Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHallucinogenist
Stranger
 User Gallery

Another casing option??
    #8984151 - 09/25/08 12:47 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I went to Lowe's yesterday evening and bought my Verm for cakes and casing, and although people, even RR, has went as far as saying if you can't do the correct 50/50 or 50/50+ casing mix, don't bother casing, I saw a bag of "mushroom compost" that I was tempted to buy.  Now, I assume by the bag it's FOR mushrooms, but even if it's a compost MADE of mushrooms, would that not be the IDEAL casing material, as it also adds extra nutrients to the mycelium?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNorton
Semi-Newbie
Female
Re: Another casing option?? [Re: Hallucinogenist]
    #8984225 - 09/25/08 01:04 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

First of all, casing should be a non-nutritious layer that gives moisture to your substrate.

Do a google search on mushroom compost. It is a waste material from commercial mushroom farms - basically, spent substrate. It is no longer useful for growing mushrooms.

Now, it may hold the moisture you're looking for in a casing layer, but it seems expensive compared to making your own 50/50  mix. If you want a pre-made casing mix, try Jiffy Mix which is 50/50+.

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
Re: Another casing option?? [Re: Hallucinogenist]
    #8984274 - 09/25/08 01:11 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

No, i dont' think so. Using a nutritous casing layer, it might get colonized, and eliminate teh point of a casing layer. A casing layer is supposed to provide a moist microclimate to encourage pin formation and provide water. Want to know how to do that without peat? Sprinkle some vermiculite, then misting it.    At the very least it should be like rolling a cake.  Thing about a strait verm casing is it can be difficult telling how much moisture it's holding. If i have no 50/50 handy, i'll put a thin layer of coir on top of the already colonized coir (or grain), and then sprinkle verm on that. It's not going to be as elite as a 50/50, but it's real easy to tell when coir gets too dry.... so it's kind of a visual aid. I think timing might be important if you put coir in a casing though, you gotta get it pinning quicker, so i usually start giving the substrate fresh air and light a day or two before i add the casing.... just to let it know what's up.

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrow
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Re: Another casing option?? [Re: ray40cal]
    #8984303 - 09/25/08 01:17 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

From the mushroom cultivator:

The casing is not designed to provide nutrients to developing mushrooms and should have LOW nutritional value compared to the substrate.  A nutritive casing supports a broader range of competitor molds.  Wood fragments and other uncomposted plant matter are prime sites fro mold growth and should be carefully screened out of a well formulated casing. 

And there you have it!

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!

I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract