Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshaihulud
Stranger
request ID of mushrooms found in southeastern Missouri
    #8962107 - 09/21/08 07:55 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Hello.  Im new to the forum, and new to hunting for mushrooms as well.  My initial interest in mushrooms was in those special variates but after my first hunt (through my wooded yard) I can already tell that even non-psychedelic mushroom hunting is going to be a lot of fun.

Anyway, I have some photos here of four mushrooms that I found.  Id love to know what they are just for curiositys sake.  Rest assured I wont be eating these or any mushrooms until I learn MUCH more about the subject.

All of these were found in basically the same conditions, in different parts of my yard.  Each of these mushrooms was found by itself, which is one of the main reasons that I didnt pick them (I dont know whether picking them will cause them to be unable to reproduce).  Im also unclear on whether its safe to handle deadly mushrooms.

There are definitely at least two different species represented here, maybe more.

Habitat:
Southeast Missouri - found beneath tree (believe primarily oak), soil in area used to form flower bed, now covered in leaves and sticks, maybe some wood chips

Gills:
Unknown (reasons explained above), except for mushroom #1, which I accidentally turned back part of the cap while trying to clear it of debris with a stick. It showed white gills.

Stem:
thick white stem, roughly 1 to 2 inches (mushroom #1)

Cap:
cap orange-ish (I'm colorblind)

Spore print color:
I didnt want to pick the mushroom as I dont know if its safe to touch, and there was only the one mushroom in this area and I didnt want to stop it reproducing.

Bruising:
see above

Mushroom #1

Mushroom #2

Mushroom #3

Mushroom #4

Thanks again if anyone can suggest what these might be.  Like I said, theres no way Im eating these, so feel free to guess if thats the best you can do.

Oh... and though I don't want to screw up the patch of them, I'm willing to go back and take more pictures, get a print, etc.  I also took those photos under poor lighting conditions, and can get better if photos if needed (assuming my crazy ass dog doesn't eat them).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: request ID of mushrooms found in southeastern Missouri [Re: shaihulud]
    #8962304 - 09/21/08 09:05 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

The first two are russula's, the next is an amanita and the last mushroom is probably an inocybe. Without more info it is hard to be more specific than genus, though the second is probably one of the Foetid russulas maybe Russula fragrantissima.

It is safe to handle poisonous species of mushrooms.

Offlineshaihulud
Stranger
Re: request ID of mushrooms found in southeastern Missouri [Re: falcon]
    #8962340 - 09/21/08 09:12 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the reply.  I may pick them and do the spore print thing later today, now that I know I can safely touch them.

Is the aminita (I understand that you might not be able to say without more information) something that I should try to eliminate from my yard?  I have a two year old son who plays out there, though generally not in the area where I found this mushroom.

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: request ID of mushrooms found in southeastern Missouri [Re: shaihulud]
    #8962407 - 09/21/08 09:27 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I'd pick them and get them out of his way until he's out of the foraging and tasting stage, the inocybe too.

OfflineBeege
gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: request ID of mushrooms found in southeastern Missouri [Re: falcon]
    #8962810 - 09/21/08 10:53 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

make sure he knows not to eat wild mushrooms, should be fine.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom