Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMycologyReports
MycoToxic
 User Gallery

Atheism
    #8953949 - 09/19/08 09:16 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I am an athesist, kind of. I believe in a higher exsistence, Not a big white man in the clouds. (if that makes sence) My personal opinion is that "god" has no direct controll over life or the decesion of life. (creation or extermination). The idea of athesim gets tossed around WAY more than 10, 20, or 30 years ago. To my fellow athesist, what are your views? Do you not believe in anything but tangeble life or is there somthing else out there? What moves you to believe this? Do drugs (physcedellic's especially) bring you closer to peace with your beliefs?

In my case religion is TOTALLy out of the question, I do not debate its effectiveness as controlling the masses, or its actually help to the human mind, but its not for me. 

This was sparked after I read an article called "why do we believe impossible things" which is something I always wondered. link below

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=5817998&page=1
Your belief
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (09/19/08 09:16 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Atheism [Re: MycologyReports]
    #8953964 - 09/19/08 09:23 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Very interesting post.:thumbup:

I'm agnostic for practical reasons.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisibledeimya
tofu and monocle
 User Gallery

Loc: ausländer.ch
    #8953974 - 09/19/08 09:26 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Other. I'm a finite sponge that doesn't believe in sponginess but use it nonetheless.

OfflineMycologyReports
MycoToxic
 User Gallery

Re: Atheism [Re: Icelander]
    #8953978 - 09/19/08 09:27 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

NICCCCEEE. 21,000 posts and you like? I feel honored.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #8953984 - 09/19/08 09:29 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I appreciate those who have not already made up their mind about the topic they share with the rest of us. Also your stated beliefs seem well thought out.:thumbup:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlinevigilant_mind
unfazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: boco
    #8953987 - 09/19/08 09:30 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Agnostic here.

OfflineIrieforester
Head to toe inH2O
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: That state seperating fro...
Re: Atheism [Re: vigilant_mind]
    #8954011 - 09/19/08 09:36 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

If you're an atheist who believes in a higher power, I believe that is technically agnostic.
Which was my answer.

--------------------
I am still and forever learning

Apollyphelion said:
You can learn A LOT from shitting in the right set and setting!:thumbup:

OfflineMycologyReports
MycoToxic
 User Gallery

Re: Atheism [Re: vigilant_mind]
    #8954013 - 09/19/08 09:37 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I appreciate those who have not already made up their mind about the topic they share with the rest of us. Also your stated beliefs seem well thought out.

I use drugs to open my mind not close it. I have a big problem with people not looking outside their box of existence, and questioning so called "truths". Also Without proof no one solution can be thought as true, therefore leaving you ignorant with out another choice if you close your mind to the other possibility's.

Quote:

If you're an atheist who believes in a higher power, I believe that is technically agnostic.
Which was my answer.

Sorry about not including that into the choices. And yes you are correct. Thank you for your input

Edited by MycologyReports (09/19/08 09:39 AM)

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Atheism [Re: Irieforester]
    #8954026 - 09/19/08 09:43 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Agnostic
  1. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
  2. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.

Quote:

Atheist
Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.

Quote:

Theist
Belief in the existence of a god or gods.

I think that the OP is a theist, though not a believer in the Christian version of God.  The second option in the poll "atheist but believe in a higher being," is contradictory. 

OfflineMycologyReports
MycoToxic
 User Gallery

Re: Atheism [Re: Veritas]
    #8954052 - 09/19/08 09:49 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I think that the OP is a theist, though not a believer in the Christian version of God.  The second option in the poll "atheist but believe in a higher being," is contradictory. 

AGREED. do you know how to change polls after they are posted? The option should be agnostic. Thanks for your input but I believe I'm more of an agnostic than a Theist.

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #8954060 - 09/19/08 09:52 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

How can you be agnostic if you believe in a higher being? :confused:

I don't know about editing the poll.  It is not available to me as a moderator, but might be available to you if you click "edit" on your original post.  :shrug:

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#8954103 - 09/19/08 10:10 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Pragmatic atheists represent.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Atheism [Re: deCypher]
    #8954144 - 09/19/08 10:26 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Maybe someone might help with my own classification...

I seem to open to the idea of a mixed creationism and evolution.

Not so much in the believed idea that a deity created the world and life, but that it is a possibility.  More so rather I think life more likely has been spawned or stirred by some type of other life here on earth.

Imagine first off, that soon we humans will be able to create life.  Already we can very closely simulate it, and through artificial intelligence provoke some type of mini-universe.  Whether that be digital or physical, it could still be classified as life at one point.  And if we, such imperfect beings could create life.  Who is to say that something else could have stirred life?  Picked apart the building blocks of life, the physical or mental realm (much like science) and have stirred life. 

I find that mini-scenario much more plausible than a big man floating on a cloud per-se that created the world in seven days.

I find that the purpose of religion is an external seeking of understanding and direction that really... comes from within ourselves.  I think many cultures and people have expressed themselves and created religion to explain and help guide themselves through life, when really all these external answers that it is supposed to explain are all within ourselves. 

I have felt that psychedelic's helped me to understand that within our own minds and bodies we already hold the key to understanding life and meaning.  If it has taken the earth millions and millions of years of life to eventually create this being that we are now, we have SO MUCH built into us that our current senses of here, now, sight, smell, touch as so bent on immediate experience we can't yet discovery all the information built into us.  But we are starting to.

I think we will all eventually discover this in ourselves in time.  But in the past and currently, our created religions have helped to satisfy the majority of the populations with what we are.

It is hard for me to explain my views with a simply forum post, that is a basic run down.

--------------------

200 years from now, we will look back and laugh at ourselves for how stupid we were.
My Glovebox
Find a respected member of the community and study them.  I give thanks to: RogerRabbit, agar, hyphae, Nibin, fahtster, The shroomy 1, monstermitch, FooMan, HippieChick, Blue Helix, eatyualive, mycofile, and many, many more.
Never accept mediocrity, always return the love that is given to you.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Atheism [Re: shroomzey]
    #8954157 - 09/19/08 10:30 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

shroomzey said:
More so rather I think life more likely has been spawned or stirred by some type of other life here on earth.

Which only begs the question, what created this other life?  You're only postponing the eventual decision to either say life originates via a combination of random molecules, or that a supernatural Deity originated it.

--------------------

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8954187 - 09/19/08 10:41 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

You're right.  Its hard for me to try to reach past the grasp that we have just on this earth.  To say all life has been created or was simply atoms colliding is something so beyond our comprehension... I think it is so far-fetched that is creates more problems than solutions, right now.  Focus purely on ourselves, and all life on earth.  Let's break everything down backwards, from what we currently know and that road will lead us to that answer.  We're jumping the gun.

"This happened!" .. " No this happened!" 

Why don't we figure out what's happening right now, and exactly what we are first?

--------------------

200 years from now, we will look back and laugh at ourselves for how stupid we were.
My Glovebox
Find a respected member of the community and study them.  I give thanks to: RogerRabbit, agar, hyphae, Nibin, fahtster, The shroomy 1, monstermitch, FooMan, HippieChick, Blue Helix, eatyualive, mycofile, and many, many more.

OfflineMycologyReports
MycoToxic
 User Gallery

#8954342 - 09/19/08 11:25 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

or that a supernatural Deity originated it.

Postponing agreed.

Shroomzy you broke it down, LIFE, as it is understood by me, or very closely.

The Cypher- what are your views on the subject? Do you believe the deity explantion?

These question cannot be answered at this time in the human race's technological development, but I do not believe it is unanswerable.

The fact that we have come this far, as far as laws of force, understanding of complex cognitive thought, and use of complex tools simply stated, blows my mind.

If there were a diety, Why would he not help us along in the use of our tools we were given, senses, cognitive thought, ect.?

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#8954348 - 09/19/08 11:26 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Personally, I'd guess that life on Earth originated via random collision of molecules until the first self-replicating compound formed.

But I'm entirely open as to what started the Big Bang.

--------------------

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8954371 - 09/19/08 11:33 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

If there were a diety, Why would he not help us along in the use of our tools we were given, senses, cognitive thought, ect.?

If there is a diety, who says it should care?  That it must love us or want us, pay attention or even have the same feelings that we do?

The idea of a diety is so non understandable.  For all we know, "it" could have set up the rules and laws of physics and then started a test run to see what might happen.  We could be a universe floating in a petri dish under a microscope.  Doesn't mean it would care.  For all we know we could be some experiment.

I say we figure out the rules of the game that we're playing by first.  That should have priority over who made the game.

--------------------

My Glovebox

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8954391 - 09/19/08 11:37 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The Cypher said:
Personally, I'd guess that life on Earth originated via random collision of molecules until the first self-replicating compound formed.

But I'm entirely open as to what started the Big Bang.

I feel the same way, I think it's way more probable.  I just don't understand how some people can deny the possibility.  Maybe a diety made the particles collide.  *shrug*  Abnegation is what is holding the human mind behind.  Why do we have it?  (I don't want to de-rail the thread but I think it is a good question)

--------------------

My Glovebox

OfflineMycologyReports
MycoToxic
 User Gallery

#8954536 - 09/19/08 12:04 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

(I don't want to de-rail the thread but I think it is a good question)

:grin:
Since I started the thread, de-rail as needed. These existences help to explain my question in the first place.

I even read a Digg article saying that some scientist has pondered the possibility that we could basically be part of a huge organism as opposed to being the biggest thing imaginable. Blew my mind to hear a scientist think that way. Who knows we very well could be, even if that organism is living in a petri dish.lol

So if not the Deity, and not an experiment from which the Deity created, what other possibility's can you guys imagine?

Quote:

say we figure out the rules of the game that we're playing by first.

what "rules" are your refering to? the science of the world? The science of life? A different answer consisting of no science in general?

Edited by MycologyReports (09/19/08 12:07 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder