Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAdoreChampignons
Mycophilic One

Loc: Seti Alpha 5
Ever Attempt Concurrent-Convergent Selective Breeding?
    #8941834 - 09/16/08 11:24 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I was thinking today about how a multi characteristic selective breeding program could be expedited.  For example, if I wanted to breed a mushroom strain that had shorter stems, larger caps, higher yield, and lower abort ratios, could that selection process be done simultaneously and still be time efficient?  May be.  I think the efforts could be done initially separately and then converge.

The effort could be started initially as a goal for four distinctly different strains.  The goal for the first strain, or Strain A, would be shorter stems.  The goal for Strain B would larger mushroom caps.  The goal for Strain C would be to have higher yields.  For the last strain, Strain D, the goal would be simply the development of a strain with the lowest abort ratio.  The effort to develop the four different strains could be done concurrently.

Once the four strains have been establish and stabilized, the strains can then be merged.  Strain A could be mated with Strain B in an attempt to create a Strain AB that exhibits characteristics of both Strains A and B.  Strains C and D could me also mated in attempt to create a Strain CD. 

Once the two secondary strains, Strains AB and Strain CD, have had their characteristics confirmed and stabilized, they can be  taken to the last step. In an attempt at convergence, strains AB and CD are mated to create the final strain, Strain ABCD.

While it sounds easy as pie on paper, I’m sure it’s still a hell of a lot of work to do. 

What do you think?  Was this a novel idea or did I re-invent the wheel again?  If it's an old idea, what are the pit falls of this procedure that are not readily apparent?

Mycophilic One

--------------------
There is no such thing as a dumb question.  There are just curious people trying to learn something new. 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Ever Attempt Concurrent-Convergent Selective Breeding? (moved) [Re: AdoreChampignons]
    #8943390 - 09/17/08 09:37 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

This thread was moved from Advanced Mycology.

Reason:
Most of those variables are environment related, not genetic.
RR

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract