Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleAdoreChampignons
Mycophilic One

Loc: Seti Alpha 5
Can A Mycologist Be Fooled?
    #8941333 - 09/16/08 09:25 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I was wondering about something today.  Can a mycologist be fooled?  If I were to successfully selectively breed a strain of Agaricus bisporus such that the mushroom cap narrowed and elongated to look like Coprinus comatus, what would a mycologist say if he were limited to only performing microscopic and macroscopic examination of it and told it came from my backyard?

If the mushroom cap didn't fall a part into an inky mess, I'm sure he'd say it wasn't C. comatus.  However, what else could a mycologist conclude?  Would he be able to conclude it was a strain of A. bisporus?  Would he think that he found a new mushroom species?  Would he even suspect that his skills at identification were being tested on a heavily selectively breed mushroom strain?

Comments anyone?

Mycophilic One

--------------------
There is no such thing as a dumb question.  There are just curious people trying to learn something new. 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
Re: Can A Mycologist Be Fooled? [Re: AdoreChampignons]
    #8941551 - 09/16/08 10:08 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Would a mycologist that can microscopically examine a Penis Envy mushroom think its something other than Ps cubensis.

Probably not.

While macroscopic details may be changed by breeding the chances that microscopic features would also be changed are very unlikely.

However, many mycologist are often wrong in their IDs due to limited info or being unfamiliar with a certain species or genus.

--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus olivaceus prints.

InvisibleAdoreChampignons
Mycophilic One

Loc: Seti Alpha 5
Re: Can A Mycologist Be Fooled? [Re: BlimeyGrimey]
    #8941567 - 09/16/08 10:12 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

BlimeyGrimey said:
...While macroscopic details may be changed by breeding the chances that microscopic features would also be changed are very unlikely...

Thank you.  I had a feeling that the microscopic examination would be the key.

--------------------
There is no such thing as a dumb question.  There are just curious people trying to learn something new. 

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Can A Mycologist Be Fooled? (moved) [Re: AdoreChampignons]
    #8943379 - 09/17/08 09:34 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

This thread was moved from Advanced Mycology.

Reason:
Not advanced mycology.  Moved to culitvation

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate