Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecamplo
Freedom!

Uncased sub specifics.
    #8939032 - 09/16/08 01:17 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

So I got this tray that is composed of straw/coffee/coir right? Heavy on the straw, medium on the coir and lean but substantial on the coffee.

As we all know straw will has a hard time being colonized on the top layer where the straw is more loose and strandy compared to if something was compacting it down. So Im looking at my substrate, looking 90-95 some odd percent colonized surface with the anxious eyes of a first time grower. So I'm like fuck its go time.

I try to remove sub from its tray keeping it in its trash bag liner. Wow this sub is holding together like Ive read it would but it sure is flimsy which I attribute to being only 1inch thick wet, loose substrate. My plan was to dunk it and then starting pinning procedure.

I must add that I turned the substrate over to find an even better colonized, compact flat surface that I decided to make the fruiting surface. I was concerned at first that maybe this would be in the likeness of overlay but then If you remember the whole surface of a straw log is compacted straw just like the bottom side of my tray that I turned into the top side.

So I pour on some water that had been cooled in the freezer. I hate to say it but I added a small amount of lime to the water and one teaspoon of bleach between two gallons. Who knows what the lime will do. My guess was that it would keep the outside of the sub bitter tasting to contams. So I let it soak for several hours then thinking that the sub would still hold together in its saturated state I tried to remove it from the tray and cracked the shit out of one the corners. Then I remembered an RR post saying to just pour out as much water as you can and not worry about draining every single bit of water, the sub will soak it up eventually FAE permitting. So I pour out the water and then cried for a few minutes, then I decided to take some lime and sprinkle it on the wounds I created from breaking it during dunking, and eventually gave the whole surface a light sprinkle.

Ok so its day 3 after birthing, my humidification system is working (wow believe that, No lid, 100% humidity plus)

The first day I adjusted the humidity to the level where it would barely hold 100% (actually it was maybe a tab bit higher) Next day, doing some inspections  and it looks to me that the subs surface looks dry. I talk myself into to touching it and it feels dry as it looks. Hygrometer is saying that its 100 or so percent. Whats going on? Well it seems to be that the environment is causing more evaporation than moisture being provided from the humidifier. Something that I did not expect to see, as it was very easy to create amounts of condensation on the plastic trays surface. So what I ended up doing was piping both outputs from the air pump directly into the humidifier to get enough mist accumulated to result in some sort of saturation. Now I just leave it on long enough to get the surface glistening, let it run as long as feel it should, and then turn it off.... Pretty easy. No lid. Today I tested to see what the humidity was near the surface of the sub several minutes after turning off the system and it was at 90% and climbing.
The surface of the tub seems to be absorbing and evaporating the moisture well. The mycelium did dry out at one point, I wonder whether that will hurt pinning performance. Same question about using the surface of the sub that was once the botton before birthing.

Whish me luck...

--------------------
:three:

Edited by camplo (09/16/08 01:20 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecamplo
Freedom!

Re: Uncased sub specifics. [Re: camplo]
    #8940135 - 09/16/08 05:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Bump

--------------------
:three:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate