Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleimnotthere
top layer of coir won't colonize. Using RogerRabbit's teks and advice, so his comments would great!
    #8923859 - 09/13/08 02:22 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I respect everyones opinions, but I used RR's teks and advice so perhaps he can enlighten me.

Tommorrow is gonna be day 20 since I spawned 3 qts of Rye to coir, filling a 12 qt sweater box.  Roughly a 1:3 ratio (3 qts rye to 9 qts coir, filling the box - 4 inch deep).

From what I have read 20 days is too long.

My assumption is that it is well colonized on the inside, just the top layer is not quite complete. 

I squeezed that coir till virtually no water came out, but it is possible that top layer is too wet and is colonizing slowly. 

I also put that top layer of coir on pretty fluffy and light - could this be why the mycelium can't quite reach and colonize it all?

little bit of moisture on the mycelium, but not pooling.  I have been taking the lid off and shaking out the water that is on the inside lid.

Should I case this? - it has been almost 3 weeks since I did the spawn run.  Not sure if it will finish!

Next time I will try and make my coir dryer.  It is actually a Coir/Vermiculite/Gypsum substrate.  Just the verm I had left, probably barely 10%.  And not much gypsum, less than 10%.

MOSTLY I just want some advice as to continue.  I plan on casing with jiffy mix.  Its worked well for me... but I don't wanna contaminate my substrate by casing it before colonized.... but at this rate it may not finish.

I also considered turning the tubs upside down, while holding the block of sub in and allowing that uncolonized coir to fall out....

or I could just case and wait 3-5 days then fruit them shits.  I got a couple tubs that all look like this, all almost 3 weeks incubating at room temp (75-78)...

Thanks trusted cultivators!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: top layer of coir won't colonize. Using RogerRabbit's teks and advice, so his comments would great! [Re: imnotthere]
    #8924003 - 09/13/08 02:59 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Did you have the lids on the whole time?

Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Invisibleimnotthere
Re: top layer of coir won't colonize. Using RogerRabbit's teks and advice, so his comments would great! [Re: HippieChick]
    #8924072 - 09/13/08 03:14 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

yeah, lids on the whole time.  Except when checking every couple days.  They are getting enough gas exchange.  I've had problems in the past with early pins, i think because I wasn't getting enough C02 buildup, and getting too much FAE.

No holes cut, but these lids are not at all a tight seal.  The foil goes around cause before I had those problems like I said.

From what I understand you need quite a bit of CO2 buildup, without complete air tightness in order for the mycelium to colonize....
this corret?

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: top layer of coir won't colonize. Using RogerRabbit's teks and advice, so his comments would great! [Re: imnotthere]
    #8924468 - 09/13/08 04:41 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yes , CO2 build up is good during colonization but you also need gas exchange . I asked because I had some stall and when I added an extra hole , in the center of my lid , it spead up the process:thumbup:

I've fruited bulk sub's that looked like that , the entire top not fully colonized , and didn't have any problems . Even cased a few like that .

If the center and bottom seem pretty much colonized , I'd say fruit them . You can try removing the uncolonized sub. if you want . If they seem to have stalled , I'm not sure I'd apply a casing layer , they might not get through it as quick as aggresive mycelium might .

Sometimes things like this just happen . Reap what you can and move on:grin: Could be anything and you might not ever find out why:confused:

Good Luck

Peace,Love and Happiness

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness

I LUV My Greenhouse

My First Pans

Invisibleimnotthere
Re: top layer of coir won't colonize. Using RogerRabbit's teks and advice, so his comments would great! [Re: HippieChick]
    #8924571 - 09/13/08 05:00 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

yeah, but this seems to happen on all my spawn runs.

Would it be a moisture problem?  I over saturate my coir with 170 degree water, then when cool (next day) I squeeze out the excess.  Maybe I don't squeeze hard enough or I should go a different route with my coir.

Will it hurt to give them 3-4 more days incubating?

At day 20 do you think its done.... or just slow???  Its been steady progress the whole time - even in the last 4-5 days it has been progressing I beleive....

If it hasn't progressed more then I think i'll case and fruit...

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #8924657 - 09/13/08 05:17 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

There's no question at 20 days it's slow,lol.

Do your other one's fruit OK ?

3-4 days won't hurt . They'll pin and fruit when they're ready . Even if they're not fully colonized and you don't subject them to fruiting conditions . I threw a contaminated bulk on my back porch, never uncovered it , forgot about it and when I finally stumbled across it , it had fruited on it's own with no help from me

If all your's are taking 20+ daysd to colonize , somethings not exactly right .

Peace,Love and Happiness

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness

I LUV My Greenhouse

My First Pans

InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

#8924683 - 09/13/08 05:20 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

well, the coir does look pretty dark.. it might have been a lil too wet.. I have noticed that when I get it a lil too wet, it tends to look just like yours.. kinda spotty.. I would case and fruit, but thats just me.. lol.. a couple more day will not hurt at all

Invisibleimnotthere
Re: top layer of coir won't colonize. Using RogerRabbit's teks and advice, so his comments would great! [Re: DJYoshaBYD]
    #8924755 - 09/13/08 05:38 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

yeah, my other ones fruited ok.  I've yet to get nice even flushes.  I get more like batches.  Picking off fruits almost everyday, instead of all at once.  I feel like even when this happens I get pretty good overall yields and quality - just not in convenient flushes...

hope you didn't eat those, lol.  I recall a post you said you did eat some nasty ones like that, did I dream that or just make it up? I guess they don't hurt you if the green mold isn't on the fruit bodies..? I've been reading for about a year and just recently started to post - I'm a good noobie with semi-advanced questions!  I just realized I got a rating a while back with props.

Is there anything the problem could be besides moisture content?  It smells good, so I beleive no contaminants.

I am coming to the conclusion that all it could be is my coir being just a little too wet.... cause they usually end up fruiting pretty well - just no clear and distinct flushes... as I beleive these will too.

I am just dying to get this down to a T.  I want my solid white sub and add my casing with 3-5 days and then bam!

HippieChick- If and when you do coir - how to you bring to field capacity?

Like I said I overly saturate with 170 degree water, sit for a day, then squeeze out excess as I make my tubs.  Perhaps this method is bad???  I do it in big buckets you know.

Invisibleimnotthere
    #8924774 - 09/13/08 05:42 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

will the overly moist sub benefit me when it comes time to fruit?

Maybe I'll add just 1 gallon of 170 degree water to my coir next time instead of submerging it.  But when I use gypsum, which I always do, and sometimes verm... It seems like it would be hard to mix these ingredients evenly if I only have 1 gallon water...

I read somewhere that 1 brick will hold 1 gallon of water perfectly at field capacity...

or should I just squeeze them shits harder?

Does poo have the same issue? - where it can be easy to be too wet.  I have been hesitant to deal with the poo, cause I don't know where to get it and I like coir and the price... got them 3 bricks for like $6.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate