Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejohnnyboy
Bastard Son

a couple flowhood questions
    #8906347 - 09/10/08 10:53 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i just got a laminar flowhood off from e-bay and just has a couple questions...

-how often does the hepa filter need to be changed?  and depending on how he stored it do you think it's safe to use right now with the one that's in it?  what if it's full of dust?

-how do you store a flowhood?  should i cover it with something when it's not in use to prevent dust from falling on it?

-lastley,  i know that i should let it run for an hour or so before i do any work in front of it but what if the room it's going to be in isnt sealed?  like should i put towels covering the crack under the door?  and is is okay if your doing flowhood work in the same room that you grow in?  i was going to put it in my little walk in closet that i did all my glovebox work in but it wont fit in there.

thanks for the help in advance everyone.

--------------------
I keep the bible in a pool of blood so that none of it's lies will affect me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMycoAu
5thKingdomCome
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: a couple flowhood questions [Re: johnnyboy]
    #8906556 - 09/10/08 11:34 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Try checking for leaks by setting out agar plates open to allow possible contaminates to settle.  If you tilt them a little bit towards the surface of the filter, they are more likely to catch something if it is there.  Leave them out for at least 2 hours.  (Be sure to run your hood for at least 30 minutes prior to testing.) 

If you don't observe more a one CFU on a set of ~10 plates, you should be good to go.  There are better (but more expensive) ways to test hoods.  The HEPA should not be changed very often all, probably only once every 5-10 years.  The prefilters on the other hand, should be changed as frequently as needed to eliminate large amounts of build up. 

If you store the hood in a "dirty" room (more than Class 7 or 8 - ISO), then a simply covering of a trash bag or plexi-glass on hinges will work.  The major problems come from damage to the filter caused by large particulate or collisions from carelessness. 

As far location, cleaner is ALWAYS better.  Having said that, I use a 6 foot hood in my GARAGE!!  I have even run it on a windless day with the door to the garage open (the big car-port door).  No contaminations even after 2 hours of agar-to-agar transfers.    However, I do NOT recommend this practice (being in a dirty room).  That was solely a test on my hood to see just what I could get away with and the location is a matter of necessity.  ASAP, I will be moving it to another location. 

Remember, the hood provides the right environment to prevent your environmental contaminations, but the real key to contamination prevention is utilizing proper aseptic technique.  Wipe down everything before it goes in the hood unless it already sterile (objects inside a PC that are being taken out in the hood).  Use gloves, disinfect with alcohol every chance you get, move slowly and methodically inside (in front of) and near the hood. 

I do not recommend putting your hood in the same room as your grow room.  The spore load from many mushrooms, especially those commonly cultivated, will DRASTICALLY shorten the life span of your pre-filters, your HEPA filter and the fan motor. 

Just pick a clean spot in a small room with little air flow in and out.  Make sure it is well-lit (just to help watch for problems).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds