Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: tartarus
Should I block 'edu' in Peer guardian?
    #8901762 - 09/09/08 12:01 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Title pretty much says it all.  I'm not usualy a big downloader, but lately I've had a craving for movies, especially since someone I know stopped working at blockbuster. :lol:
Anyway I use peer guardian 2 when I'm downloading torrents, and I update all 20 lists.
I think it's had an impact on my download speeds, especialy on ones that have a low number of peers.  I'm just wondering, do I really need to block 'edu'?  I mean, I know a lot of universities/colleges block p2p, but what about the ones that don't? 

Would unblocking edu have any sort of negative impact?

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: Should I block 'edu' in Peer guardian? [Re: RuNE]
    #8901794 - 09/09/08 12:07 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldn't think so. They EDU sites/users will not be monitoring what you download. If anything they will be watching what their students/faculty download.

It happened here not too long ago at the University of Alabama. They didn't care what the girl was uploading they were more concerned about what she was downloading. So, she had to pay a fine.

I would be more concerned about my ISP than the sites I download from. I know cable companies are beginning to watch what you download. The cable company can see basically everything you do. Thats why I have a DSL line, and a cable line. DSL lines are more secure, not only from other users, but from the damn ISP too.

--------------------

OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Should I block 'edu' in Peer guardian? [Re: MHbound]
    #8901923 - 09/09/08 12:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

That's what I thought too, just wasn't sure.

I have DSL btw.  As for spying, couldn't your ISP see what you were doing on ANY sort of connection? Well anyway, my ISP started out small and personal, and they're really cool people. They openly communicate with the users on dslreports.com

Their office took a day off to go to a net neutrality rally in front of parliment. :lol:  There are times when the CEO gets info out to the customers via forums faster than he can get it to the rest of the team in the office.  That and it's cheaper than Bell, whom they buy their lines off of.  :thumbup:
I'm not worried about them spying on me.

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: Should I block 'edu' in Peer guardian? [Re: RuNE]
    #8902478 - 09/09/08 02:40 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

That's what I thought too, just wasn't sure.

I have DSL btw.  As for spying, couldn't your ISP see what you were doing on ANY sort of connection? Well anyway, my ISP started out small and personal, and they're really cool people. They openly communicate with the users on dslreports.com

Their office took a day off to go to a net neutrality rally in front of parliment.  There are times when the CEO gets info out to the customers via forums faster than he can get it to the rest of the team in the office.  That and it's cheaper than Bell, whom they buy their lines off of. 
I'm not worried about them spying on me.

Who is it? They sound really cool. Most small places like they don't limit your speed as much, and won't let the goverment monitor connections for downloads. Obviously they log how much you download/upload thats just normal, but they probably won't release it without a court order of some sort.

--------------------

OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Should I block 'edu' in Peer guardian? [Re: MHbound]
    #8902705 - 09/09/08 03:33 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well, if you mean Nazi America as the US, you probably can't get it there.  :wink:

It's Teksavvy, based in Ontario, Canoodia.

http://www.teksavvy.com/en/index.asp

They used to be pretty small, but people caught on and now it's the largest 'private' ISP now next to the 1 cable (Rogers) and 1 DSL (bell) monopoly alternatives.  As on the topic of limits, they buy (rent) their lines from Bell, since they own the infrastructure in the city.  The problem is, Bell has imposed limits recently, and it trickles down to everyone under them.  My line used to be 'unlimited DSL' for the longest time, but as technology and speeds moved forward, people began to download more and more.  There comes a point where this can become expensive, so they imposed limits, and gave 2 options:

Premium (routing. Lower pings for gamers and such)
5M/800k 200G/mo. $29.95/mo.
Unlimited
5M/800k Unlimited $39.95/mo.

This does not include a modem rental, which you have to pay-to-own, or 1 time purchase (much better deal than renting!)

Considering some ISPs enforce a 30-60g limit rule, that 200g is very generous.  You can also buy 'blocks' of 100g for $10 extra per month if you're a crazy downloader.

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order