Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

Loc: Elsewhere.
Cooling off a closet garden
    #8885115 - 09/06/08 01:37 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Ok. My roommate has a LEGAL indoor garden going in his closet (He grows for a patient). The space is about 2' deepx 4' widex 8' tall. His current setup is a single 600 watt digi switchable with an air coolable hood. The hood has 2x250 CFM fans. One sucking "cool" air in and blowing it over the bul. and the other one sucking the hot air out. There is a 12" oscillating fan that is going on high. The lighting cycle is 18 on 6 off. Currently the temp is 82.7. Too high as far as him and I are concerned. We live in an apartment, so we can't exactly leave the closet doors open at night. So, my question is, how the fuck do you get this thing cooled down? I used to grow a lovely garden of several varieties of herbs, before I got in trouble, and I had 1k watt, 600 watt, 400 watt, and a propane burner to create CO2. But, it was a much bigger area, and I had an AC going at the other end of the apartment. My room averaged in the low 80's with absolutely no air conditioner in the garden area. I feel that the perfect temp for such gardens is 75 ish. Anyway, again, how do we go about cooling it down? Any suggestions will be gladly welcomed. Thanks.

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: Cooling off a closet garden [Re: misos]
    #8885390 - 09/06/08 05:04 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

add another extract fan.

--------------------
View My Gallery

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #8886176 - 09/06/08 10:38 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Leds ?

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Invisiblecricket
Lord Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: in my house, in front of ...
Re: Cooling off a closet garden [Re: Brainiac]
    #8886660 - 09/06/08 12:18 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

You have three choices.
Either remove hot air, supply cool air, or improve recirculation.
What kind of electrical/carpentry skills do you have?
Is odor control an issue? If it is you will want to maintain negative pressure in the grow room. That means sucking air out.

If you have access to the attic or crawlspace, it would not be to hard to install a bathroom type vent-fan. Use flex duct to pipe the hot air out. An in-line odor control devise can easily be added to flex duct. This would be the best choice. It would allow you to keep the garden at negative pressure drawing in fresh, cooled air as you remove the heat. This introduction of fresh air will benefit the plants more then just recirculating old.
Wall damage depends on how you mount and wire it together. You will have to cut either a 8x8 square hole for the fan or a 4 inch round hole for the flex duct. Saving the cut-out pieces makes it easy to repair when you decide to move. Tie into the (pre-timed) power supplied to the lights so you won't need to run wires or cut a hole for a wall switch.

If that is not an option you will have to force fresh cool air in under the door or through a wall. This could cause problems with hot, scented air being forced back out into the living area.

If you are unable to provide a fresh air exchange, your last option would be to improve your recirculation with a fan on the left pointing up and a fan on the right pointing down. You want the air to travel all the way to the cooler floor of the room instead of just around the light were the heat source is.

Let us know what you go with.

--------------------
I tried to leave my signature but it didn't work...
By the way... Does anybody know how to get sharpie markers off of a computer screen?

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

Re: Cooling off a closet garden [Re: cricket]
    #8886927 - 09/06/08 01:31 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I do indeed have carpentry and electrical skills. However, such a thing is not an option. The way I have it now, not sure if I explained it or not, I have cool air being sucked in from a much cooler room, the flex duct is laying on the floor to get the coolest air possible, and is blowing over the light bulb, while the other fan is obviously sucking that hot air out. The exit flex duct runs to the top of the closet and blows out at the highest point into the room. As for odor control, he bought a 4x12 activated carbon filter. This is all taking place within one room. There is a box fan that is sitting in the window to blow cool air in, so that the hood intake fan will have cooler air to suck in. And luckily that fan happens to point right at the closet. So, what I'm gonna have him do is just open the closet door about a foot to allow some cool air to come in where the oscillating fan is. That way it will be blowing slightly cooler air than the warm air inside the closet. I also forgot to mention that the left side of the closet, where the cool air is being sucked in at, the closet is open about 6-8 inches, so that will allow for some warm air to escape as well.

Light leak isn't too much of a problem, since he has some fluorescent lights in the corners of his room and has them on at night to mask the orange glow. I have been outside to check 5 times to make sure it doesn't look suspicious. The lights are on at night, since that is when it's coolest, and luckily he stays up all night due to his work schedule, so, having a light on all night won't be too bad. This will only occur during the veg cycle. By the time they flower, it will be close to October, and will be cool enough to have the lights on during the day.

There is also a shelf in the closet, and I was thinking about getting a little fan to help move the hot air out through the opening at the top where the exit duct is. It may not help a whole lot, but 1-3 degrees is a start. Any more suggestions will be welcomed. Need more info, let me know. Thank you. I will provide pics later in the day if necessary. The roomies sleeping.

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

Invisiblecricket
Lord Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: in my house, in front of ...
    #8887376 - 09/06/08 03:56 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I knew a guy that made a water cooled system using an aquarium of tropical fish. It cooled the lights and heated the fish. Sorry no details on construction. If I can track him down I'll ask for more info.

Are both intake and outlet ducts, fan powered?
-or-
Are you just using natural convection to move the air?
If you have fans installed... I have found that air flow is better if the fan pulls air out of duct instead of pushing air into it.  (I'm still not sure why)
If you're using convection... Even small fans make a big difference. I have used computer fans for cooling areas MUCH LARGER then a computer cabinet. They are labeled for 12 volts, but you can use a higher voltage with most of them. Experiment with this. If voltage is too high or you use low quality fans, you will burn up the motor.
I have an 8'x4'x4' reptile cage, 3 walls, top, and bottom are 3/4" plywood, 1 wall is 3/8" glass. Heat retention was a big issue until I vented it with two 12v computer fans on a 38v DC transformer from an old printer. It's been running for almost 2 years nonstop. The cage has UV Herp. lights and ground heaters that produce produce higher temps then my plant fixture did in the same enclosure.

Do you have central heat and air?  Any chance you can tie in your intake with an Ac duct.  The coil will still be cool between run cycles. This can help alot. Even if your not running Ac. this will help if your main unit is in a part of the house that is normally cooler then the grow area, ie. Basement or shady side of building.
  I tried it with the cage mentioned above. I only changed it because it was too cold for reptiles. You will notice plants showing different traits as they mature in a cool growing season. They often produce more red-blue coloring. Some also have improved flavor and smoother burn when grown in cold temps.

If the door is open anyways, you can get a fan on the shelf blowing out. Don't run continuously. You should time it to come on after the light turns on but before the temp climbs too high. This will save energy as well as reduce problems with odor.

How is the filter setup? In-line or open air? I think that filter will be too small for controlling odors from an open closet. That could become a bigger problem then the heat.

--------------------
I tried to leave my signature but it didn't work...
By the way... Does anybody know how to get sharpie markers off of a computer screen?

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery
Re: Cooling off a closet garden [Re: cricket]
    #8887574 - 09/06/08 04:55 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Alright. I am using 2x6" inch inline fans for the hood. The filter will run 10 minutes before the lights go out and then about an hour after that; the doors will be closed at this point. Then it will come on again 10 minutes before lights go on and will turn off 30 minutes after.

As for central air, no. We live in an apartment. I have had 4-5 gardens before and have a generally decent idea of how to manage it. However, I have only had one closet grow and was like "fuck this shit, this sucks". Then I moved to just walling off half of my room. If I were doing it, I would wall off part of the room, but this isn't my doing.  As for the PC fans, that what I used to use, before I got caught. IDk. It's 87 right now. It's too fucking hot, and my roommate is a fucking nutsack and really wants to do it, but isn't motivated enough to do what it takes. Fuck that guy.

--------------------

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
    #8889179 - 09/07/08 12:21 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Am I the only one that thinks 600W is a little much for 8 sqft?

EG

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery
Re: Cooling off a closet garden [Re: ethnoguy]
    #8890892 - 09/07/08 01:10 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

75 watts per plant minimum. 6 plants. That gives about 90-95% usable wattage per plant. So, I am pretty sure that isn't the case... Not to mention the  fact that it doesn't say anywhere in my posts that the grow is 8 sq.ft. That would be pointless. The grow area is more like 64sq. ft. :wink:

--------------------

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
    #8890904 - 09/07/08 01:14 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Sorry. I guess I was thinking about another post or something...... Sometimes I drink to much and do stupid shit :spank:

EG

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery
Re: Cooling off a closet garden [Re: ethnoguy]
    #8892468 - 09/07/08 06:48 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

LOL. I'm guilty of the same...  But, what can ya do? :shrug:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies