Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Mycosupply composted manure?
    #8880006 - 09/04/08 11:06 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Im thinking of ordering some to try it out; has ayone had any good/bad experiences with it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGroomies
Ghost
 User Gallery

Re: Mycosupply composted manure? [Re: MisterMuscaria]
    #8880078 - 09/04/08 11:24 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

##############

***post deleted due to breaking the rules of this forum***
-Roadkill

--------------------
:hotidea::hotidea::hotidea:

Edited by Roadkill (09/05/08 09:07 AM)

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
    #8881197 - 09/05/08 08:38 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Since I work for the company, I'm bias :smile:

But I do have to correct you, our manure is not compost.  Our manure is 100% dehydrated manure, nothing is added or composted/mixed into the manure.  Compost and manure are two different items.

If you need any information, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Thanks,
Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

OfflineGroomies
Ghost
 User Gallery

Re: Mycosupply composted manure? [Re: Lana]
    #8884782 - 09/05/08 11:34 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Geezz what i said about buying shit was just as joke.

--------------------
:hotidea::hotidea::hotidea:

InvisibleSmushroom
Avid Learner
    #8913160 - 09/11/08 03:42 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I have used it and I really like it. mycosupply is the fastest shipper I have dealt with out of all the sponsors (I haven't dealt with all and I am closer to where they ship from than the others).

It is dehydrated as opposed to dried manure. It is also pretty finely ground. It provides more nutrients per lb (my opinion) than drying your own and shredding it. You have to be careful though, you can't use it 60/40 like you can with dried manure, I wouldn't recommend using more than 20% manure or it will compact your substrate too much when wet.

Right now I am personally using 30% straw, 30% coir, 10% coffee, 10% mycosupply manure, 10% gypsum, 10% verm. I like variety in my substates and that works well for me.

Offlinelottashit
Master Composter
Male
Loc: Central Texas USA
    #8916327 - 09/12/08 01:30 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I suggest one read this!!!!The U.S. regulations for organic production require that raw animal manure must be composted unless it is applied to land used for a crop not intended for human consumption; or is incorporated into the soil not less than 120 days prior to the harvest of a product whose edible portion has direct contact with soil; or is incorporated into the soil not less than 90 days prior to the harvest of a product whose edible portion does not have direct contact with the soil surface or soil particles. See 7 CFR 205.203 (c)(1) and (2).

The requirements for making compost are regulated as well, and are designed to encourage soil health while minimizing risks to human health or the environment. 

What is the definition of compost?
The use of manure in organic farm practices is covered in the National Organic Program Rule’s definition of compost (7 CFR 205.2):

Compost. The product of a managed process through which microorganisms break down plant and animal materials into more available forms suitable for application to the soil. Compost must be produced through a process that combines plant and animal materials with an initial Carbon:Nitrogen ratio of between 25:1 and 40:1. Producers using an in-vessel or static aerated pile system must maintain the composting materials at a temperature between 131 deg. F and 170 deg. F for 3 days. Producers using a windrow system must maintain the composting materials at a temperature between 131 deg. F and 170 deg. F for 15 days, during which time, the materials must be turned a minimum of five times. 

Why is composted manure part of organic farming practices?
Composted manure is a primary source of soil fertility for organic farmers.  It offers a natural means to cycle plant nutrients.  As such, animal manure forms an important part of organic soil fertility programs.
(Source: B.P. Baker, M. Lipson, and S. Alterman. Organic Farmers Growing Practices. Santa Cruz, CA. California Certified Organic Farmers.)

Organic farming practices are not based only on lists of materials that acceptable or unacceptable in organic products.  Rather, organic farming strives to practice agriculture in a manner that achieves a balance similar to that found in natural systems.  This includes a commitment to building or maintaining soil health practices through practices such as green manures, crop rotations and compost application. (Source: Organic Materials Review Institute, “Use of Manure, Compost and Sewage Sludge in the USDA/NOP Proposed Rule,” April 1998) 

What are the benefits of using composted manure?
“Compost fosters the biological processes in the soil. Its use is a major tool in the creation and preservation of soil fertility.” (Source: Grace Gershuny & Joseph Smillie, “The Soul of Soil, A Guide to Ecological Soil Management,” AgAccess, Davis, Calif., 1995.)

“Nutrients that leave farm soils must be replaced if crop production is to remain abundant. (Nutrients assist photosynthesis—the plant's use of light energy to transform carbon dioxide and water into organic compounds that give the plant its energy.)  Organic wastes, many of which are rich in nutrients and organic matter, can be used to replenish soils.  But the common practice in conventional agriculture is to rely primarily on manufactured fertilizer. . . . The acceptance of the ancient appreciation of organic material will be an important step toward building sustainable cities and farms.” (Source:  Gary Gardner, "Recycling Organic Wastes," STATE OF THE WORLD, 1998, Worldwatch Institute, W.W. Norton & CO., NY) 

Is there a connection between E. coli and manure?
“While not all manures carry E. coli, manure is a documented source of E. coli contamination and should thus be handled cautiously in a fresh produce production system. Well-composted manures are recommended over the use of raw manures.”
(Source: Jasper Hempel, Food Safety Initiative Steering committee, California Certified Organic Farmers) 

What about E. coli and composted manure?
“E. coli, salmonella, and other pathogens found in manure can be reduced by proper composting. Compost should be maintained at temperatures of 55-60 degrees C (130 –149 degrees F) for a period of several days—if possible up to two weeks (Droffner, et al, 1995). Composting reduces pathogens in several different ways. One way is by generating temperatures unfavorable to the undesirable organisms. Temperature increases during composting are the result of microbial metabolism. The temperatures generated have the benefit of reducing populations of many pathogenic organisms.”
(Source: Organic Materials Review Institute Response to Docket Number: TMD-94-00-2, 1998)

“Properly composted manure can be an effective and safe fertilizer. Uncomposted or improperly composted manure used as a fertilizer or soil amendment, or manure that enters surface waters, may contain pathogens and subsequently contaminate produce. Operators should carefully develop and follow good manure handling practices as a key to reducing the potential for pathogenic contamination of produce.”
(Source:  “Industry-wide Guidance to Minimize Microbiological Food Safety Risks for Produce – United Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Association, 1997

--------------------
This old man really knows compost(shit).  The pile is so big there should be a poney under there somewhere.

Offlinelottashit
Master Composter
Male
Loc: Central Texas USA
Re: Mycosupply composted manure? [Re: lottashit]
    #8916341 - 09/12/08 01:34 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Mister Muscaria I hope that answerers your question - manure should be composted. drying is not the same.

--------------------
This old man really knows compost(shit).  The pile is so big there should be a poney under there somewhere.

InvisibleLana
Head Banana
Female

Loc: www.MycoSupply.com
Re: Mycosupply composted manure? [Re: lottashit]
    #8917218 - 09/12/08 08:27 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, the information above is common knowledge to manure harvesting.

It states "or is incorporated into the soil not less than 120 days prior to the harvest"

All of our manure is fresh, usually no more than a few days old.  This is how we're able to offer such a high quality product.  I'm glad this information was posted but for mushroom growers who will pasteurize or accidentally sterilize their manure, it is not needed.

Also, the US regulations are only based on "Certified Organic" items, not organic.  Amazingly, to be certified organic, you have to not only jump through more hoops, but also pay government certifications and audits.  Most farmers in agricultural state will not do it.  Only very large corporations become "Certified Organic"  because of their mass appeal. 

Good information all around!  I'm glad to see such good information floating around.

Lana

--------------------
Myco Supply - Distributors of Mycological Products
http://www.MycoSupply.com

The Premiere Source for Mushroom Growing Supplies.
Visit us online or call us toll free

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract