Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Forest fires in California = Morels?
    #8877383 - 09/04/08 02:27 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Alright, first off I have to admit I've never even seen a real morel in my life, but I've always wanted to find them, but I don't know where to start, hell I don't even know the season they grow in yet.  I just know they like disturbed areas especially near burnt oak.  I know california has had a lot of fires this season, and from my experience there are a lot of oak trees in California...

So I'm wondering, should I bother throwing southern and central california into my roadtrip and do some hiking around the forests in search of morels this october, or would that be more of a spring thing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Forest fires in California = Morels? [Re: Maverick]
    #8877447 - 09/04/08 02:40 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

The best source of morel fruiting info is the local mycology society, they always know all about them.

They come up in shasta in the spring however the first year after a fire I think it would be worthwhile to look at any burned areas after significant rains no matter what time of year it is.  Maybe give a week to mature after the rain so you can actually see them, or maybe they were already maturing and that isn't necessary. 

Morels can grow with a lot of different tree hosts.  The most common one in the shasta area is douglas fir.

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Re: Forest fires in California = Morels? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8877479 - 09/04/08 02:47 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Wonderful to know, I'll be passing through the Shasta area on my trip up to the Pacific Northwest this October.  I'm going to focus on wild mushroom photography and edible hunting this trip.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom