Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Potentially new active species. different spore colors solved 1/21/10
    #8869098 - 09/02/08 10:27 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I found this species over the weekend and it reminded me of avidpicker's discovery.  I threw some of the spores under the microscope and from what I could see this is NOT a Gymnopilus spp.  I first saw it about 7 am on an early morning foray but the light was so dim I waited until later to pick it so I could get some better photos.  In the early morning light it looked like Hypholoma fasciculare, the Sulfur Tuft.  However, when I went back that changed.  First, the smell was strongly anise-like.  That isn't Hypholoma fasciculare.  Second, the gills were the wrong color.  Third, when I tried to print it, it took forever.  Fourth, the print was the wrong color for Hypholoma fasciculare.  This print even though it was light was yellowish brown or light dirty-yellow.

I put tried to look at some spores but the print was so light I had to tease some of them away from the paper.  In the end I only saw a couple.  They were smooth as a baby's ass ruling out Gymnopilus.  Tomorrow if I get time I'll try to use a bit of the paper and get a spore solution to look at.  If that is successful I'll post some pictures.

This mushroom bruises blue!  Here are some pics.  Anyone is welcome to try and help me figure out what this is.

Notice the blue bruising on the edge of the cap below.  The pictures suck because my camera won't focus well in low light.  I was able to adjust the white balance to do a color correction though.  Yes, it is definitely blue.

This reticulation above the fibrillose zone was a bit unusual too, imo.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

*edit add photo

Notice something sporulating at the base of the mushrooms?  Those are carbon balls and their spores are black.  Compare Alan's spores to these:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_-kXvJeMNiqk/Ruo_NdJiZHI/AAAAAAAAOPQ/nVGOL4Zod5Q/Daldinia+concentrica+spores.JPG

Evidently the unthinkable happened.  The carbon ball spores blew up to the fibrillose zone and stuck there.

This mushroom might actually be a Gymnopilus, maybe.  The story continues.

Edited by Mr. Mushrooms (01/21/10 05:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8869123 - 09/02/08 10:32 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Oh and please do not post these pictures on Mushroom Observer.  If I want them there I will put them there myself.

Thanks.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8869245 - 09/02/08 11:00 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

It sure does look like a Gym too me, not that I'm suggesting it is considering what you have said. Very cool find at any rate. What type of wood was it growing from?

You should make a habit of printing on foil or smooth coloured plastic. It'll be much easier to get spores off to study that way.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: wisp]
    #8869267 - 09/02/08 11:05 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I'm fairly certain it was Maple, however, I found this at the end of a 3-day exhaustive foray so I didn't take a picture of the log.

I think I encountered 5 active species on this foray with a total of 669 photographs.  I am only beginning to recover from it now.

Oh and this weekend I switched to transparency film for prints.  I even used it with these but none looked like they took.  The only print that was half-way decent was the one I made in my mini-Sporulator Jr aka a lunch cooler.  That way if I have something special while on the hunt I can begin creating a spore print in conditions that parallel the actually fruiting environment.  Some day I'll bump my old thread and include it.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8869277 - 09/02/08 11:08 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds like a worthy foray. What were the other 4 active species?

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8869305 - 09/02/08 11:14 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:whistling:

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

#8869318 - 09/02/08 11:17 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:lol::dancingshroom:

InvisibleQuantumReality
Mycopath 🗡
 User Gallery

Loc: BoobyTraps
    #8869355 - 09/02/08 11:24 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

"potential new active species" or "potentially a new active"
:andyistic:
i am the grammar nazi!!
:rofl2:
very nice find, cant wait to see what this is :super:

InvisibleQuantumReality
Mycopath 🗡
 User Gallery

Loc: BoobyTraps
    #8869359 - 09/02/08 11:25 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Senor_Hongos said:
Oh and please do not post these pictures on Mushroom Observer.  If I want them there I will put them there myself.

Thanks.

you tell em :yesnod: doesnt that just piss you off Lol

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: QuantumReality]
    #8869435 - 09/02/08 11:40 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Hey, thanks for the correction.  I wasn't sure how to say it.  :thumbup:

Normally I don't mind if certain people post some of my pics and those that do have prior permission or a tacit understanding.  However, in the case of a new active species I would rather keep it "in house."  I'm kinda quirky about the Shroomery.  It's my home and I feel a sense of loyalty to it.

--------------------

Invisiblewisp

Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: QuantumReality]
    #8869446 - 09/02/08 11:44 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Dizzwizzle said:

I'm not sure if that's right actually. The second one is fine, but the first is incorrect. "Potentially new active species" is correct in my opinion.;)

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8869478 - 09/02/08 11:51 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Is it possible that you missed the ornamentation on the spores?

I have looked at Gymnopilus spores that appeared kind of smooth under 1000x but are actually ornamented

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Gymnopilus_luteofolius_spores.jpg

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #8869525 - 09/03/08 12:05 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Is it possible that the spores are very minutely roughened? Did you stain them and use an oil immersion objective? You might be able to get a reasonable number of mature spores from the ring zone or rough area above the ring.

Those certainly look like Gymnopilus at first glance.

Also, love the possible Daldinias and Scutellinias growing on the log with them.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineHazeyRoms
The Pro Sonn
Male

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #8869562 - 09/03/08 12:15 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

-I didn't see ANY blue bruising at all. Only one way to find out eat it in front of a hospital, that way if it's bad then you can still have a chance to live. Hahaha

:mushroomgrow:

--------------------
-Sonn, Hazey here. And I'm bacc. Anyone in Wisconsin, PM me. Unity my nillas/niggas.

-"5 Nike duffle bags??? How much does all that weigh?? - Just 30 pounds Bruhh, relax my nilla, it don't stink like weed so we're all good."-(Penis Envy Moments)-

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #8869571 - 09/03/08 12:20 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I've been looking at spores, particularly Gym spores, for about 14 years.  I have Hesler's monograph and did extensive work with GGreatOne234 on about 12 different Gym species he found in Florida.  What I saw was as smooth as a baby's ass, like cubensis spores or panaeolus spores are smooth.

I used oil immersion at 1000x and looked all over three different slides I prepared just to be sure.

I have considered scraping the stipe for spores (an old mycologist trick [just kidding]), but these really didn't sporulate with a damn.  That in itself is odd in my experience.  Gyms, for me at least, are like Agaricus--they aren't happy unless they have released a billion spores.  Usually I find caps covered with them.

I have pieces and parts I am willing to send to someone if they want to help out.  Many hands make light work.

They sure do scream Gymnopilus, don't they?

I really think these are the same species as avidpicker's or something very similar.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.  :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: HazeyRoms]
    #8869584 - 09/03/08 12:23 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

HazeyRoms said:
-I didn't see ANY blue bruising at all. Only one way to find out eat it in front of a hospital, that way if it's bad then you can still have a chance to live. Hahaha

:mushroomgrow:

Well, they're not cubes.  The blue on the cap edge is pretty apparent on the screen if you don't blow it up.  I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow in better lighting.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #8869597 - 09/03/08 12:31 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Is it possible that you missed the ornamentation on the spores?

I have looked at Gymnopilus spores that appeared kind of smooth under 1000x but are actually ornamented

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Gymnopilus_luteofolius_spores.jpg

Oh, and that's a great comparison photograph for those that don't know what slightly roughened spore ornamentation looks like.  The spores of G. liquiritiae and G. subtropicalis have even smaller ornamentations.

--------------------

Offlineimplee
Cyber Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Houston, Texas. Flag
    #8869868 - 09/03/08 02:31 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Nice finds good luck with an ID :laugh:

InvisibleOgre812
Padawan Learner
Male

#8869922 - 09/03/08 03:06 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tripsis said:
Quote:

Dizzwizzle said:

I'm not sure if that's right actually. The second one is fine, but the first is incorrect. "Potentially new active species" is correct in my opinion.;)

How about "A new potentially active species."?

Geez,I wish I had something productive to say.

--------------------
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither, and will lose both.      ~ Benjamin Franklin ~

"Let me tell you about a Porcupine's balls.  They're small, and they don't give a SHIT!"  ~Danny~

Invisiblewisp

Re: Potentially new active species. [Re: Ogre812]
    #8869938 - 09/03/08 03:17 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Sure, but you need a comma in there: "A new, potentially active species".

Dizz, "potential new active species" would only be correct if you were using "species" in its plural form. I think a comma between "new" and "active" wouldn't go astray either.

The Shroomery could do with a grammar and spelling forum.:yesnod:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder