Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Results of pasteurizing temperature being too high?
    #8860444 - 09/01/08 01:05 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I have been using a wagner steamer for a few months to pasteurize. So far i have had decent results. I used to pasteurize with hot water, and had fine results there too its just a lot of work.

I have been running my pasteurizer on the whole cycle not worrying about temps, figuring steam in a large drum would get it to the perfect temp.

Allot of my bulk subs lately have been giving me retarded flushes of stunted out tiny shrooms. I'm talking little bitty, miniaturized bastards. Some of them don't ever even give a good flush, just colonize and then peter out with maybe a few embarrassing stragglers. Even the ones that do turn out good lately aren't turning out nearly as nice as they used too.

Could this be an effect of too hot pasteurization? Are there known consequences of over heating during pasteurizing? I guess I could look into one of those cool Ranco controllers.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
Re: Results of pasteurizing temperature being too high? [Re: sandman420]
    #8860603 - 09/01/08 01:31 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Pasteurizing at too hot a temperature causes sterilization. The difference is: with pasteurization, you are killing off unwanted fungi, molds, etc. and allowing to live various beneficial bacterium, whereas with sterilization, you are killing off all microbial life, leaving "pure", (as it were), substrate material.

I have recently learned of some growers that do not bother to pasteurize at all, preferring to go the easier route of sterilization, reportedly with no ill effects. This, of course, will have to be a personal call. :goodluck:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Offlineskaterickets
Musician
Male User Gallery

Re: Results of pasteurizing temperature being too high? [Re: sandman420]
    #8860625 - 09/01/08 01:36 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Pasteurizing/Sterilizing should have no effects on the spawn/substrate other than the contaminations that occur on them. The better you sterilize them, the less likely the product will get contaminated.

That being said, I think that your small mushrooms are probably a cause of little humidity and/or hydration. Firstly, if you don't dunk your cakes/casings I would definitely recommend that to give them a nice amount of water. You should also get your casings(if using casings) to field capacity. Finally you should make sure you're giving them proper humidity. If you don't have one, hygrometers go for as cheap as $15. A sign of improper humidity is if there aren't small water drops built up from moisture evaporation.

Hope this helps, good luck!

--------------------

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
Re: Results of pasteurizing temperature being too high? [Re: skaterickets]
    #8860687 - 09/01/08 01:47 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

skaterickets said:
Pasteurizing/Sterilizing should have no effects on the spawn/substrate other than the contaminations that occur on them. The better you sterilize them, the less likely the product will get contaminated.

I'm not trying to start a post war, but I believe that the beneficial bacterium that remains after pasteurization helps to ward OFF contaminates. This is information that I have "heard" from the more experienced growers on this site. I have been wrong before, but I'm pretty sure someone will point it out if I'm wrong on this.

While it's been said before, that some growers do sterilize without ill effect, (successful growers I might add), the beneficial bacterium do not harm the mycelial growth, but inhibit other contaminates from gaining a foothold in the substrate until the mycelium can do so. :shrug:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Results of pasteurizing temperature being too high? [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8860784 - 09/01/08 02:07 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

are you G2Ging the same jars over again? If you do G2G too much genetic degradation can happen and you'll need to start from a fresh genetic sample or so I've heard.

I doubt your problem is related to the substrate.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Results of pasteurizing temperature being too high? [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8860811 - 09/01/08 02:12 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I dont think it is the humidity or moisture content. I do a sort of play on monotubs, a tek of mine called the sandbag. Its basically a big ass gusseted bag that sits in a cat litter tray (tray being for rigidity and also light blocking for side pins). Then there are several poly stuffed holes like in a monotub. They are definitely heavy and the sides of the bag are full of condensation. FAE is helped with a oscilating fan in the room.

I have done this tek or a similar version of it for literally years. This problem has pretty much been only since switching to steam pasteurizing.

Im using shredded horsepoo and verm about 60/40~70/30ish lately . I used to use horsepoo/straw/verm/coir. I dont think that it's the sub though, horse poo should support at least a few good flushes.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract