Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesketz
apothecary

First set up(the preliminary)
    #8852718 - 08/30/08 03:12 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Okay, so, first post, so i think i will try to knock out any kinks with my first set up.

i have most of the materials and pretty much just have to set it all up

anyway

list of materials:
Fruiting chamber-a small aquarium, about 4/5 gallon tank
window screen
masonry jars
BR substrate
and perlite
aquarium lights

my plan:
start with the cake method, seems to be the easiest and less chance of contamination. i dont have a pressure cooker so, i will be boiling everything. i will also be boiling a sheet of screen for the aquarium. it will be used to be placed ontop of the vermaculite and perlite, i.e. a bed of it, so i can water it and set my cakes comfortably on top ^ ^

i dont have any masonry jars ATM or perlite, and if perlite isnt what im thinking of(the stuff that absorbs water and humidifies the chamber) than i am sorry, i havent read my tek in a while, i have just now assimated my materials ^ ^

so, some qs i have....

1. how much would perlite and say 6 masonry jars cost? and where could i get them?

2. what should i be looking for dangerwise to my flush?

3. how do i "dunk" the cakes? i never understood that.

4. should i cover the tank to keep unwanted light out, or does it matter? and if so, should the light be alternated on and off at any specific times?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineChrissi
Stranger

Re: First set up(the preliminary) [Re: sketz]
    #8852756 - 08/30/08 03:21 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I think you mean mason jars, not masonry jars.  I got mine at Canadian Tire but if you're in the USA might be different, try wal-mart or something?

Perlite can be found in stores with gardening supply.  Like, uh... wal-mart. Or whatever.  Again, I used Canadian Tire.

Mason jars usually come in flats of 12 so you might have to buy 12.  I think I paid 15 dollars per flat.  Maybe 10 or 20, can't remember.

The most common danger, I've heard of, is getting a bit of the green mold... to check if it's green mold or bruising just rub a cotton swab lightly against it, if it comes off it's mold.  If it doesn't come off it's bruising.

Dunking is submersing cakes in water (usually in the refrigerator) to boost their water content before a flush.  Supposedly it helps promote good growth during the flush.  People reccomend things like putting them in a pot with a plate on top to hold them down (but not squish them), or put them in their own container filled with water, or put them in plastic baggies.  I am thinking of the baggy or original jar.  Oh yeah and you do that between 10 and 30 hours (different numbers I've heard).  Best number seems to be about 20 hours and no more than 24.

Light should come from the top and not the sides in order to trigger growth direction toward the top.

Edited by Chrissi (08/30/08 03:23 PM)

Offlinesketz
apothecary

Re: First set up(the preliminary) [Re: Chrissi]
    #8852853 - 08/30/08 03:42 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

thanks, and should i even worry about humidifying it? or will the perlite do it fine?

and would it be at all possible to add nutrients to help boost growth? ive noticed nutrients will help with growing plants, what about shrooms?

Offlinemisos
A wandering soul
 User Gallery

Loc: Elsewhere.
Re: First set up(the preliminary) [Re: sketz]
    #8853014 - 08/30/08 04:23 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

If you can find packs of six, I haven't, then it would be around $7.  A big bag of perlite would be around 5 or 6. As for dangers.. Contams. I guess just be super clean until you feel comfortable with what you're doing. I used to use Lysol and hand sanitizer religiously. I don't anymore. I don't feel it is necessary. I guess people would consider me to be unclean. I'm relatively clean when inoculating the jars, but after that, once the jars are colonized, I'm really not. Once they are colonized, it's kinda difficult for other molds to take hold. I use the oven tek and swear by it. I tried doing a cake once and failed. So, before, and after, I have done casings. Cakes are usually a good place to start though. Good luck bud, and feel free to post pics of your progress. Oh, and as for humidity, just put about 3-4 inches of DAMP, not wet, perlite in the bottom of your FC. FAE 3-4 times a day and mist after fanning. I have 4 inches of perlite, holes for FAE, and I still fan and mist 2-3 times a day. FAE is always good. My humidity is between 92-93%. not bad. It's pretty maintenance free.

--------------------
"If I had a single wish, I would have every single human on this planet see this natural world the way I see it; the beauty in such simple things such as a fallen tree that is covered in moss and that has new trees growing from it. To some, fallen trees are ugly. But in reality, it is the circle of life at its finest. This is a beautiful world, its time that we recognize that before its all gone."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order