Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
Know When to SHUT UP!!
    #885220 - 09/16/02 07:21 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I think this is cultivation related, as all cultivators must acquire supplies. While I do order some goodies online, I purchase most items at retail stores in my area. I live in a big city, and I'm certainly not the only one here with this hobby. Several times I've been asked things like:
"Why do you need so much rye?"
(Answer: Just got a new breadmaker - trying out some recipes.)
"What are you gonna do with all that straw?"
(Answer: Hell if I know. Some kind of school experiment my daughter's working on.)
"We have a better deal on the compost out front - did you see?"
(Answer: Yeah, but my husband bitches if I buy something cheap. He likes this Scott's stuff.)
Some idiot in my town has been answering this kind of question truthfully. Not only that, he's OFFERING information, when noone even asks!
How do I know? Because TWO cashiers in my area have questioned my purchases in less than two weeks, and each of them questioned me because some bonehead announced that they were using straw (from a craft store) and rye (from a health store in the mall) to grow magic mushrooms. Once you tell a cashier you're using rye to grow mushrooms, he/she asks every single person who buys rye (especially all by itself) what they're doing with it, and then he/she repeats the little "mushroom story" to all those purchasers.
You might find it cute or amusing, but you're dead wrong. It only brings negative attention to anyone purchasing those products. I don't want to keep track of which cashier sold me straw last week, and which health food store I last bought rye at. I now feel I have to use cash for EVERY mycology related purchase, because some idiot won't shut up.
I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I guess I had to get it off my chest. I just sat in traffic for over an hour so I could go to a health food store out of the way - hoping this idiot can't find his way across town!!!
Please keep your mouth shut (you know who you are!), as you are hurting others. It's very easy to say "I don't know. I'm just picking it up for a friend."
Thank you.

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

Loc: ..long road ahead..
Re: Know When to SHUT UP!! [Re: babyshroom]
    #885248 - 09/16/02 07:35 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Whoever is doing that is a fuckin idiot! I've heard of people being questioned because of cops making businesses aware, but that is just outrageous!! I hope I don't get someone like that around here, I get really nervous buying vermiculite and perlite when it's off season, especially because I'm younger and everything.

Peace!

--------------------
Daisy Wedding Favors

Offlinemixpix
C'est dommage!
Female

Re: Know When to SHUT UP!! [Re: iloveraving]
    #885271 - 09/16/02 07:47 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

That is stupidity knowing no bounds
My bet is that they just got into it and feel cool about it.
I hope to hell nobody that dumb finds there way here......

--------------------
and when you try to toy with nature
youll be falling with the leaves

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #885276 - 09/16/02 07:49 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

LOL,

I have to agree. Some peaple just like to jabber flap their lips - about what  they are up to.

Which can cause other peaple -- consternation.

Same thing goes for peaple who in person -- casualy:

1. Brag -- they can grow - to peaple they don't really know.

2. Show off -- in person -- what they grew, to peaple they don't really know.

3. Show off  -- in person -- their grow set/up, to peaple they don't really know.

4. Turn on groups of relative strangers -- at parties -- or whatever.

That combo is a quick -- easy -- GYAB  TEK (get your ass busted - tek).

Plain & Simple: If anyone KNOWS -- besides you. It is not a secret  :smirk:.

6T  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineShroomBoarder
screechingweasel fan

#885309 - 09/16/02 08:04 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

that is the stupidest thing anybody can do, i hope nobody around me is that stupid.

--------------------

"Twizzlers, in the chinesed state...."

Offlinemixpix
C'est dommage!
Female

Re: Know When to SHUT UP!! [Re: ShroomBoarder]
    #885344 - 09/16/02 08:14 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

dont hold your breath
maybe its just me, but people are just getting dumber and dumber
and the ego games that go with it....
*edit* maybe i am alone in this tinking, not maybe its just me

--------------------
and when you try to toy with nature
youll be falling with the leaves

Edited by generic (09/16/02 08:15 AM)

Invisibleoverclock
beekeeper
Re: Know When to SHUT UP!! [Re: mixpix]
    #885364 - 09/16/02 08:20 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Sadly, your right on point. Why do your think our prisons are so full?

Peace.
-OC

--------------------
If you grow them, they will come.

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Re: Know When to SHUT UP!! [Re: mixpix]
    #885378 - 09/16/02 08:26 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Yes - stupidity at it's finest. I've been to 3 Walmarts in my area, and all the Jiffy Mix has been replaced with Christmas crap. I can't bring myself to ask if they have it in the back, because I don't know if the jerk has paraded through Walmart with a buggy full of Jiffy Mix and a shirt that says "I grow illegal mushrooms".
I would have thought it was a kid too, but the cashier at Gardenridge described the culprit as "an old hippie looking guy".

--------------------

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Know When to SHUT UP!! [Re: overclock]
    #885381 - 09/16/02 08:28 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Man some people are so dumb they are actually proud of themself's and want to tell everyone what they are doing!

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Offlinezazz
mini F+

Re: Know When to SHUT UP!! [Re: iloveraving]
    #885447 - 09/16/02 08:52 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

I get really nervous buying vermiculite and perlite when it's off season, especially because I'm younger and everything.

just say you are picking it up for your parents. i used to think it was weird buying verm and thats it, because i dont even know what its really used with. so if someone asks i dont know a valid answer, so just say your parents told you to pick up gardening stuff.

Offlinesomacraft
amateur
    #885469 - 09/16/02 09:05 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I buy copious quantities of perlite, vermiculite, and peat moss for my cactus.  One part of each makes the best cactus soil.  I don't like those commercial cactus soil blends... they never drain right. 

Only premium compost will do for my prize-winning roses.  (I am working on a new variety, you see, and I can hardly afford to jeopardize the health of my stock with brands that I don't trust.)

My little daughter brought home a rabbit from school... the straw makes such a nice bedding for it, and it is cheap enough to change it every day.  We have to keep the little monster indoors, you see.  And cedar chips start to get a little pricey when you have to buy them every week. 

I have a dreadful allergy to wheat.  Ever since I was a child.  I don't use very much grain, but when I do, I prefer organic brown rice and rye.  Whole grain is so much better for you, anyhow.  When I need fresh flour for baking, I can just grind it myself. And my daughter has discovered that the rabbit likes it too, so we supplement her pellet food and chopped veggies with some rye.  You should see how fast she can go through it.  I hope she isn't pregnant.    :shocked:

Of course I buy 2 or 3 quarts of hydrogen peroxide at a time.  It is the strongest chemical I am willing to use for household cleaning.  It breaks down completely into water and oxygen.  I am very concerned about damage to the environment from dangerous chemicals.  So I use h2o2 as an alternative to both bleach and ammonia.  Those little bubbles really power dirt off a stove top.

Now, if I were questioned about any of my purchases, I can answer with a pure heart.  Imagine, nefarious doers of evil who would make DRUGS out of these innocent household items.  Can you even believe what this world is coming to?

Of course, I pay for all of my purchases with cash, even when I buy my weekly groceries or a little something for a snack after work.  It is easier to stay within a budget with cash.

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #885482 - 09/16/02 09:09 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I agree some people are stupid about giving info they should not . But do not be so paranoid , "ALOT" of mushrooms are grown that are not illegal .
So at the same time there is no reason to be so elusive when asked what is this for .
I was concerned about it at first , until I was not affraid to admit I like to grow "mushrooms" , to a sales man , he in turn replied so did he and was even very informative to my needs , he even gave me a contact to sell mushrooms to a local restaurant who is always looking for good edible mushrooms . I am now considering starting a small business for just hearing the demand of some species in my area .
So do not be overly concerned when asked such questions , in fact spread the word that mushroom growing does not mean illegal substances are being grown , but at same time know what species are similar to your favorite so you can fell confident when asking such nosy questions as why do you need this ?
My favorite is "Are you hear to sell me a product or promoting communism " ?
Good luck to all
May the mushroom godess bless all your endeavors .

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: Know When to SHUT UP!! [Re: zazz]
    #885487 - 09/16/02 09:13 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Is there an age limit for people who like to garden , these are products commonly used in gardening . I know I have a massive garden in my back yard and I used these products long before I knew they wer used in mushroom "gardens" .  :cool: 

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Re: Know When to SHUT UP!! [Re: tripndicular]
    #887150 - 09/17/02 01:53 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

trip - you are quite right. Matter of fact, I've put off my voyage into "legals" for too long, I suppose. I wish I had more time for my shroomy friends, so I could grow more varieties. Is there much of a learning curve from the pcubs to other varieties? What would be the easiest edible or medicinal to tackle, with only pcubs under my belt? I'm fairly well versed with grains and bulk substrates, just beginning to play with agar, and use manual air exchange. I think my methods are sound, with exception of automated air exchange. My fannings range from 2 (intense) fannings per day (on a busy day) to 5 fannings on weekends and days off work. I would need to work with a shroom which could endure the low rate of air exchange, as pcubs have so far.
I'm also starting to play with outdoor growing. Not much success yet, although I did snag a handful last night. Maybe I can find some legals that like my back yard. Any suggestions?

--------------------

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: babyshroom]
    #887206 - 09/17/02 02:25 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Offlineshroomsformike
Explorer forHuman Life
Loc: somewhere
    #887250 - 09/17/02 03:09 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

The white man can be so stupid sometimes, red man write informaton on rocks for people to understand. I too heard of this person calling it the good suff or magic mushrooms, even if you are a red man they are still illegal, waht a real jackass . I'm sorry for your luck man, move to Az where the land is pure and people that talk like that get an arrow trough their heart.

Chief Mojo Rising

--------------------
Chief Mojo Rising
,,,where will you be when marshall law is put into effect,,,

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
    #887292 - 09/17/02 03:46 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i know exactly how u feel, babyshroom

its what i am always saying, that we have to live two lives, like we are fuckin' criminals... unfortunately, we are oppressed by the system soooooo hard

Kykeon
athens, greece

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
    #887453 - 09/17/02 05:43 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

when asked why i am buying four quarts of hydrogen peroxide at a time, i have replied, "Iduno. . . .I geuss it's just part of the female conspiracy. i don't ask, and she don't tell"

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: tchyted]
    #887461 - 09/17/02 05:47 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #887474 - 09/17/02 05:53 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Theyre just cashiers... Most likely I would think that they got the information through friends or even through curriosity.

Remember... This is the 928,924th visit the Shroomery has received since February 06th, 2002. So dont think that your the only chump in your area who knows whats going on...

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order