Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedjflipnautikz
Stranger

is too wet? should i start over? RYE GRAIN
    #8840661 - 08/28/08 09:25 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Does this look rite? i dont think so....there is water still sloshing around inside.

i just pulled this jar out of the PC and it looks REALLY wet and CLUMPY> i am shaking it hot so they are distributed more evenly but it stays all clump together. i think i didnt wait long enuff to let them drain i am not sure any help will be greatly appreciated thanks.

i dont want to waste any spores.

i am already putting more rye to soak cuz i have a feeling i will be doing this again to get it right. i have a second one that i will be pcing tomorrow which is this one:

i think i did that one wrong too. i dont want to mess up the rye because i want to use one jar to start up 10 more so help please.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: is too wet? should i start over? RYE GRAIN [Re: djflipnautikz]
    #8840715 - 08/28/08 09:37 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

That's too much water by far.  In addition, mixing water and rye in a jar and PCing is the worst possible way to produce grain spawn.  It's how we did it 50 years ago before growers developed much better methods of getting the moisture content exactly right.

You also don't want any jar more than 2/3 to at MOST 3/4 full after sterilization.  Here's my rye grain tek.  I've also posted my tek here in text form, so search posts using my name and rye grain preparation.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineTheFish
Shakedown Street
Male User Gallery

#8840725 - 08/28/08 09:40 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Visible water and sticking grains? I wouldn't bet your spores are going to enjoy that environment.

Soak your grain in a large pot or bowl for 24 hours. Drain, and rinse lightly, then return to a pot and simmer for 45 minutes or until the first grains start to burst. I can see from your picture that many of your grains have burst.

After simmering, strain the grain into a colander, and rinse extremely well. I like to fill the sink with water, and very carefully sink the colander into the water and lift to drain. Repeat this process a few times, and allow the grains to drain for 15 minutes, giving them a good shake before loading into the jars.

PC at 15psi for 90 minutes with the appropriate filters and foil, and be careful not to shake them too hard after this process, as it could also burst many of the grains.

Good luck. :thumbup:

--------------------
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand,
Says, 'Don't you see?'
Gotta make it somehow on the dreams you still believe.
Don't give it up.
You got an empty cup only love can fill."

Jerry Garcia

OfflineAsmarian
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mid West
Re: is too wet? should i start over? RYE GRAIN [Re: TheFish]
    #8841222 - 08/28/08 11:32 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Listen to RR - I have used his rye grain tek and had nothing but good luck as far as moisture content is concerned...it gets it perfect every time!

Offlinedjflipnautikz
Stranger

Re: is too wet? should i start over? RYE GRAIN [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #8841737 - 08/28/08 01:28 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
That's too much water by far.  In addition, mixing water and rye in a jar and PCing is the worst possible way to produce grain spawn.  It's how we did it 50 years ago before growers developed much better methods of getting the moisture content exactly right.

You also don't want any jar more than 2/3 to at MOST 3/4 full after sterilization.  Here's my rye grain tek.  I've also posted my tek here in text form, so search posts using my name and rye grain preparation.
RR

thanks for the help. i tried looking for the post here but coudln't find it, but based on what i read on your site i will go by that. One thing i didnt put was gypsum or lime, so i am going to go get that before i jar up the rest.

also you say to BOIL for 10 minutes vs SIMMER for 45, so i will change that as well. hopefully i can get it right this time.

and should i wait the whole 24 hours, or can i start maybe 16 - 18 hrs after soaking? thanks for the help guys

--------------------

Offlinedjflipnautikz
Stranger

#8842462 - 08/28/08 03:32 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

and i am trying to find atleast some gypsum but i cant find it locally NO WHERE, everybody is like HUH?

--------------------

Offlinepontus
traveler
 User Gallery

#8845724 - 08/29/08 01:37 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Try to use the search function with the magnifying glass next to it (look at the top of your screen). This function is vital for you to access information.

--------------------
"People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan

Offlinedjflipnautikz
Stranger

Re: is too wet? should i start over? RYE GRAIN [Re: pontus]
    #8846248 - 08/29/08 08:24 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

pontus said:
Try to use the search function with the magnifying glass next to it (look at the top of your screen). This function is vital for you to access information.

oh is that what that is? gee wiz thanks for the help...

--------------------

Offlinedjflipnautikz
Stranger

#8847653 - 08/29/08 02:00 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

ok guys i just took out of the PC my second jar, the first was a WET MESS as title says and this one i think i finally did right check it out:

they rye looks a little grayish kinda, and when i flipped it over all the rye was not stuck together.

i just have a quick question, when i removed the foil the tyvek on top was a little wet, is that ok from the steam?

RR says that if the tyvek gets wet the jar is a goner for sure so i dont want to waste any spore. thanks again for the help.

--------------------

Offlinewtfcrazymofo
foil hater
Other

Loc: Colonial alley
    #22669262 - 12/17/15 07:40 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

It is soaked and sopping.  Looks over cooked especially after Pressure Cooking.  I guess there is a good bit of nutrients left maybe.  Who cares at this point for this post anyway? huh

--------------------
If you want to eat->https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8553541

Bag sealers are to bulky (my hood isn't that big)
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/28622922

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag