Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineeseare
i11 beatz
Male

Loc: bass station 1
Regret the verm casing! Would like questions answered now that the trays are in the FC
    #8839000 - 08/27/08 09:55 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I know there is much controversy over the decision whether or not to add bottom layers. I have read many many many posts about how in some eyes this is beneficial to provide an extra source of moisture and many saying that it doesn't give enough beneficial effect to over weigh the possibility of contams. The threads Ive read all have to do with verm though. My question is what is the best way to layer with coir. Oatmans tek says to mix the first layer of substrate and coir together than evenly spread the top with a layer of substrate as a fast way of top colonization giving more of a contam barrier.

Anyone have any innovative ways to use coir and WBS? This is my first attempt at using coir and WBS so I want to get the best results possible.

Edited by eseare (09/09/08 10:58 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
Re: Casing with coir. To add bottom layer or not? tis the question [Re: eseare]
    #8839012 - 08/27/08 09:58 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

:2cents:  Not needed. More work, more risk, negligible benefits.

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Offlinedjblackout
supreme scratch masta

#8839013 - 08/27/08 09:58 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

you dont case to coir, you spawn your WBS to coir,  let the mycelium colonize it 100% and then cover that "CAKE" in moist verm and youre good to go.,

--------------------
I am the fakest person on this site. I only pretend to grow and consume illegal mushrooms. I have no knowledge what so ever on any scheduled substance because I know and respect the governing law in the United States of America. All pictures and dialogue posted by me is entirley copyrighted from those who wish to knowingly ignore the laws. I only post these messages as a mere propaganda technique used to gain attention and admiration from others. Thank You

Offlineeseare
i11 beatz
Male

Re: Casing with coir. To add bottom layer or not? tis the question [Re: djblackout]
    #8839033 - 08/27/08 10:01 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Good ish... So is it better to have the bottom layer WBS and cover with coir or should I mix the 2 together?

Offlinemozartvicious
Perma Trails
Male

Loc: Dead luck hubris
Re: Casing with coir. To add bottom layer or not? tis the question [Re: djblackout]
    #8839048 - 08/27/08 10:04 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

djblackout said:
you dont case to coir, you spawn your WBS to coir,  let the mycelium colonize it 100% and then cover that "CAKE" in moist verm and youre good to go.,

Yep.. I use Peat/verm 50/50 mix to case tho

Bottom layer, what I do in my trays is layer the bottom with a THIN layer of plain moist Verm and put that in the oven when I pasteurize my bulk substrate. (just to kill any mold spores that may have landed on it)

I did find in my personal use with no layer on the bottom
the shrooms were smaller when they grew... but that's not to say it will happen to yours or anyone elses.

--------------------

Friend- "Dude, A lot of people thought you were a snob in High School"

ME- "What? I didn't even talk to those people"

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

#8839101 - 08/27/08 10:13 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

eseare said:
Good ish... So is it better to have the bottom layer WBS and cover with coir or should I mix the 2 together?

It'll colonize faster if you mix them. :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlineeseare
i11 beatz
Male

Re: Casing with coir. To add bottom layer or not? tis the question [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8839197 - 08/27/08 10:25 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Makes sense. I was thinking the same thaning. Didnt wanna make a boner move though and get stuck in a hard place. Thanks for the input.

Do these jars appear colonized enough to move forward?
Before you ask the 1/2 pints are due to the fact that my large PC sharted all over me so Im stuck with using a 6qt for the time being.

Offlinegluvbox
mycophagist
 User Gallery

Re: Casing with coir. To add bottom layer or not? tis the question [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8839201 - 08/27/08 10:26 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

If you lay down a layer of coir, then the WBS on top, you can mix them with light shake of the pan/tub.  That way you don't have to stick any foreign objects in there.

--------------------
-------------------------------------
Please contribute to the mycology wiki:
mycology.wikia.com

Offlineeseare
i11 beatz
Male

Re: Casing with coir. To add bottom layer or not? tis the question [Re: gluvbox]
    #8839213 - 08/27/08 10:29 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Damn. Why do all the simple ideas that make sense not come to mind. Thanks to all of you for the quick replys. Im trying to get this done soon and it WILL be because of ya'll

Offlinegethyn
MR.STINK FINGER
Male User Gallery

Loc: first row at church
    #8839244 - 08/27/08 10:37 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Not true i have used the bottom layer always. and havent had a single contam on my trays. I use Coir verm and hydrated lime on the bottom and top GOOD results.;)

--------------------
I RESEMBLE THE REST

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
Re: Casing with coir. To add bottom layer or not? tis the question [Re: gethyn]
    #8839580 - 08/27/08 11:59 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I just mix everything up with my bare hands. It hasn't been a problem thus far, don't see why it would. When it all turns white go ahead and case it.

--------------------

Offlineeseare
i11 beatz
Male

Re: Casing with coir. To add bottom layer or not? tis the question [Re: ray40cal]
    #8843190 - 08/28/08 06:00 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

So last night I spawned my WBS to 2 circular 4 pint rubbermaids(pics will be posted later). Anyway, I used half of my quart jar of WBS with 1 quart of coir. I mixed these together and topped with 1 1/2 pint of WBS for quick top colonization to act as a contaminate barrier. This procedure was done for both containers. The final depth is roughly 3.5 inches. Any comments, suggestions, concerns, feedback etc....?

Offlineeseare
i11 beatz
Male

#8843778 - 08/28/08 07:59 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

aybody have a better wbs to coir ratio for this smaller size container (4 pint round rubbermaid that is about 4.5 inches deep)? And since this is smaller, does anyone recommend a larger casing layer?

OfflineDamion5050
Mush Doctor
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Translation ! Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #8843853 - 08/28/08 08:08 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

what is the dimensions of your container that u are using

Offlineeseare
i11 beatz
Male

Re: Casing with coir. To add bottom layer or not? tis the question [Re: Damion5050]
    #8843962 - 08/28/08 08:25 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

they are 4 pint total capacity.... roughly 7.5 inches diameter by 4.5 deep

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

#8844003 - 08/28/08 08:32 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

The casing layer should be about 1" deep, regardless of surface area. Higher spawn to bulk ratio = faster 100% colonization. :rockon:

It has been recommended to me, to keep my substrate around three or four inches thick, (I just take my penis and multiply by two to find the proper depth).

--------------------

Edited by BrandNewbie (08/28/08 08:34 PM)

Offlineeseare
i11 beatz
Male

#8844038 - 08/28/08 08:39 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

fuck i gotta multiply by 4 and i cant even add right!!!

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#8844095 - 08/28/08 08:51 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Bottom layers might not cause problems, but they're useless. If it's water that's sought, consider that you would have about the same amount of water in an extra inch of spawned substrate on the bottom. All that's happening is that the mycelium now has to put additional effort into getting that water, and if the layer has no nutes, that's effort the mycelium could have used to make more shrooms.

I would guess that between a 3" casing, and a 3" casing with an inch of field capacity verm at the bottom, the plain casing would produce a better yield. I'm not 100% sure, but it would make an interesting experiment. I feel confident though, that a 4" casing would beat out a 3" casing with a 1" layer at the bottom.:shrug:

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

OfflineRemainRandom50
Do You Need ToKnow Me?
Re: Casing with coir. To add bottom layer or not? tis the question [Re: Rahz] * 1
    #8844271 - 08/28/08 09:15 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

interesting read...i will have to keep these notes in mind.

--------------------
At times I get consumed by my everyday life and will leave the Shroomery. Yet, every time drugs come falling into my life for fun.....I always think about the Shroomery and then I'm back!

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

#8844351 - 08/28/08 09:24 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

If you are using pint jars, take a clean jar and fill it with vermiculite. Then dump the vermiculite into your tray. Keep doing this until the vermiculite is four inches deep. Now, how many jars did you empty into your tray? Lets say you emptied six jars of verm into the tray in order to reach the four inch mark. This being the case, if you then mix four jars of substrate with two jars of spawn, you will have enough to fill your tray with a 2:4 ratio.

There! You just figured it out without doing, (hardly), any math. :goodluck:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale