Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineanevsky
Dilettante
 User Gallery

RTV and bulk bags with filters.... ERRRR
    #8837253 - 08/27/08 05:37 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Just generating some WBS substrate.  I made three big bags from a 10 pound bag of organic bird seed - followed the tek more or less, pcd for  2 hours, etc... I noticed that bags fresh out of the PC simply dont respond the same way to an impulse sealer, errr #1.  On the first bag the ideal setting for a dry bag was #3 on the dial, but with the more wet bag straight out of the PC, it literally sizzled a strip right off the edge.  Nonetheless, tried my damndest to keep the wbs sterile.  It did absorb a lot of moisture, I suppose that isnt surprising?

Next, and biggest ERRR, was the Red RTV sealant that I put on the bags for a self-healing injection shot literally FELL off once the bags had been well cleaned with alcohol.  Maybe that isnt surprising but really they just slid right off when I touched them to do a final once-over with alcohol.  Errr.  So, on two of the bags I simply hit below the filter and on one I managed to get the RTV back in place and held it there while I hit it.  Long story short, I had to open up the box to put packaging tape over the holes. First layer was packaging tape folded over and cleaned with alchohol - but I can only guess if that piece filled the whole or some gluey tape did.

Another BIG chance for contams.  What are my odds on this one? ; ) I'd say really damn low.

And how come nobody ever mentioned RTV sucking on the Fungi Perfecti bags?  Very annoying.

Thanks for hearing my rant,
-nev

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: RTV and bulk bags with filters.... ERRRR [Re: anevsky]
    #8837324 - 08/27/08 05:50 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

As arnold swatcheneger said from t3

"relax.......... RELAX!!!"

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlineanevsky
Dilettante
 User Gallery

Re: RTV and bulk bags with filters.... ERRRR [Re: veda_sticks]
    #8837585 - 08/27/08 06:33 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Well put.  We shall see.  Coming from you, that is actually a vote of confidence.

Nonetheless, does RTV react with alcohol? Maybe just not wiping it down will be the better choice.

Thanks
nev

OfflineGP2B
Stranger
    #8837957 - 08/27/08 07:21 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Similar experience on my 1st go with bags. Seal them before PC'n, just take out all the air and wrap in tin foil, when done cooking turn heat to lowest setting before cutting it off all together so that pressure drops slower.

Clear packing tape is much better than RTV. Use two layers one down before sticking with needle then another to seal.

Offlineanevsky
Dilettante
 User Gallery

Re: RTV and bulk bags with filters.... ERRRR [Re: GP2B]
    #8839240 - 08/27/08 10:36 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Really? You seal them before PC'ing?  That sounds like an explosion waiting to happen to me.  I've read here and in other places that a sealed PC can work, but the parameters are tight.  Please elaborate on what you do. 

One thought I have (if the pro's look at this they might help...) is to seal the bag with a gas permeable membrane like Parafilm or maybe even standard masking tape - that way they can handle the pressure without exploding in the cooker..

Hey advanced Mycos - any advice on doing bags without a flow hood?  Seal before TEKs?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
-nev

Invisiblethemange
Senior Citizen
Male

#8839485 - 08/27/08 11:31 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

as far as your impulse sealer. i use a heat setting of around 5.5 for presealable autoclave bags. you may have to experiment with a test bag a couple times to figure out your perfect setting. if it's not right, it won't seal well.

when you hear the it click, immediatley release pressure. then let it sit there for a second before moving the bag.

if it melts off a strip, thats fine. make sure to test the bag to ensure you have a good seal. it should release air very slowly from the filter patch and nowhere else if the seal is good.

lately i've been pre-sealing my spawn bags. it works well. a time ago i used to not pre-seal but after pre-sealing with a 100% success rate the last 3 or 4 times, i have changed my methods.

make sure to:

A: fil the pressure cooker at least 2/3 full with spawn bags
B: put a couple ceramic plates on top to hold down the bags.
C: fold the lip on the bag (filter side in) and tape it down with scotch tape

as far as the rtv goes, just apply it to the bags while they are dry and empty, let the rtv dry before you fill them with spawn or PC them. give them 36 hours and you can do whatever you want without worrying.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags