Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

Loc: TX
Worried about going schizo
    #8828283 - 08/25/08 11:54 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I recently found out that my great grandpa was schizophrenic, suggesting it may be in my physiology as well. However, ive eaten mushrooms and done a litte dmt and a multitude of other things prior to finding out about this rather disturbing news - but for some reason I'm not worried about it. All drugs in general significantly changed my perspective on stuff, but I have never been genuinely concerned with going crazy - not have I ever felt like I was really losing control (thats mostly true). I would like to continue to eat psychs, but I'm not really 100% about it - anyone offer any advice/medical journal stuff or anything would be appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Worried about going schizo [Re: Flop Johnson]
    #8830178 - 08/26/08 10:56 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

At least it was your great-grandfather and not either of your parents who turned out to be schizophrenic, so IMO you have a better chance of not contracting mental illness.  The presence of that single gene, though, is definitely risky--in the end, it's really up to you to decide how much you want to play with your sanity.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisibleJRayV
former guy on couch
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: l Flag
Re: Worried about going schizo [Re: deCypher]
    #8831136 - 08/26/08 03:01 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It's actually known to skip generations in families with a history of schizophrenia.

Are there any other family members you know of with the condition?

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Worried about going schizo [Re: JRayV]
    #8831340 - 08/26/08 04:08 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hmm, didn't know that.  Does it skip a single generation, or is it just indeterminately recessive?

--------------------

InvisibleaDoS
freedom lover
Male User Gallery

Loc: land of the free
    #8832316 - 08/26/08 07:34 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

At least you are aware that it CAN be a possibility. I don't know how old you are, but by this age you are probably ok, especially if you have used psychedelics.

I use to think I was becoming schizophrenic for a while but I quit tweaking and I went back to normal.

--------------------
"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution - then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise." - Aldous Huxley
:drooling:GIVE ME OPIATES OR GIVE ME DEATH:drooling:

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Worried about going schizo [Re: aDoS]
    #8832478 - 08/26/08 08:08 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

aDoS said: I don't know how old you are, but by this age you are probably ok

Late adolescence and the start of early adulthood are the peak times for developing schizophrenia.

--------------------

Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

#8835868 - 08/27/08 01:01 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Maybe just wait a few years and see if everything is OK upstairs then start it up again. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to not go super wild on the psychs either.

I'm trying to figure out how a psychedelic experience would prompt the expression of genetic schizophrenia. I have read before that people suffering from loneliness and depression over time change the expression of certain genes. Maybe it's that psychedelics amplify the mind, which could put pressure on genes in a few hours what would normally take months or years. Thinking about this is interesting in other ways too, such as the positives that could come about from psychedelic experiences.

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: Worried about going schizo [Re: fazdazzle]
    #8836303 - 08/27/08 02:29 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

The stress-diathesis model of schizophrenia states that the heritable component of schizophrenia only becomes activated after a biological, environmental, or psychological stressor--the psychedelic experience could be enough of a significantly traumatic event that it would qualify as a stressor in this way.

--------------------

Offlinejonathanseagull
Cool!
Male

Re: Worried about going schizo [Re: deCypher]
    #8837461 - 08/27/08 06:12 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Psychedelics and any other stressor can bring out latent psychological problems.

My friend today is upset because a girl he was having sex with says she's missed her period for about a week now.  He knew he was having sex with her without condoms or birth control.  Now he's acting upset.

This is kind of the same situation.  Either do it or don't, but if you do, don't kid yourself about the possible consequences.  In your situation, a lot is at risk.

--------------------
Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show, That the dear She might take some pleasure of my pain: Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know, Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain.

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

#8839963 - 08/28/08 02:03 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MoeRon said:
I recently found out that my great grandpa was schizophrenic, suggesting it may be in my physiology as well. However, ive eaten mushrooms and done a litte dmt and a multitude of other things prior to finding out about this rather disturbing news - but for some reason I'm not worried about it. All drugs in general significantly changed my perspective on stuff, but I have never been genuinely concerned with going crazy - not have I ever felt like I was really losing control (thats mostly true). I would like to continue to eat psychs, but I'm not really 100% about it - anyone offer any advice/medical journal stuff or anything would be appreciated.

I dont know how old you are, but its well known by psychologists that if you are a male and do not have schizophrenia by age 25, you will not get it, like almost 0% chance. For females its a little older, around age 30-35.

what type schizophrenia did your grandfather have? that would make a big difference too in figuring out your risk of attaining the disorder, assuming youre under 25.

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Offlinewhatiamidoing
Stranger

Re: Worried about going schizo [Re: jonathanseagull]
    #8839966 - 08/28/08 02:05 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Just don't smoke pot 10 times a day every single day.

Offlinejonathanseagull
Cool!
Male

Re: Worried about going schizo [Re: ManianFH]
    #8843058 - 08/28/08 05:34 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

mickdawg666 said:

I dont know how old you are, but its well known by psychologists that if you are a male and do not have schizophrenia by age 25, you will not get it, like almost 0% chance. 

This is true, but nothing to gamble on.  I think the current estimate is 1% of people have schizophrenia.  Late Onset Schizophrenia makes up about a quarter of those cases.  So that's 0.25%.  That's a large number of people when considering the population of the Earth.

--------------------
Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show, That the dear She might take some pleasure of my pain: Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know, Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain.

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
Re: Worried about going schizo [Re: jonathanseagull]
    #8844523 - 08/28/08 09:44 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

i used to feel this way as well, after i found out my grandmother was diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic. for a long while throughout college and the earlier part of my 20s it was a constant fear in the back of my mind. pot use was quite heavy throughout those years, and i attribute a lot of that paranoia to the pot use, and my constant dwelling upon the subject.

now approaching 25, i am confident psychosis will not find me, BUT, a large part of my new found comfort may be related to my reduction in pot use...I dunno, I didn't set up my control experiment and variables very well in this test-tube/petri-dish we call life  :wink:

EDIT: a few really awful/mind-expanding trips on mushrooms helped spur my paranoia as well. so, to sum it up so that you can take something from my reply to you: try not doing psychs (weed included) and see if your paranoia on the matter subsides.

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

Edited by Syle (08/28/08 09:45 PM)

InvisibleFlop Johnson
Praise Skatballah
Male

Loc: TX
Re: Worried about going schizo [Re: ManianFH]
    #8845209 - 08/28/08 11:26 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Edited by Flop Johnson (07/31/11 10:23 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale