Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineiamsmooth
Stranger
6 days and no sign of mycellium with fine vermiculite BRF, problem?
    #8823199 - 08/25/08 02:19 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Am I just being impatient, or is something wrong? I used fine vermiculite (it looks about the size of sand), and I've been reading that it takes longer to colonize; but there are conflicting reports as I've searched through these forums on whether or not fine is better than course.

In RR's video, I figured he used fine, so I'd follow his video as close as I can. Now, 6 days after, I don't see anything. There are some spots that look grey and slightly fuzzy, but it doesn't seem like a clear sign of growth or anything.

I also have some courser vermiculite (Schultz), which seems about twice as big as the fine stuff I'm using right now (it's about the size of sand grains I'd say).

Should I expect to wait a month before my jars colonize?

Is it actually better to stick with course verm?

Also, if someone has a pic lying around, can they please post to show me the ideal size of the vermiculite grains?

Once again, I appreciate all the help you guys give me :laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Re: 6 days and no sign of mycellium with fine vermiculite BRF, problem? [Re: iamsmooth]
    #8823206 - 08/25/08 02:23 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

6 Days is slow... But give it more time, sometimes the kinda slightly grey is the tips of mycelium colonies showing themselves against the glass.  I used fine, fine is okay to use, but I noticed it seems to take longer to colonize, and you almost need to mix in something of larger particulate to get faster colonization because of its compactness, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Just keep an eye on it. 

6 days however is slow.  What conditions do you keep it in?

Offlinenismo power
s.l.o.w.m.o.t.i.o.n.

Re: 6 days and no sign of mycellium with fine vermiculite BRF, problem? [Re: Maverick]
    #8823244 - 08/25/08 02:52 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

6 days is slow but it could be the strain..( thai took 2 more days than B+ or Z).. i just used fine verm on my project, on day 10 or so.. the gray turned into mycelium, no contams here...

fine verm does SEEM to take longer to germinate(develop mycelium) atleast to me, ive heard otherwise regarding colonization times (speeds it up supposedly)....

realistically i dont think its taking longer to colonize.. and actually some of my jars are like 40% after 10 days, including germination times.. so long story short.. im kinda happy about using fine verm as my project has exceeded my expectations so far.... altho im using used coffee grounds in the mix too.. fine verm/brf/coffee grounds..

if anything i think you  need to adjust water ratio with fine verm... ( add a little more )

some more experienced people will chime in im sure.. but thats  my .02

check on those gray spots in a few days..

i had a success rate of 17/20 using fine verm.. 3/20 after 11 days have no signs of mycelium.. if you reach 10 days.. from my experience.. i would say that it is safe to assume that something is wrong..

Offlineblackclw
on the way to the Red Queen

Re: 6 days and no sign of mycellium with fine vermiculite BRF, problem? [Re: nismo power]
    #8823528 - 08/25/08 06:48 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

My cakes took around 14 days to show some real signs of myc growth. One cake just started when all others were about 80%, so 10 days is nothing. If you have fresh spores then there MIGHT be something wrong, but not necessarily. Anyway I used about 1 year old spores.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder