Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCeara
Shroom Hunter
Female
Loc: Great White North
Anyone ever have luck locating Psilocybe quebecensis?
    #8800062 - 08/20/08 08:39 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Im on the lookout for this now.  I go out in the woods every day or every other day.

So far Ive found no active species, but a few edibles and some possibly nasty poisonous varieties.

Just wondering if anyone located Psilocybe quebecensis in the wild yet.  Last post I saw was for Sept 2007 and no other mention since.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedrunkenlawngnome
The Candy Man Can
 User Gallery

Loc: GTA, Canada Flag
Re: Anyone ever have luck locating Psilocybe quebecensis? [Re: Ceara]
    #8800117 - 08/20/08 08:54 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Where are you from? they are native to Quebec and grow when the temp under 15C.

InvisibleCeara
Shroom Hunter
Female
Re: Anyone ever have luck locating Psilocybe quebecensis? [Re: drunkenlawngnome]
    #8800394 - 08/20/08 10:13 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I'm not from Quebec originally, but now living in the Gaspe peninsula of Quebec.  I head into the woods very often because I have dogs that need walking and while there I check for mushrooms.  Mainly for edibles though, but I'm interested in all of mycology. 

15 C average for how long?  Well they may possibly be fruiting now because all year we've had funky, cool, wet, rainy weather.  It's been a horrible year weather-wise for people and gardening due to lack of sun, but it makes the mushrooms happy.  lol

This whole week it's not forecast to even get over 16 C.  Right now it's 13 C.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #8800406 - 08/20/08 10:18 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I'd be looking for Psilocybe semilanceata if it were me.

--------------------

InvisibleCeara
Shroom Hunter
Female

Re: Anyone ever have luck locating Psilocybe quebecensis? [Re: Mr. Mushrooms]
    #8800421 - 08/20/08 10:21 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hehe, well I'm a total newbie at mushrooms altogether.  Never taken any except the gourmet ones from the grocery store.  Right now I get excited when I see any type, no matter what it is.  Silly, huh?

So I don't know squat about the species you mention.  Will have to look it up.

Thanks though for the Latin name.

InvisibleCeara
Shroom Hunter
Female

#8800431 - 08/20/08 10:25 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hmmm, checked a Mycology site for Quebec and they don't even have that one listed as found.  Name isn't there, no photos either.

http://mycoquebec.org/accueil.php?bas.php?

Unless it's one of those cases where the Latin name gets changed a lot.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

#8800442 - 08/20/08 10:30 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It's not a name that has changed in 20 years.  It's psychoactive so they probably discourage it.  Use our search engine and type in Liberty Caps Quebec and there are two pages.  You could also type in Psilocybe semilanceata Quebec too.

We're not shy about psychoactive mushrooms here. :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleCeara
Shroom Hunter
Female

#8800479 - 08/20/08 10:39 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Cool, thank you very much!

The grass is very tall, it will be hard finding them.  So far the best spots I've seen for many shrooms have been on the forest floor in piles of wood pieces, rotting wood, evergreen needles and boggy areas with fuzzy lichen-type ground cover.  Most have been identified, but there are some I can't even compare to photos or descriptions. 

Even found some growing and pinning on a flat rock of all places, in a pile of evergreen needles.  Could be spruce needles, but not sure.  No idea what type of fungi they are yet though, but have video on file.

I'm trying to be as detailed as possible.  Hardly anything is known about mushrooms in the Quebec peninsula.  Most other publications are for Montrea/Quebec City area.

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
    #8801229 - 08/20/08 02:27 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Senor_Hongos said:
I'd be looking for Psilocybe semilanceata if it were me.

:thumbup:

OfflineDisgruntled_Uterus
Stranger
Male

Loc: Quebec, Qc
    #9053330 - 10/09/08 12:15 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I am looking for Psilocybe quebecensis every time i go in the wood. I live at 20 km from Sainte-Catherine-de-la-Jacques-Cartier where it is mentioned they were  discovered. The climate where i live is the same but i haven't found any of them yet. I am still looking and if i can find some I'll for sure make spore print and share them with interested person.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Anyone ever have luck locating Psilocybe quebecensis? [Re: Disgruntled_Uterus]
    #9053675 - 10/09/08 01:32 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

I think there is more than one little brown active Psilocybe that grows in woody debris in your area.  Some of them look more like liberty caps and others look more like Psilocybe baeocystis.  I would get the original paper on quebecensis and check out the type locality, search the square mile around where they found it really well.    There are probably still colonies in the area even many years later.  Also go approximately the same time of year that they found it.  If you are within a couple months, check every weekend if its been raining.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/08-13/662994571-quebec.jpg

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Anyone ever have luck locating Psilocybe quebecensis? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9054234 - 10/09/08 03:13 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

This is the perfect time to look for Psilocybe quebecensis if you live in the area.
Good luck!

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Re: Anyone ever have luck locating Psilocybe quebecensis? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #9054614 - 10/09/08 04:47 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
I think there is more than one little brown active Psilocybe that grows in woody debris in your area.  Some of them look more like liberty caps and others look more like Psilocybe baeocystis.  I would get the original paper on quebecensis and check out the type locality, search the square mile around where they found it really well.    There are probably still colonies in the area even many years later.  Also go approximately the same time of year that they found it.  If you are within a couple months, check every weekend if its been raining.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/08-13/662994571-quebec.jpg

That's what I call "Hunting."  Find the habitat, match the conditions, find the mushroom.  It's that simple and that complex.

Here's another word.  Don't ramble through the woods at a fast pace hoping to see something unless you are actively focusing on the place where they might fruit.  If and when you do find one, examine the habitat very carefully.  Then, look for more exact habitat and go over it s-l-o-w-l-y.  Pretend you lost a diamond ring and look for them as if you lost it.

It isn't an Easter Egg hunt; it's a mushroom hunt.

To the new guy:  :goodluck:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale