Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Dont buy big oils lies.
    #8799729 - 08/20/08 05:37 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

http://sierraclub.typepad.com/insider/2008/08/the-drill-of-it.html

Did you know that oil companies are already sitting on 68 million acres of leases that they aren't even drilling? Which kind of makes you wonder: Why are Big Oil and its allies suddenly desperate to get their hands on the last few places that are still protected -- our natural treasures, wildlife refuges, and pristine coastlines? They wouldn't use the concerns caused by high gas prices as an excuse to grab it ALL, would they?

Check out our map showing how much of our country Big Oil has already got and spread the word by forwarding it to friends who agree: Enough is enough.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineXeluc
Traveler
Male

Re: Dont buy big oils lies. [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #8800676 - 08/20/08 11:36 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Wait a minute, so does anyone even LIVE in Utah? Theres like 100 square miles NOT leased to oil companies based on that map.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Dont buy big oils lies. [Re: Xeluc]
    #8800733 - 08/20/08 11:53 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. That couldn't possibly be right.

InvisibleDieCommie

#8800875 - 08/20/08 12:35 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I dont understand what you are insinuating.

(And how come every time a company is made to look bad they but 'big' in front of the name, it makes me lol every time)

OfflineXeluc
Traveler
Male

Re: Dont buy big oils lies. [Re: DieCommie]
    #8801568 - 08/20/08 03:51 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Because usually their reason for looking bad is in some way using their (usually "big") influence to affect other things or interests, political or not. "Big Oil" indeed. You could also use the term to group many similar companies, which is being done here as well.

Also, Utah IS pretty desolate if I remember correctly. Also the marked spots aren't all owned by oil companies, they are either owned or have permission to buy. Maybe it isn't impossible, but seriously, why not just give them Utah and that other state that has <1% free land as per the map.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#8801610 - 08/20/08 04:01 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

well I wasnt implying anything, just copy and pasted from sierraclubs website, as usual, just regurgitating material ive found to see what you guys think.  :arabs:

AND

Utah has 2,550,063 people within 82,143.65 square miles which comes to a whopping 31 people per square mile.

Quote:

Approximately 88 percent of Utah's 2,645,330 people, known as "Utahns", live in an urban concentration with Salt Lake City as the center, known as the Wasatch Front. In contrast, vast expanses of the state are nearly uninhabited.

it appears it is correct redstorm.

and commie, they are big, are they not?  they are some of the most profitable corporations in the world, with little competition.  i find this article interesting, and somewhat appalling. seeing the land that they currently lease, or are able to lease, it makes you wonder why they keep trying to lease up protected lands. why not drill on already acquired land?

--------------------

OfflineXeluc
Traveler
Male

#8801646 - 08/20/08 04:07 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Because thats already guaranteed land. It's financial security; Once the words out that we're fucked and shit hits the fan globally, the US will have to depend less on foreign oil.  They'd rather sit on it and make a fuss about stuff they don't have yet. Anyone here think oil companies will not pounce on a single minute opportunity? This boat's going down soon guys, they know that.

I do think they should leave ANWR alone though. There's no way that one oil field, no matter the size, could stop or even slow the oil crunch enough to warrrent the destruction it would create. Why don't we just suck it up instead of clinging to oil with our last dieing breath? Is it..... Money?

Edited by Xeluc (08/20/08 04:10 PM)

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Dont buy big oils lies. [Re: Xeluc]
    #8801690 - 08/20/08 04:15 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, let me see.  They have the ability to drill on alot of land, but dont want to.  They want want the ability to drill on more, protected land so if they want to drill in the future they could?

I have to say, I don't really get it.  If they want to keep supply low and prices high then they wouldn't drill anywhere.  If they want to sell alot of oil, then they would want to drill on the easy parts first.  Is the quality of the oil different?  I see in that map much of the southwest covered, but is that oil that economically viable to drill?

Im not to quick here, but something isnt adding up.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #8801753 - 08/20/08 04:31 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I think you got it. They've drilled all the easy spots and now, rather than drilling the hard spots, they want more land with easy spots. Like nature reserves and stuff.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Dont buy big oils lies. [Re: zouden]
    #8801767 - 08/20/08 04:36 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Well, it makes no sense to expect them to drill where its not economically viable.

So the real question is; Is the oil worth the impact it will have on protected land?  The fact that they have been given opportunity elsewhere is irrelevant.  When environmentalists throw in useless information like this, it hurts their cause.  I wouldn't have been skeptical at all if they didn't try to deceive me.

OfflineRebirtha
I really like bread
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: over there
    #8801775 - 08/20/08 04:37 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

ANWR in Alaska is by no means an 'easy' spot.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Dont buy big oils lies. [Re: Rebirtha]
    #8801777 - 08/20/08 04:38 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Easy just means economically viable.  Better oil in a tougher spot can be 'easier' than bad oil in an easy spot.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Dont buy big oils lies. [Re: Rebirtha]
    #8801784 - 08/20/08 04:41 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Now that the price of oil is higher, it's economical to drill in places where it wasn't before. But that won't bring the price down of course.

I dunno, it just seems like... giving them more land to drill in is like selling your mother's jewellery to buy more crack. When that runs out, you're still addicted and your mother is crying.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

OfflineXeluc
Traveler
Male

#8801804 - 08/20/08 04:47 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yep.

Before its over people will be scuffling over the last shale oil and tar sand deposits. No doubt if not already, even THAT method of extraction will be viable. its not jsut oil either. in a neighboring "village", coal companies are buying out most of the township for strip mining coal. My girlfriends house is like an island in one of these places, they never sold to the coal company.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#8801819 - 08/20/08 04:51 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

when a profit driven corporation and a natural PRESERVE is concerned, no, it is not worth it.  it is only worth it to them.

in the time it takes them to lobby and finally buy their way into ANWR, then set up the equipment to get the oil, they could have invested the money on renewable and sustainable fuels instead, still making billions a quarter, you know, since it is the future of fuels?

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#8801827 - 08/20/08 04:52 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

zouden said:
Now that the price of oil is higher, it's economical to drill in places where it wasn't before. But that won't bring the price down of course.

I dunno, it just seems like... giving them more land to drill in is like selling your mother's jewellery to buy more crack. When that runs out, you're still addicted and your mother is crying.

:thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleJack yo Self foo
The Artful Dodger
 User Gallery

Loc: Where the red fern grows....
    #8801828 - 08/20/08 04:52 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

the way i understand it is that they know thereis oil in those spots, but they don't know how much oil is in certain spots...

they could set up shop and spend millions and lose money on the deal when the well dries up before they can breakeven...perhaps history says that drilling off shore finds deeper wells than wells on land...

i don't know..i'm not an oil man like Bruce T Pickens eor whatever his name is...

--------------------
You learn something new everyday, so be sure you learn something from it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order