Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRealnuggetz
Just a friend of the family
Male User Gallery

Loc: SF/NYC biCoastal
My next invitro project
    #8784301 - 08/16/08 09:44 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

So, after my last invitro flop I have learned a few things. I had a very high rate of contamination due to one of two things (I hope) endospores from birdseed or woodchips mixed in with my poo.

This is the recipe I used for my bags, courtesy of Wronguy

48 Cups of horse manure (shredded)
24 Cups of vermiculite
16 1/2 Cups of dry WBS (do not soak or simmer)
4 Tablespoons of dry Kelp Meal
6 Tablespoons of Canola or Vegetable oil
21 Cups of water

This time I plan on actually shredding my manure. It was shredded enough when I got it from the horse farm. But I think the stuff I got was too old. I think this time I'll get it closer to the top of this huge dung pile. I ordered an electric chipper/shredder to take care of the wood chips in the poo. Such an easy source of poo, I'd hate to give it up because of wood chips.

DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT THESE WOODCHIPS, THOUGH SHREDDED, COULD STILL CAUSE GREEN MOLD IN MY SUBSTRATE?

this time I plan on adding 10% gypsum by volume, plus coir and worm castings in an amount to be determined by the thinktank of the shroomery.

I would like to kick around the idea of just using rye grain instead of WBS. Because I think that maybe it would lessen my chance of contams. SHOULD I ADD THE RYE DRY? AS THE RECIPE CALLS FOR DRY WBS?

--------------------
Nothin left to do but smile smile smile

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
Re: My next invitro project [Re: Realnuggetz]
    #8784622 - 08/16/08 11:18 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I read on here somewhere, I forget who it was (sorry whoever you are), about using the top screen off of a 10 gallon rodent/reptile terrarium. (I knew my kids trying out every animal known to man as a pet would pay off eventually). I have used it for a few hundred pounds of manure so far. Works like a charm!

It removes wood chips, hair, hoof clippings, rocks, larger pieces of hay and basically everything  but the manure! It also grinds the manure into a fine sawdust-like size. Just load the screen with a large handful and grind it back and forth a few times with your hand, (gloves if you need them). Take what doesn't fall through the screens holes and put into a wheelbarrow, then the garden.

I would like to make a frame out of 2x8's and find the same sized screen in a bulk form so the whole process will go faster! The small size is the only caveat, but for smaller grows it's the shit. (pun intended :wink:)

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Edited by BrandNewbie (08/16/08 11:19 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds