Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

making a bootable HD image for system restore...
    #8781694 - 08/16/08 10:38 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

what do i need to make a bootable image of my HD for when i format my computer so i can just put the disk in after format and it will automaticly restore my HD so i dont have to go and set everything back up and install all the crap that i have on my computer...  like the resotre disks that come with your computer just without all the stupid crap.. would it be something like windows PE or somethign like that..??

thanks,
will

--------------------
:scaryshroom: :shitstorm: :mattz: :bongload: :gethigh: :scaryshroom:

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

remember opions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePure.Dope
Astro Traveler
Male User Gallery

Re: making a bootable HD image for system restore... [Re: willmafingerdo]
    #8781767 - 08/16/08 11:07 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

A couple questions I'd like to ask you.

Do you have Vista or XP?

If you have XP, is there a recovery or restore partition on your hd?
(one way to find this out would be to right click "my computer", select manage, select disk management)

Why are you wanting to format the hd?  Is your computer slow, have viruses, or just fucked beyond saving it, so you just wanna start fresh?

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal Flag
    #8781771 - 08/16/08 11:09 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Use Acronis True Image.  It'll create a boot CD for you to load your backed up image with.  Works wonders! :thumbup:

OfflineAnother_Melb_Guy
Single White Male
Male

Re: making a bootable HD image for system restore... [Re: Newbie]
    #8781812 - 08/16/08 11:20 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Acronis True Image

Norton Ghost

Casperxp

all of these will do the job

--------------------

Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

Re: making a bootable HD image for system restore... [Re: Pure.Dope]
    #8781941 - 08/16/08 11:59 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

pure.dope:
I dont use the factory install on my hd.. its full of to much crap and junk that i dont want and dont use, so i format the puter and put what i want on it that way i know what all is on my HD adn were it all is.. i deleted the factory resore partition also..  but im using win xp.

if i use acronis or any of those programs can i use the boot disk on a fresh formated puter?? or do i still have to install win and put the program that i made the image with back on then boot up with the image disk??

thanks,
will

--------------------

I am not lost.. i am going there looking for it.. and when i get there and find it, i will know what it is..

"The way to stop violence is not to go out and let your head be beaten in but to say, you want to take my life risk yours!"

"are you sure u want to eat all them shrooms??"  "yes i want to hear what my mind has to say..."

OfflineAnother_Melb_Guy
Single White Male
Male

#8785993 - 08/17/08 09:52 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

willmafingerdo

hey mate...

once you do this you wont need to install win xp every few months when something goes wrong... instead you simply copy over a full image..

want you trying to do is what ive finally done...

I bought a new Hdd so my old 80gig hdd is going to waste so i did a clean windows install (I make custom xp disks for myself and some friends / clients, using "Nlite" <<-- google that) on the new hdd installed all the programs games appz music, vids .. you can put what ever you like on...... Ive then installed norton ghost.. this makes a full image of your Hdd... that image is sent to my old 80gig Hdd.. norton shost creates a boot cd... format pc...insert boot cd (norton ghost boot disk)  it then asks for you image to transfer over... i point it to my old Hdd and it copys over... (20 mins later) remove cd ... boot all brand new again......

you can image to and old hdd or dvd.. even bluray is supported in the new edition..

i image to a Hdd cause i install alot of crap so i dont have to later.

"Nlite" <--- great app to create a custom win dvd.. include drivers software.. never ever again have to type your cd key in again.. remove 90% of microsoft crap safely .. just stuff you will never use anyway.. set up options ... Google it please.. i could go on about it for ages but until you make your own custom win xp dvd you wont know what im on about lol

Nlite Website .. check out their forums also... its a free app by the way

Code:
http://www.nliteos.com/

ok that gave my fingers a fair work out lol

good luck

--------------------

Edited by Another_Melb_Guy (08/17/08 09:53 AM)

OfflinePure.Dope
Astro Traveler
Male User Gallery

#8788801 - 08/17/08 10:40 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I would just use Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost.

You have to decide where you'd like the image.  You can either burn the image to a bunch of cd's or dvd's, or you can use a spare hard drive.

With Acronis, you use the Acronis boot cd to create your image.  When you are ready to load that image in the future, you simply use that same boot cd, and load the image from wherever you saved it (hard drive or dvd's). 

And to answer your other question, there does not have to be an os installed to load the image.

Do you need the Acronis boot disk?

Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

#8805663 - 08/21/08 01:03 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

sorry for the delay post.. been bussy.. but i got acronis and installed it, but what i want to do is make a bootable dvd disk with the image on the boot disk so all i have to do is put in the cd and click restore, my image and boot paramaters will fit onto 1 dvd so multi disk resotre wont be a problem, and i dont want to use a HD to store my image becuase i know a DVD will never crash or go bad, as long as it dosent get scrached.., i tried running the acronis boot prog, and it did make a boot disk but i cant get it to let me burn the backup image onto the disk also, it just burns the 55.5 mb boot file onto the DVD and does not include my backup image. i tried reading the help file for acronics... but that was a waste of time... if anyone could tell me how to do this, or point me to a tec it would be greatly apriciated..

thanks,
will

--------------------

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#8806284 - 08/21/08 03:10 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

A DVD can certainly go bad.  They use a special dye to hold the information, and that dye deteriorates over time.  It's not like a regular professionally burned CD or DVD.  I'd use an Western Digital external HDD.

Offlinewillmafingerdo
the noob
Male User Gallery

Re: making a bootable HD image for system restore... [Re: Newbie]
    #8809720 - 08/22/08 06:47 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

anything "can" go bad.. but the chances of a cd, that has been properly stored and taken care of, just not working one day compared to a HD crashing on you, your chances are alot better with the cd..  i would of agread with you a couple weeks ago newbie shroomie, but i just had my HD crash on me, was running fine no signs of it going bad the HD wasnt even a yr old, was messing with it b4 i whent to work, when i came home, it was fried.. no warning nothing, thats why im not relying on a HD for my main backup.

--------------------

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#8810381 - 08/22/08 10:28 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I can't wait for solid state HDD's to come down in price.  :grin:  They'll be the ultimate storage medium.

OfflinePure.Dope
Astro Traveler
Male User Gallery

#9005305 - 09/29/08 09:25 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Okay here goes. 

You are on the right track.  You need that initial boot disk to make your "backup" image.  So what you will do is, boot to that disk that you created.  It will give you a couple options.  The one you are looking for is to "Backup and Restore".  Then you will want to choose the "backup" option.  You will follow the wizard to make the backup, and you will want to either save the backup to another hard drive (which needs to already be connected, via ide, sata, or usb, or even scsi for that matter).  After this you will have the desired backup saved to your chosen disk, so in the future, all you do is boot using that same cd, then choose the "Restore" option, and follow the wizard to restore that image to your selected media. 

There you go, you are now a backup image pro!

Invisiblemagikgrl
~Inevitable~
Female User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
    #9005468 - 09/29/08 09:51 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the tip on Acronis True Image

Downloading a torrent now.

I hate ghost

--------------------

"In the 60s people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal...go figure."

Becoming human was not part of the plan...

I wish I could be as high as my tolerance-danlennon

Reality is a crutch for those that can't cope with drugs.

OfflinePure.Dope
Astro Traveler
Male User Gallery

Re: making a bootable HD image for system restore... [Re: magikgrl]
    #9010341 - 09/30/08 08:06 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Glad I could help.  I used to get a bit frustrated w/ ghost too.  Happy I made the switch.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #9011921 - 10/01/08 02:52 AM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

willmafingerdo said:
what do i need to make a bootable image of my HD for when i format my computer so i can just put the disk in after format and it will automaticly restore my HD

What's the point of formatting your HD if you're just going to load a ghosted image back on it?

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

OfflinePure.Dope
Astro Traveler
Male User Gallery

Re: making a bootable HD image for system restore... [Re: zouden]
    #9019421 - 10/02/08 05:35 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Good point zouden. 

When an image is restored to a hard drive the program will automatically format your hard drive beforehand.

Offlinezouden
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #9021509 - 10/02/08 11:46 PM (15 years, 5 months ago)

Actually I hadn't even thought of that. I just thought that he'd be putting everything back on it, so it'd be like he hadn't formatted at all (apart from the waste of time).

Unless he's going back to an old image? But it just sounds like he wants to back everything up into an image, format, then put the image back on. Seems pointless.

--------------------
I know... that just the smallest
                                                part of the world belongs to me
You know... I'm not a blind man
                                                    but truth is the hardest thing to see

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale