Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCornfield
Open Minded

pure o2 fruiting chamber
    #8774279 - 08/14/08 06:27 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Im just throwing an idea out here so dont flame me to bad if its retarded ok?

I have cultivated with the pf cakes several times with great results and want to move onto casing.

I have an oxygen concentrator and was wondering what the effects would be in this setup. These machines usually vary in pure o2 but average between 90/95% pure oxygen. the oxygen concentrators have several highly effective filters in them. before the outlet oxygen comes out of the machine it is ran through a bacteria filter. As you can see in the picture there is a humidifier inline which i would fill with ph balanced distilled water.

My idea is that the concentrator will be set up on a timer to run several times a day filling a 100% sealed fruiting chamber with oxygen, and forcing the co2 out a one way outlet around the bottom of the chamber.

Lets say conditions are "ideal". All substrate  ph balanced to 7.5 as well as ph balanced distilled water. I would be using WBS from a myco-bag cased with coco coir hydrated lime, gypsum, kelp meal and blood meal.

The fruiting chamber will be completely air tight and sterile, with sterile oxygen. Saturated perlite would line the bottom of the chamber and id also have a 1 way inlet to replace any moisture loss of the perlit.

With these "ideal circumstances" would the pure oxygen and complete lack of co2 have a dramatic effect on the quality of the harvest?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Edited by Cornfield (08/14/08 06:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: pure o2 fruiting chamber [Re: Cornfield]
    #8774426 - 08/14/08 07:11 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting.

I'd imagine that any benifit would be so little that going to that effort would be just too much work.

I seem to remember RR posting that the ideal air for shrooms was sominthing like

89% nitrogen
21% O2

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

InvisibleR10tGuNn3r

Re: pure o2 fruiting chamber [Re: veda_sticks]
    #8774654 - 08/14/08 07:55 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

really... so if i put my nitrogen tank on a slow leak into my grow chaimber... LOLZ :rolleyes:

honestly... i dont think its worth it..

Edited by R10tGuNn3r (08/14/08 07:56 PM)

InvisibleCornfield
Open Minded

#8774777 - 08/14/08 08:14 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Well what im basing my theory on is solely on the fact that fungi consume oxygen and give off carbon dioxide, opposite to plants. I figured with 90/95% oxygen they would flourish like crazy. Id like to hear some educated responses to this. regular air is 21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen, with a little argon and some other things in the mix. I know when growing plants of any kind if you increase the co2 they grow like you gave them crack. why wouldnt this be true with fungi if you reversed it and increased o2 and eliminated co2? id love to hear some educated responses.

Edited by Cornfield (08/14/08 08:29 PM)

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor

#8774828 - 08/14/08 08:22 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

working with oxygen can be dangerous.

Invisiblefee
Im he who is the
 User Gallery

Loc: amsterdam
    #8774852 - 08/14/08 08:29 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:

I seem to remember RR posting that the ideal air for shrooms was sominthing like

89% nitrogen
21% O2

ya I would have to agree that 110 % of anything is better than the normal 100% every one is use too

lol

--------------------

blankk said to fee:
btw you're a total fucking psychedelic pimp
Turtletotem said:
I want to become a sun worshipper, so next time an atheist smugly asks me where god is, I can point smugly at the sun and laugh my ass off.

Then I drive away in my solar powered piece of shit car, cool stuff man.

And then I go kill a bitch because the flaming orb in the sky told me to do so, and I don't know, oppress a few minorities here and there in the name of nuclear fusion?

Religion is fun.

Offlinesmily
lookin 4 my ass wit both handz
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Lee HO FooKs
Re: pure o2 fruiting chamber [Re: fee]
    #8774889 - 08/14/08 08:38 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

sounds logical feed them oxy. like ya feed cannabis co2 since ya have experience and ya didn't get flamed at all

DO IT !!!!!! on a small scale DO IT !!!!!!

be cool if ya go monsters.

good luck

:smile:

--------------------

CrAnKy PiLlOwS YeAh PiLlOwS

InvisibleCornfield
Open Minded

#8774895 - 08/14/08 08:39 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

durban_poison said:
working with oxygen can be dangerous.

Yes working with oxygen can be dangerous but not as much as you think. I have experience as i used to work for a medical equipment supplier as a respiratory therapist. I delivered and set up medical equipment in patients homes and worked mostly with oxygen. Most of my work was just delivering liquid oxygen or servicing the concentrators we rented out.

OfflineEat A Peach
Iconoclastic guerilla
Male

Loc: I can see my house from h...
    #8774999 - 08/14/08 09:10 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fee said:
Quote:

veda_sticks said:

89% nitrogen
21% O2

ya I would have to agree that 110 % of anything is better than the normal 100% every one is use too

pPPffffTttt!!  Good Catch, too funny.

EAP

--------------------
Look inside yourself, and if you don't see what you want,
Maybe sometimes then you don't,
But leave your mind alone and just get high.

Offlineinfinitespiral
moel

Re: pure o2 fruiting chamber [Re: Eat A Peach]
    #8775015 - 08/14/08 09:20 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i have a oxy generator that creates 15 psi at 98% purity. however the electricity it cost to run it out weighs the benefits of production.

Offlinesmily

Re: pure o2 fruiting chamber [Re: infinitespiral]
    #8775023 - 08/14/08 09:24 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

just do it once cost that much just to see what happens.

--------------------

InvisibleCornfield
Open Minded

Re: pure o2 fruiting chamber [Re: smily]
    #8775444 - 08/14/08 10:48 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I have definitely thought about the cost of the electricity to run the o2 concentrator. I dont plan on running it 24/7.

The one i have is adjustable and puts out between 2 and 10 liters per minute. I figure to get it to optimum o2 production it would need to run about 5 minutes to get the highest o2 concentration.

Math isnt my strong suit but im sure i can figure out how long to set the timer to run to get the desired effect. The easiest way would probably be to convert gallons to liters. I could fill the chamber with water, measure how many gallons it holds, and then multiply by 3.7854118.

So lets say my fruiting chamber holds 75 gallons of water that would be 283.9 liters which would mean the unit would need to run 28 minutes at a time after initial startup.

I dont know how many watts my concentrator uses exactly but a similar one i found on the net says 585 watts. to figure out how much its gonna cost me i would take 585W and divide by 1000 which = .585 kilowatts.

a kilowatt hour is 1000 watts used for 1 hour. Next i need to figure out how many hours it will run per day. I would guess i would need to fill it with fresh oxygen every 5 hours. So 24 hours in a day times 30 days would be 720 hours. 720 hours is 43,200 minutes. 43,200 minutes divided by 28 minutes each run is 1542.8 minutes divided by 60 to get hours is 25.71 hours.

now i need to take 25.71 hours and times it by my electric rate per kilowatt which varies during summer and winter months (goes way up in summer, plan on growing in winter though and dont know actual rate) so lets just go with my summer rate which is $.098 per kilowatt.

So i take 25.71 hours times .098 and get 2.51 at the summer rate.

SOOOOO is $2.51 in electricity consumption worth a better harvest? HELL YEAH? that is if it works LOL!

This is all up in the air right now as i dont know exactly how big the fruting chamber would need to be yet and dont know the all the parameters of what my machine uses etc etc etc. Another thing is that when an appliance initially turns on it sucks a lot of amps to get started. Initial startup of the machine that many times per month would definitely make cost go up but what im getting at is i dont really think what i use in electricity is going to be a big deal whatsoever.

Anyone reading this! if you know anything please reply, if you know someone who would know would u direct them this way? im going to have all fall and winter off of work to experiment and i really want to log everything and put it on this site!

Maybe im obsessed but i like to call it passion, im a cancer!

Edited by Cornfield (08/14/08 10:56 PM)

Offlinesmily

#8775598 - 08/14/08 11:25 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

fuck all that go small do a PF tek in a plastic shoe box or the like dont go big just go normal to small to see if you get a BIG PUNCH !!!!! adding CO2 to cannabis gives a marked bigger harvest

DO IT

--------------------

Offlinesmily

#8775599 - 08/14/08 11:26 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

and ya got all the stuff allready or at least the spendy stuff

--------------------

OfflineIma TrooperS
Chilldog Extraordinaire
Male User Gallery

Loc: United States
    #8775605 - 08/14/08 11:28 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I saw a grow setup in the Advanced Mycology section a while back, that had that exact same idea. The guy tried it and said it didn't make any difference, but was extremely dangerous to try. I'm too lazy to search for a link, but if someone else wants to...  :shrug:

--------------------
"Its moving of its own accord...and I like that in a shirt!" - Me, tripping.

deCypher said:
Schizophrenia beats dining alone, you know.

OfflineHazeyRoms
The Pro Sonn
Male

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: pure o2 fruiting chamber [Re: Ima Trooper]
    #8776102 - 08/15/08 02:05 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

21% O2, with 79% N would be close to ideal.
RR

-know beacuse I just had a post called " Elements of a fruiting mushrrom? " An RR repliewd my thread with that.

-I will be trying the same thing.

--------------------
-Sonn, Hazey here. And I'm bacc. Anyone in Wisconsin, PM me. Unity my nillas/niggas.

-"5 Nike duffle bags??? How much does all that weigh?? - Just 30 pounds Bruhh, relax my nilla, it don't stink like weed so we're all good."-(Penis Envy Moments)-

OfflineCloneufc
Master Exploder!
Male

Loc: Las Vegas Flag
Re: pure o2 fruiting chamber [Re: HazeyRoms]
    #8776270 - 08/15/08 03:16 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

CO2 is needed! Mycelium doesnt grow above ground. It grows in the ground where theres very little oxygen. In nature when mycelium reaches the surface where there is less CO2 it initiates pinning triggers.Having CO2 during colonization keeps competitor fungi out also. Too much CO2 will slow growth but some CO2 is good during the vegative or growth stage. Using pure or almost pure oxygen may initiate pinning before the substrate is fully colonized.

OfflineHazeyRoms
The Pro Sonn
Male

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: pure o2 fruiting chamber [Re: Cloneufc]
    #8787092 - 08/17/08 02:43 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

then have a C02 line run through the casing...

--------------------
-Sonn, Hazey here. And I'm bacc. Anyone in Wisconsin, PM me. Unity my nillas/niggas.

-"5 Nike duffle bags??? How much does all that weigh?? - Just 30 pounds Bruhh, relax my nilla, it don't stink like weed so we're all good."-(Penis Envy Moments)-

Offlinefish42
Cracker

Loc: northern hemisphere
    #8787525 - 08/17/08 04:59 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

theres a reason mushrooms thrive in earth's current atmospheric makeup... i think evolution has something to do with it.
you're not gonna outdo nature.

--------------------
Do you dare to feel responsible for every dollar you lay down
are you going to make the rich man richer
or are you going to stand your ground
You say you want a revolution
a communal evolution
to be a part of the solution
maybe I'll be seeing you around.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
    #8787638 - 08/17/08 05:41 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
Interesting.

I'd imagine that any benifit would be so little that going to that effort would be just too much work.

89% nitrogen
21% O2

Interesting usually O2 is 20% of the atmosphere this means that the 02 concentration in your home is probibly below optimal by 1% unless you live near a lot of trees and circulate fresh air in often. Still I doubt it's worth doing anything about. Though you could move your marijuana plant closer to your fruiting chamber.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck