Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinemarshalldylan1
Stranger

Piano Players
    #8747554 - 08/09/08 03:27 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

So, I dabble on the piano and keyboards. Have no musical knowledge really, but can play a few funky songs and what not.

But, I really want to delve deep into the piano. I want to start practicing the shit out of it, and possibly jam with some friends who are looking for a keyboardist, and I'm the only one who can play, even if it ain't much.

So, what I'm looking for is any advice one could give me on learning a piano. What is the best way to go about doing it? Any good websites out there? Any good books? I really want to learn funk and blues keyboards. Do we got any funky keyboard players here?

Also, if you play, think you could post a clip of yourself, and how long you have been playing?

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJackenobi
Hermes
Male

Re: Piano Players [Re: marshalldylan1]
    #8747651 - 08/09/08 05:31 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

im not a piano player but i think this advice holds true-

get a teacher, even if it is only half hour a week. interaction pays dividends with learning about music, books and the internet can only go so far. you cant ask books and the internet questions.

they will also teach you cool shit (if you get the right guy)

i was self taught on guitar for 5 years and i just got a teacher and it has taken my knowledge and playing on in leaps and bounds.

perhaps you want to be self taught for a bit, which is cool, but if you want to be good you need to learn one to one.

good luck whatever you decide :wink:

--------------------
read books

Offlinemarshalldylan1
Stranger

Re: Piano Players [Re: Jackenobi]
    #8750757 - 08/09/08 09:58 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Jackenobi said:
im not a piano player but i think this advice holds true-

get a teacher, even if it is only half hour a week. interaction pays dividends with learning about music, books and the internet can only go so far. you cant ask books and the internet questions.

they will also teach you cool shit (if you get the right guy)

i was self taught on guitar for 5 years and i just got a teacher and it has taken my knowledge and playing on in leaps and bounds.

perhaps you want to be self taught for a bit, which is cool, but if you want to be good you need to learn one to one.

good luck whatever you decide :wink:

I will consider a teacher, but for now, I would like to see how far I can go on my own, and then maybe get a teacher once my skill level is a bit higher.

In the past when I've had music teachers, they always seemed to make practicing less fun.

Anybody else have any thing to add?

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
Re: Piano Players [Re: marshalldylan1]
    #8750781 - 08/09/08 10:04 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

if you know how to read sheet music, get yourself a nice chord chart from a music shop.  Learn one song at a time, until you know how to play the song from top to bottom and make it sound good, then move on to another song.  After a few songs, you should be pretty good at playing.  Also, get a digital piano over a keyboard IMO, they are much nicer, have weighted keys, and you can still hook them to your computer to get all the crazy sounds and effects.

peace

OfflineIdeLOLogies
Strange

Re: Piano Players [Re: supra]
    #8751904 - 08/10/08 06:23 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Right if your looking to going into jamming with people then knowing some theory will really help.

For example, do you know where middle C is?

If not then i'd start with that and learn each note, it will sound harder than it actually is.

Get a good understanding of the church modes i.e.

Ionian (Major) I
C D E F G A B C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Dorian II
C D Eb F G A Bb C
1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7 8

Phrygian III
C Db Eb F G Ab Bb C
1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8

Lydian IV
C D E F# G A B C
1  2 3 #4  5 6  7  8

Mixolydian V
C D E F G A Bb C
1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 8

Aeolian VI
C D Eb F G Ab Bb C
1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 8

Locrian VII
C Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C
1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7 8

Your going to want to get some dexterity across the keys as well, when your learning scales practice going up and down them in intervals, while this wont be the only exercise you'll want to do it will help.

As for left hand right hand Independence your gonna have to really slow things down.
Start running up and down scales with your right hand and follow it with the left an octave lower, practice this until you get it down.
The do the same pattern with your right but follow it with the left in 5ths, 3rds ect ect.

Start learning chords, Maj, Min, Dim, Aug.
Learn the basic triad shapes and work up to 7ths.
Play a the chord with your left hand and then arpeggiate it with your right an octave up.

Learn songs, but not just so you can play them, look at whats going one, what chords are they using, is it diatonic (within a scale).

This wont make you a fantastic player by any means but it will give you the grounding to become whatever kind of fantastic player you want to be.

...and obviously the most important thing for any musician to have is a METRONOME!
If you want good timing (and i'm assuming you do as any musician that can't purposely play in time sound wank).
When you practice scales use a metronome, when you practice chord changes use a metronome.
When your sat at the computer doing nothing but reading posts, use a metronome, tap along to the beat, tap the off beats, learn how to count triplets.

It seems like lots but this is all stuff that will instantly start helping if you practice correctly.

--------------------
God takes those closest to us, because it makes him feel better about himself. He is a very vengeful God. He's all pissed off about something we did thousands of years ago. He just can't get over it, so he doesn't care who he takes. Children, puppies, it don't matter to him, so long as it makes us sad.

Why does God give us anything?

Look at it this way: if you want to make a baby cry, first you give it a lollipop. Then you take it away. If you never give it a lollipop to begin with, it would have nothin' to cry about. That's like God, who gives us life and love and help just so that he can tear it all away and make us cry, so he can drink the sweet milk of our tears. You see, it's our tears, Stan, that give God his great power.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom