Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethe_0wl
The Space Bird
Male

Rye seed and peat/verm casing questions.
    #8731051 - 08/05/08 08:38 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

First off my rye jars are colonizing very quickly.  But I have questions.

1: How do I tell they are done..about 3 times now they've grown totally white and I shook em up..they lose the colonized look after that.  This takes about 18 hours.  How many times is this necessary or could they be case worthy already since the myc obviously grows very fast?

2:  The casing layer..Theres like a thousand totally different methods on this it seems.  I have peat moss, verm, garden lime, and gypsum.  Whats the easiest way to prepare this..can I just pressure cook it in canning jars? Microwave it? 

I think I got a pretty good handle on the rest of this tek..I've just been searching and couldnt nail any of these specifics down.  You know what would rock?  An instructional video on this like RR's stuff on the pf tek.

--------------------
Everything I say on this website and forum is completely false and fantasy role play.  In reality I do not engage in any illegal activities regardless of what my posts say.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethe_0wl
The Space Bird
Male

Re: Rye seed and peat/verm casing questions. [Re: the_0wl]
    #8731601 - 08/05/08 10:53 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

halp meh!

--------------------
Everything I say on this website and forum is completely false and fantasy role play.  In reality I do not engage in any illegal activities regardless of what my posts say.

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #8731660 - 08/05/08 11:10 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

You should shake your jars one time at approximately 20% colonization. That's it. Treat the mycelium like a living organism, kind of like a plant/animal. Not one, but not quite the other either. When you shake the spawn, it has to recover, (literally), and this takes energy. After the one shake wait until it appears that the spawn is 100% colonized. Once you are sure that the spawn is 100% colonized, wait 3-5 more days. (This is because we can not see into the center of the spawn container, (jar), and we really do want 100% colonization. Yours are probably done. If you shook them today, wait until Saturday, (poor mycelium).

Everyone has a different idea on what the casing layer should be. One thing that everyone seems to agree on is that the casing layer should contain 0 nutrients. None, zip, nada, zilch. I knew a dog and his name was Non-Nutritive!

Try looking here for all your casing questions: http://www.shroomery.org/20/Casing-Procedures

:goodluck:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

OfflineJuke Adro
I love peach fluff
 User Gallery

Loc: Inside your head
Re: Rye seed and peat/verm casing questions. [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #8731719 - 08/05/08 11:24 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

if they are fully colonised and you shake them they will not stay white the will look like the original un colonised grain which is normal and you just pour it like that into the tray :wink:

easy casing tek

I pasteurise my coir and verm the same as poo and straw like this or you can just slap it in the pillow case and then into a cooler and pour hot water 180f and leave it for 2 hours and wala its that easy

--------------------
Someone said:  im actually not using ms, im using prints.
Trade List

Offlinepontus
traveler
 User Gallery

#8732284 - 08/06/08 03:37 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

the_0wl said:

I think I got a pretty good handle on the rest of this tek..I've just been searching and couldnt nail any of these specifics down.  You know what would rock?  An instructional video on this like RR's stuff on the pf tek.

Have a look on RRs website:
www.mushroomvideos.com

There is a preview video about casing layer prep....

--------------------
"People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"
Bob Dylan

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix