Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Loc: Passing through the bulk Flag
DVD BULLSHIT
    #8721029 - 08/03/08 07:11 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, i back up my movies. I had a DVD burner, and for all hard copy's of movies i have, i back them up on my hard drive. Now I'm simply want to play them back in windows media player, like you can do with all other media, but it's telling me, once they're on my computer, that the DVD region is not correct. Which is wrong, because it'd either be a region 0 or the region I'm in, so what the hell?

Again, NO LAWS HAVE BEEN BROKEN, I'M SIMPLY TRYING TO PLAY BACK WHAT I HAVE ON MY COMPUTER THAT I LEGALLY BOUGHT AND BACKED UP. So please guys, help. Is there a codec i should get for media player, is it something i did when i originally burned them? (the only reason I'm putting the legal stuff up is because i don't want to get a bunch of bunk responses that "i can't help with illegal matters, against forum rules, blahblah. This is perfectly legal what I'm attempting to do.)

Because the really REALLY dumb thing is i can play them on both Divx and VLC, but the video looks terrible. All dark, lossy color, and no it's not because i ripped them: when I've tried to put them on another disk, it looks like it should.

So again, please help. Numerous of my disks have broke or gotten stretched beyond readability, and I'd really like to watch them again.

--------------------
Will all the big boomers please unveil, please unveil, please unveil.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetoastandjam
Tastes Grate, Lesh Philling
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: DVD BULLSHIT [Re: Hrethic]
    #8721039 - 08/03/08 07:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

www.dvdshrink.org/

You can rip to standard DVD formats and compress according to custom settings that will play back on your PC, and since they're DVD formats, you just use whatever you might watch DVDs with (powerDVD etc).

There are links on the site to guides which will allow you to burn to hardcopy DVD.

--------------------
Q: We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.
PICARD: When I realized the paradox...
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you...not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening. -Dogen Zenji

OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Re: DVD BULLSHIT [Re: toastandjam]
    #8721065 - 08/03/08 07:22 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, that's the program i have been using. And it does a good job, but it's just in Windows media player, when i try to run the video_ts files, it fails and says the region is wrong. But when i run in vlc, divx, and when i burn to hardcopy it's works fine.

--------------------

Offlinetoastandjam
Tastes Grate, Lesh Philling
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #8721087 - 08/03/08 07:27 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

How do I change my DVD region?

DVD movies are encoded for different world regions, and your DVD-ROM drive must be configured for the appropriate region in order to play the DVD.

If you have DVD-decoder software installed on your computer, you can usually change the DVD region setting in the DVD decoder program. Follow the instructions in the program's Help file for changing the DVD region setting.

If you have a software or a hardware DVD decoder installed on your computer, you can use Device Manager to change the DVD region setting in your DVD-ROM configuration:

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.

3. In the list of devices, double-click DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the DVD drive for which you want to change region settings, and then click Properties.

4. On the DVD Region tab, make the desired changes.

You must be logged on as an administrator or be a member of the Administrators group in order to change the DVD region.

Note that the DVD region for most DVD-ROMs can only be changed up to five times, and the number of changes still available is located on the DVD Region tab. If the tab shows that you can only change the setting one more time (Changes remaining = 1), you won't be able to play DVDs that use a DVD region that is different from your last selection. If you run out of opportunities to change the setting (Changes remaining = 0), contact your DVD-ROM's manufacturer to reset this value.

?

--------------------
Q: We wanted to see if you had the ability to expand your mind and your horizons... and for one brief moment, you did.
PICARD: When I realized the paradox...
Q: Exactly. For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you...not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

To carry yourself forward and experience myriad things is delusion. That myriad things come forth and experience themselves is awakening. -Dogen Zenji

OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Re: DVD BULLSHIT [Re: toastandjam]
    #8721193 - 08/03/08 07:59 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

nonono

Maybe i didn't make myself clear. The ripping is fine, they go on there and that's that. I can watch them fine if i make another DVD.

The problem is i'm trying to play them without burning a DVD. By playing the video_ts files that are the result of putting them onto your computer.

It does work fine when i use VLC and Divx. It plays them, but it looks very bad. The video is not good, bad color, and fuzzy. For both players it's bad.

Now the question... i try it in windows media player, and it says the region is wrong. The region is not wrong. I shouldn't have to change the region for any reason, i've never been to another region. How poopy, eh?

--------------------

Edited by Hrethic (08/03/08 08:05 PM)

Invisiblenorml840
sex toy guru
Male User Gallery

Loc: lost
    #8721234 - 08/03/08 08:08 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i back up all my movies as well.  the ones i rent from netflix.  hehe!!! :awesome:

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #8721243 - 08/03/08 08:09 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hrethic said:
Numerous of my disks have broke or gotten stretched beyond readability

How does one "stretch" a dvd....?    :what:

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Invisiblenorml840
sex toy guru
Male User Gallery

Loc: lost
Re: DVD BULLSHIT [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #8721428 - 08/03/08 08:43 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

with a dvd stretcher of course.  google it.

OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

Re: DVD BULLSHIT [Re: norml840]
    #8721477 - 08/03/08 08:57 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Scratched :tongue2:

--------------------

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

#8721482 - 08/03/08 08:57 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Is it the old train track method, like with flattening and stretching a penny....?

>^;;^<

--------------------

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

#8721490 - 08/03/08 08:58 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

heh....    :tongue:

>^;;^<

--------------------

>^;;^<

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

#8721857 - 08/03/08 10:24 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

norml840 said:
i back up all my movies as well.  the ones i rent from netflix.  hehe!!! :awesome:

In the two years I had a netflix subscription, I must have burned well over 150 DVD's. It's the only way to go!

As for the OP's question, just stop trying to use WMP. It sucks. It sucks BAD.

Get a program like PowerDVD. It's always worked pretty well for all of my dvd's, especially the burned ones.

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Offlinewatchoutnow
mind'sonrecord/itsbeingviewed
 User Gallery

Re: DVD BULLSHIT [Re: WakeboardrB]
    #8721896 - 08/03/08 10:40 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Get VLC media player.. Isn't that right or has that already been addressed?

--------------------
I quit. Touch it.
"My views ain't changed to live humane wait" -Eminem
"Ya'll make me too rounded and I'm addicted, WTF I'm drunk. Wtf I'm high. Wtf I'm... Not sober... Sober block." -me crazily self.
"From that what, knowledge of self - determination!" -Blackstar
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Ever since I got braces shit gets stuck in my teeth.
Make me *** bitch!

Offlinewatchoutnow
 User Gallery

Re: DVD BULLSHIT [Re: watchoutnow]
    #8721900 - 08/03/08 10:42 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

watchoutnow said:

Also I believe that I downloaded this program from a thread where the OP was complaining about programs that hog system resources i.e. Windows media player.... It's a great switch. Make the switch.

--------------------
I quit. Touch it.
"Ya'll make me too rounded and I'm addicted, WTF I'm drunk. Wtf I'm high. Wtf I'm... Not sober... Sober block." -me crazily self.
Make me *** bitch!

Offlinewatchoutnow
 User Gallery

#8721901 - 08/03/08 10:42 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hrethic said:
nonono

Maybe i didn't make myself clear. The ripping is fine, they go on there and that's that. I can watch them fine if i make another DVD.

The problem is i'm trying to play them without burning a DVD. By playing the video_ts files that are the result of putting them onto your computer.

It does work fine when i use VLC and Divx. It plays them, but it looks very bad. The video is not good, bad color, and fuzzy. For both players it's bad.

Now the question... i try it in windows media player, and it says the region is wrong. The region is not wrong. I shouldn't have to change the region for any reason, i've never been to another region. How poopy, eh?

Nevermind then...

EDIT: Weird some of my vids look pretty good when I use VLC with them.

--------------------
I quit. Touch it.
Make me *** bitch!

Edited by watchoutnow (08/03/08 10:45 PM)

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

Re: DVD BULLSHIT [Re: watchoutnow]
    #8721919 - 08/03/08 10:48 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

watchoutnow said:

VLC is fucking awesome. I put it on my 5 year old Powerbook when shit started getting choppy when I hooked it up to my 52" LCD.

VLC is about the best free media player I've ever seen. I was seriously impressed when I got it and I use it almost every day.

--------------------
Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

OfflineWakeboardrB
Pepe Silvia
Male

#8721924 - 08/03/08 10:50 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Oh and there shouldn't be a huge quality difference between media players. I've never noticed that before.

What percent quality are you reducing your DVD's to in DVD Shrink?

--------------------

OfflineHrethic
A Human, Being

#8735351 - 08/06/08 06:29 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, there's a huge difference. I have very good eyes, a pretty reasonable graphics card, and a damn fine TV, and i can completely tell. It's the color and resolution. There's not really a choppyness at all between Windows media and VLC/Divx. Just a faded, not as deep or vibrant color, and it's kinda fuzzy.

And i usually encode them at full, but sometimes it's 75% to save space. But even a full DVD not even burned, i've always noticed that VLC and Divx just don't look as good. I've almost gotten it to look the same by messing with my graphics settings, but then it throws everythint else off.

I think i'm definitely gonna get that Power DVD. So no one knows the exacts of why it would look different? It's different codecs right?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder