Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinej0nnyb0y05
IBelieveInBelivin
Male

Loc: Going Going, Back Back to
Argentine president calls for decriminalization of drug use
    #8714420 - 08/01/08 11:12 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/08/01/argentina.drugs/index.html

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (CNN) -- President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner repeated her call this week to decriminalize personal drug use and crack down on traffickers and dealers.

President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner says she doesn't like to "condemn someone who has an addiction."

1 of 2  "I don't like it when people easily condemn someone who has an addiction as if he were a criminal, as if he were a person who should be persecuted," she told a meeting of the National Investigation into the Consumption of Alcohol, Tobacco, Psychopharmaceuticals and Illegal Drugs.

"Those who should be persecuted are those who sell the substances, those who give it away, those who traffic in it."

A poll shows 2 percent of Argentines have tried cocaine, but some people believe decriminalization of drugs could result in wider drug use.

Regardless, the Argentine government is pushing Congress to pass the decriminalization legislation by the end of the year.

"Decriminalization of the consumer should include what are called second-generation human rights, but at the same time there should be a strong policy of prevention, so that no one falls in the situation of consuming any substance," said Anibal Fernandez, the minister of security and justice.

Ethan Nadelmann, founder and executive director of the New York-based Drug Policy Alliance, said such policies have been adopted throughout Europe and other parts of Latin America.

Don't Miss
Legislators aim to snuff out penalties for pot use
"The evidence generally shows that the decriminalization of possession is not clearly associated with any increase in illicit drug use," he said.

A few years ago, then-Mexican President Vicente Fox proposed decriminalizing possession of drugs combined with a crackdown on traffickers, but a harsh reaction from the Bush administration caused him to retreat, Nadelmann said.

Brazil and Colombia have passed laws decriminalizing drug use in an effort to combat the spread of HIV among injecting drug users, he said.

Politicians recognize that "you basically need to get those people out of the underground and into health systems," Nadelmann said.

"This would be part of a growing number of countries in Latin America where there is, either for political or judicial reasons, a push toward decriminalization of personal possession, sometimes combined with initiatives to crack down harder on bigger drug traffickers," he said.

"It typically involves both lessening the criminal sanction for possession of cannabis while also providing for alternatives to incarceration for people addicted to drugs who are arrested for drug possession or other minor offenses."

The concept has gained followers in the United States, too, he said, citing statistics that show two-thirds of Americans support drug treatment instead of jail time for first-time drug offenders.

On Wednesday, Rep. Barney Frank announced a proposal to end federal penalties for Americans carrying fewer than 100 grams, or almost a quarter-pound, of marijuana.

"The vast amount of human activity ought to be none of the government's business," Frank said on Capitol Hill. "I don't think it is the government's business to tell you how to spend your leisure time."

--------------------
.....Healing Of People Everywhere.....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMarioTrip
since84
Male

Loc: 69 w/ you
Re: Argentine president calls for decriminalization of drug use [Re: j0nnyb0y05]
    #8715194 - 08/02/08 07:28 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I have to say: some of the best ganji I've ever smoked was when I was in buenos aires! This is good news. It'd be awesome if we had a little Amsterdam in our hemisphere.

--------------------
I'm Livin' It, distribute it
The streets are inhibited
By cut throat niggas just like me
that out there getting dividends

OfflineCoaster
BaĘżal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Argentine president calls for decriminalization of drug use [Re: MarioTrip]
    #8715473 - 08/02/08 09:06 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Argentine gots brains

--------------------

InvisibleLedd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Innerspace Flag
Re: Argentine president calls for decriminalization of drug use [Re: Coaster]
    #8715506 - 08/02/08 09:23 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Barney Frank is the man.

--------------------
We mean nothing we do not mean to do.

Offlinedoulovebeef
Terminal Frost
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your closet
Re: Argentine president calls for decriminalization of drug use [Re: j0nnyb0y05]
    #8716442 - 08/02/08 02:01 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

could this be it? could this be the first baby steps for decriminalization?! i wonder if a Representative will be able to push this through..

Offlinedoom876
Stranger

Re: Argentine president calls for decriminalization of drug use [Re: doulovebeef]
    #8718459 - 08/03/08 01:04 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It's, in a way, sad that the big countries in Latin America is moving ahead of the US socially. Brazil, for example, is almost energy independent and gives free sex chainge oporations(not joking, people who are trapped in the wrong bodie should get those, we need them free here too).

By the way, it seems as though I have made quite a few posts and a few may come and think I posted too much. I have seen boards with "--- posts a day" rules, so sorry if it seems like I'm spamming. Just opinionated.

G'night, and these are some great boards, hope to make my stay here long.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds