Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleveggieM

Tobacco has a tough road ahead as FDA oversight nears
    #8710336 - 08/01/08 12:38 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Tobacco has a tough road ahead as FDA oversight nears
August 1, 2008 - Youngstown, OH Vindicator

These are not good days for tobacco, as demonstrated by developments on the national and local scenes.

In Washington, D.C., the U.S. House passed by an overwhelming margin a bill that would give the Food and Drug Administration the power to regulate tobacco products. Given that tobacco products are, after all, nothing more than vehicles for the delivery of an addicting drug — nicotine — it is remarkable that tobacco has been unregulated by the FDA for so long. It is a testament to the political power that the tobacco companies wielded during that time. Much of that power was purchased though millions of dollars of campaign contributions. Some of it was geographic, coming from areas of the country where, for generations, tobacco was king.

Over the years, the power of the tobacco companies waned. And over the years, tobacco companies realized that the golden leaf was loosing some of its luster and so began diversifying into areas that were less subject to government oversight — and less likely to kill people.

Next to the Senate

The House action was overdue. Now it is up to leaders in the Senate to follow suit. A similar bill passed the Senate in 2004, but stalled in the House. Senate leaders can’t allow the reverse to happen in 2008. President Bush has promised a veto. He should be given an opportunity to exercise it. The bill passed the House by a veto proof margin (326-102); we can only hope for a similar margin in the Senate.

The legislation will give the FDA wide ranging authority to study tobacco products, report on their dangers and regulate sales and marketing, especially to younger smokers and potential smokers.

Forty-six years after the first Surgeon General’s report warning of the health hazards of cigarette smoking and 20 years after Surgeon General C. Everett Koop reported that nicotine was as addictive as heroin, the FDA would finally be able to pursue regulation of tobacco products. The agency had attempted to assert such jurisdiction in 1996, but the Supreme Court ruled that the Clinton administration was overreaching it authority. It has taken 12 years to get legislation that address the court’s objections.

During each of those years, about 400,000 Americans died as a result of the tobacco products they had put in their mouths. And during all those years the FDA was powerless to regulate the fatal commerce of tobacco.

Closer to home, tobacco suffered a blow from Akron Children’s Hospital, which announced it will no longer hire persons who smoke cigarettes or use other tobacco products.

Thousands of other companies have adopted similar policies, both in the interest of having healthier workers and in the interest of cutting the company’s health insurance costs.

The policy will apply to Akron Children’s Youngstown operations as well.

It will be interesting to see if other health-care providers in this area follow Akron Children’s lead. It is appropriate for hospitals to be in the vanguard of the movement. Their success in improving the health of their employees and in saving money on health coverage for those employees will provide an example that others might want to emulate.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDudeyourgone
Gone...
Male User Gallery
Loc: California
Re: Tobacco has a tough road ahead as FDA oversight nears [Re: veggie]
    #8710356 - 08/01/08 12:44 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Good.

Offlinetripp23
Kratom Freak
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida, US
Re: Tobacco has a tough road ahead as FDA oversight nears [Re: Dudeyourgone]
    #8710401 - 08/01/08 12:59 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

im gonna flipp out when it all becomes illegal but good, its for the better!

--------------------
Experience my nightmarish first time of smoking Ganja!

OfflineYouthInAsia
Stranger

Re: Tobacco has a tough road ahead as FDA oversight nears [Re: tripp23]
    #8710479 - 08/01/08 01:22 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

As a smoker, tobacco needs tougher regulations.  I don't know what but the shits terrible.

--------------------
Go back to bed America.

InvisibleMonstroniuM
The Original Juggernaut
Male

Loc: Florida, USA Flag
    #8710481 - 08/01/08 01:22 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

I hope they make it expensive as shit because then I know I'd actually quit.

--------------------
The text and pictures posted by this user are entirely fictional. All posts are for entertainment purposes only and do not necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of this user.

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
Re: Tobacco has a tough road ahead as FDA oversight nears [Re: veggie]
    #8710504 - 08/01/08 01:27 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

President Bush has promised a veto.

I'm shocked.

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: Tobacco has a tough road ahead as FDA oversight nears [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #8710537 - 08/01/08 01:39 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

tobacco is not bad

the 700 something ingredients they add to them are

tobacco use is common in many places, including nicotiana rustica of the south americas, and the nicotiana tobaccum of the northern half.
traditional use of it has not been proven to cause cancer, and i dont think there has ever been a documented case of a traditional user having cancer at all :shrug:

infact only recently(past 10 years?) with the introduction of benson and hedges (most common on south pacific islands) cigarettes, has there been reports of cancer among smokers in the south pacifics.

grow your own organic tobacco and see for yourself, its a whole different plant when smoked plain, and a beautiful experience at that :smile:

OfflineChemy
Jesus is Lord

Loc: A Church
    #8710613 - 08/01/08 02:12 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

tripp23 said:

Because prohibition works! Noone would have access to tobacco if it were illegal, and there would be no black market for tobacco that would make violent criminals dirty rotten filthy stinking rich.

It would be so nice though for all those tobacco using anti-marijuana cops to know what it's like to be considered a criminal because they consume an illegal plant.:awesome:

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous

Get help, help is free and available 24/7/365.

God bless you all and I hope you receive the help you need to turn away from your lives of sin.

Mushrooms and drugs make you gay, you can reverse this homosexual condition with rehab, get help! Stop being gay!

Edited by Chemy (08/18/08 05:25 PM)

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Tobacco has a tough road ahead as FDA oversight nears [Re: Chemy]
    #8710669 - 08/01/08 02:56 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Chemy said:
Quote:

tripp23 said:

Because prohibition works! Noone would have access to tobacco if it were illegal, and there would be no black market for tobacco that would make violent criminals dirty rotten filthy stinking rich.

It would be so nice though for all those redneck tobacco using anti-marijuana cops to know what it's like to be considered a criminal because they consume an illegal plant.:awesome:

yep, this is fucking stupid.

prohibition is stupid

stopping people from doing personal activites is stupid.

Just shows the facism of the majority.  If it doesn't effect them, ban it. 

That's why we have drug laws... people like to create classes of people, and if they're not in that class, the class is bad.

Quote:

The legislation will give the FDA wide ranging authority to study tobacco products, report on their dangers and regulate sales and marketing, especially to younger smokers and potential smokers.

Great.

Screw the first amendment, we don't need that shit.

I totally would have smoked if I had a few more years of camel joe and company....

Lets ban meth coffee, weed beer, and cocaine beverage too.

I really think sugar-containing gum is bad too.  With xylose and nonnutritive sweetners there is no reason anyone should chew cavity-promoting gum anymore.  I hope the FDA bans that as well

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: Tobacco has a tough road ahead as FDA oversight nears [Re: johnm214]
    #8710736 - 08/01/08 03:33 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

lol i can imagine a new drug candy comin out to battle all those substance products like meth coffee..

with a slogan like:

LSD poprocks, hear your brain cells bursting with every colorful mouthful!

:lol:

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Tobacco has a tough road ahead as FDA oversight nears [Re: CptnGarden]
    #8711063 - 08/01/08 07:59 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Hey, when the prohibit tobacco, then they can do it to alcohol "for our safety."

And no one will ever drink again.

--------------------

InvisibleTTT
Cultivate the inside
 User Gallery

Re: Tobacco has a tough road ahead as FDA oversight nears [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #8711401 - 08/01/08 10:16 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Wow. Tobacco is shitty, but as a smoker Ill be SO fucking pissed if they fucking ban tobacco. Jesus fucking christ.

OfflineMarioTrip
since84
Male

Loc: 69 w/ you
Re: Tobacco has a tough road ahead as FDA oversight nears [Re: TTT]
    #8711419 - 08/01/08 10:21 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Awesome!

As soon as they ban MENTHOL and other FLAVORED cigs do you know what kind of black market this will create?!

I'm going to stock up on cartons of KOOL and NEWPORT and CLOVES so that when the day comes I'll be throwing packs at people 3x the cost I paid.

--------------------
I'm Livin' It, distribute it
The streets are inhibited
By cut throat niggas just like me
that out there getting dividends

InvisibleComputerTekGuy
Teh Awesome
Male User Gallery

Re: Tobacco has a tough road ahead as FDA oversight nears [Re: MarioTrip]
    #8711533 - 08/01/08 10:56 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

This would be bullshit, not like the FDA really does anything for our safety anyways. Fuck them, and fuck that

OfflineNobodyImportant
Stranger
Male

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Tobacco has a tough road ahead as FDA oversight nears [Re: ComputerTekGuy]
    #8711772 - 08/01/08 11:50 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

why cant someone just fucking bomb their headquarters

I know its not the most effective thing to do but if we could kill off some of those ignorant, power hungry fuckers maybe we could have a little progress :crankey:

Offlinelil_demented
Loner will lone
Male User Gallery
Re: Tobacco has a tough road ahead as FDA oversight nears [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #8712277 - 08/01/08 01:33 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Ya know, I smoked for 10+ years before I got fed up with giving my money away so I could cough all the time.

I hope they get rid of that nasty shit, I don't care how cranky you smokers get without your little pacifier, boo-fucking-hoo!

Don't you realize that if tobacco is there, your kids may start smoking, and their kids, and their kid's kids...

OfflineMarioTrip
since84
Male

Re: Tobacco has a tough road ahead as FDA oversight nears [Re: lil_demented]
    #8712418 - 08/01/08 01:52 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

lil_demented said:
Ya know, I smoked for 10+ years before I got fed up with giving my money away so I could cough all the time.

I hope they get rid of that nasty shit, I don't care how cranky you smokers get without your little pacifier, boo-fucking-hoo!

Don't you realize that if tobacco is there, your kids may start smoking, and their kids, and their kid's kids...

why are you on a drug forum??

It can't work both ways. I'm sure you're pro legalizing pot and mushrooms.....

double standards

--------------------

OfflineMarioTrip
since84
Male

#8712421 - 08/01/08 01:52 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Informed adults should have the right to choose what they want into their bodies

--------------------

Offlinemaffew
Superman

#8712496 - 08/01/08 02:08 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

We are american citizens and our consumption of tobacco (along with anything else) does not directly infringe upon anyone's life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness. The govt's theory is that they are "protecting us from ourselves" because some of these substances are addicting and/or harmful to your body (although some are not, but are illegal anyways). The concept that america was founded upon is that people have the ability to make decisions for themselves, this is what real democracy is. Communism, on the other hand, is when a governing body makes decisions and forces them upon the people. We say that we have a democracy in the U.S., but really what we have is a communist nation. We don't even have any control with our voting anymore (as the 2000 elections with Bush and Gore proved). The first penny had the motto, "Mind your own business." on the back, and this is a motto that I think we should still take to heart and live by if we want to have a true democracy and have true freedom. Our govt. is a silent oppressor: they do not beat us down with clubs and guns (well, sometimes they do...) but rather with laws and regulations and miles of red tape. Its similar to the concept of interbreeding to conquer. Some conquerors will go to war with surrounding nations and try to gain as much land as possible. Others, however, will make peace with a civilization, breed with their women and teach their new children their ways in order to spread their influence.

By the way, I am a smoker of about 4 years now and I have no plans on quitting. I know that they're bad for me, and I knew when I first started that they were bad for me... I don't care! I thoroughly enjoy cigarettes and thats that. And as for addiction, I've never been addicted to smoking. I can smoke 1-2 packs a day for a year straight and then stop for however long I want. I've done it before... its really not hard. The whole addiction thing, in my opinion (remember this is my opinion) is really overhyped.

--------------------
"You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it."
-X

Invisibledanknugz81
spiralingdownward
Male

Re: Tobacco has a tough road ahead as FDA oversight nears [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #8712523 - 08/01/08 02:13 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

OneMoreRobot3021 said:
Quote:

President Bush has promised a veto.

I'm shocked.

this administration has literally done nothing positive for the people of this country for almost 8 years... why start now.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder