Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBlack_Dog
Stranger
Male

Tips on bulk substrate growing
    #8701689 - 07/30/08 11:18 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I am switching from jars to the filter bags from mycosupply.com.  can someone tell me what i will need besides the bags themselves?  i know i need an impulse sealer to close the bags.  anything else i need?  can BRF still be used for the substrate or should i switch to something else?

--------------------
"Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only real cure is to load up on heinous chemicals..."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Tips on bulk substrate growing [Re: Black_Dog]
    #8701735 - 07/30/08 11:29 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

You dont need an impulse sealer you can use some large wire twist ties.

PF material makes a fine substrate for spawn bags too. I have switched to using a custom PF style mix for my bulk spawn from grains like WBS. It is much quicker to prepare, less guess work, less pc time, and works just fine for spawn IN BAGS.

My current custom mix:
5.5 Parts Coarse Verm
2.25 part coarse ground white rice (yeah yeah no potency whatever this is just spawn for poop get over it)
2.25 parts lake water
1 Part play sand
10 tbsp bee pollen
10 tbsp finely shredded coconut
10 tbsp flax seeds
10 tsp nutritional yeast

The "part" is a plastic tea pitcher, i think its 2 liters in size approx. It's not entirely critical at all, just the ratios.

This mix is still in R&D right now though we are working on a good sand ratio. It aids in the cake breaking up easier.

This is inended for LC inoculation for spawning to poo.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

Edited by sandman420 (07/30/08 11:30 AM)

OfflinePrimalTwilight
Stranger
    #8701738 - 07/30/08 11:30 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

If your going for bulk you should look into wild bird seed or the BRF would work fine too as spawn to horse poo or coir.

OfflineBlack_Dog
Stranger
Male

Re: Tips on bulk substrate growing [Re: PrimalTwilight]
    #8701747 - 07/30/08 11:33 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

so where does the horse and cow poo come in?  you inoculate the bags, then after they are colonized, just pour it into a pan or something?  is the poo a nutritious layer or just casing?

--------------------
"Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only real cure is to load up on heinous chemicals..."

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #8701769 - 07/30/08 11:38 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

yes after the spawn bags are fully colonized you then break it up and mix it with your bulk sub (straight hpoo works well) that has been separately pasteurized and cooled. You can mix it up in dub tubs or trays or whatever you wish. Check out my sandbag tek on mycotopia. for some general ideas.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

OfflineBlack_Dog
Stranger
Male

Re: Tips on bulk substrate growing [Re: sandman420]
    #8701803 - 07/30/08 11:47 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

ok i see.  so basically you're taking substrate from the bags, mixing it with poo to make even more substrate, and then you put it in pans or whatever and case it?  will a verm/peat/lime/gypsum/oyster shell casing be ok with bulk subs?

--------------------

OfflineNo_Life_G33k
Now with 10%less noobness
 User Gallery

#8701853 - 07/30/08 11:57 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Rye is the best garin for spawn,,,WBS is used because it's cheap. Rye is more uniform and consistant.

Get some 'RTV' gasket material -from an auto supply store- in a tube to make injection ports. Use a layer of mailing tape over the blob to hold it in place- self healing injection ports rock.

--------------------
Hot Water Pasteuriztion - A How To Pictorial
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4527808/an/0/page/0

Make your own shroom chocolates
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4500682/an/0/page/5

guide with pix.

Make Your Own Magnetic Stirrer! How-To Tek w/ pix
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5865949/an/0/page/3

OfflineBlack_Dog
Stranger
Male

Re: Tips on bulk substrate growing [Re: No_Life_G33k]
    #8701864 - 07/30/08 12:00 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

so i would use rye grain in the bags (instead of BRF), and then mix with horse poo after the bags colonize?  also, does WBS mean wild bird seed?  so i should squirt some RTV on the bags, and then cover the blobs with packing tape, and then inject through the tape?

--------------------

OfflineNo_Life_G33k
Now with 10%less noobness
 User Gallery

#8702884 - 07/30/08 03:18 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Black_Dog said:
so i would use rye grain in the bags (instead of BRF), and then mix with horse poo after the bags colonize?  also, does WBS mean wild bird seed?  so i should squirt some RTV on the bags, and then cover the blobs with packing tape, and then inject through the tape?

bags are usually used to spawn- then you use that spawn to inoculate a bulk substrate like straw or poo.

You can also grow inside the bags - like a mini terrarium- but I wasn't impressed with the yield.

So you'd make a LC, or use a spore syringe, and then inject 2-4 big bags of spawn, then use that spawn to inoculate 4 big tubs of straw or poo.

--------------------
Hot Water Pasteuriztion - A How To Pictorial
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4527808/an/0/page/0

Make your own shroom chocolates
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4500682/an/0/page/5

guide with pix.

Make Your Own Magnetic Stirrer! How-To Tek w/ pix
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5865949/an/0/page/3

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck