Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDiscoveredShelf
Vermiculite, Fine?
    #870109 - 09/08/02 10:56 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I am close to embarking on a new hobby and friendship.
There is one thing I thought I should run by some more experienced cultivators.
This time of year, home and garden stores are starting to stop ordering vermiculite, the ones that do still carry it do not offer a choice of what grade fineness. All they have is a regular, very coarse brand. I understand the finer the better, can you run coarse vermiculite through a coffee grinder? Although it would be alot of work putting all that vermiculite through a coffee grinder, it would be well worth it for my new friends.
It would also be a great help if someone could reccomend a brand name that sells fine grade vermiculite so perhaps I could have a store order it for me.
I appreciate the patience

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTM
The Mind, The Many, The Music.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Under The Table And Dream...
Re: Vermiculite, Fine? [Re: DiscoveredShelf] * 1
    #870164 - 09/08/02 11:32 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

I understand the finer the better

Where did you hear this???? The fine stuff SUCKS!! You want medium or course verm for all uses.

--------------------
================================================

"Have some congratulatory drugs." - C. Montgomery Burns

I'll probably always do drugs, so that just contributes to the addiction to The Shroomery... It's a vicious circle of bliss. :tongue2:

TMâ„¢ :cool:

Edited by TripMeister (09/08/02 11:33 AM)

Anonymous

Re: Vermiculite, Fine? [Re: DiscoveredShelf]
    #870169 - 09/08/02 11:37 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Hell yeah fine vermiculite fuckin colonizes slow but thats the only down side to me..if you got time, its no biggy

OfflineDiscoveredShelf
Re: Vermiculite, Fine? [Re: TM]
    #870173 - 09/08/02 11:41 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

My information came from a substrate formula from Fanaticus.com
"The finer type of vermiculite is recommended over the coarser type because it holds more water. To ascertain the size of the vermiculite particles, observe them under a photo magnifier next to a millimeter ruler. The finer type of vermiculite has particles averaging around 1 millimeter across (some larger and some smaller). The coarser type has particles averaging around 4 or 5 millimeters across and up to 8 millimeters. Stores usually carry one type. Plus, there will be regional differences in the different brands of vermiculite. Shop around and try to get both types to compare. "
http://www.fanaticus.com/sub-prep.htm

Perhaps I'm looking into the wrong substrate?

Offlinetps
ganja ghanstah
 User Gallery

Re: Vermiculite, Fine? [Re: DiscoveredShelf]
    #870177 - 09/08/02 11:42 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i use fine, and its fine. :smile:

--------------------

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: DiscoveredShelf]
    #870235 - 09/08/02 05:21 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineDexTek
Aquatic Mammal
Loc: The State of Siege
Re: Vermiculite, Fine? [Re: dog]
    #870353 - 09/08/02 06:35 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i'm going to have to agree with dog fine verm would work pretty well for a contam barrier but using it in the substrate would seem to hinder the growth of mycelium seeing as the more room inbetween grains of verm there is within reason it should be easier to spread all i've used is course verm and it's worked really well

--------------------
"Those who are saved from their own greed shall surely be prosperous" . (Surah al-Hashr, 59:9)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order