Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelizardking
journeyman
Loc: Uk, India, USA... Im ever...
canning jars in uk
    #869820 - 09/08/02 02:57 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

hi people
this pertains to people growing in the uk..
does anyone know where i can get canning jars from? or does anyone have a nice substitute i can use?
i live in london so decent hardware stores are hard to come by (pun unintended)...
id be grateful for any help on this...
thanks
peace and love
lk
ps- any one know any european shippers of spore syringers out there? fsre sounds good but id like to go for a pre-prepared syringe my first time around!

--------------------
The future is uncertain
And the end is always near.
James Douglas Morrison.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLordPeter
Re: canning jars in uk [Re: lizardking]
    #869849 - 09/08/02 03:11 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Theres only one type of jar I have ever found that dont go in at the top and are wide mouthed.. (and believe me - i have checked many supermarkets!) it is:

"Bonne Maman" Jam - look for it in bigger supermarkets, it looks quite amature design, its "fresh" jam. I think they are about ?1.15 a jar.

Alternatively, you could just use normal glasses, but attach two layers of foil over the top

If you find anywhere selling 1/2 pint wide mouthed jars, please be so kind to let me know  :wink:

Edited by LordPeter (09/08/02 03:19 AM)

OfflineLordPeter
    #869868 - 09/08/02 03:21 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

PS I got my spores from www.mushmush.nl - they are based in the Netherlands, they are reasonably priced (free spore if you order 3) and they came within about a week of me ordering and I had no problems growing my shrooms :smile: 

Offlinelizardking
journeyman
Re: canning jars in uk [Re: LordPeter]
    #870023 - 09/08/02 10:01 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

hey man
thanks for the quick reply
ill be sure to look for the jam jars... but will mean emptying jars of all the jam huh....
and if i do come across anything else, i will let you know :smile: :cool:

as for using glasses: yeah i read about the tinfoil elsewhere as well but hoping u can help me on this.
if the glass doesnt have a lid and just has multiple layers of foil, wont that still leave an entry point for contaminants to get in?  :confused:

thanks once again man

peace
lk 
[edit:ps - been looking around on mushmush and they do have decent prices. i like the order 3 get one free syringe. thanks for the link man!]

--------------------
The future is uncertain
James Douglas Morrison.

Edited by lizardking (09/08/02 10:04 AM)

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #871167 - 09/09/02 03:11 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i found 3 brands of wide mouth jam jars all the same jar. i found empty jars the exact same being sold for jam making but it was actually cheaper to buy the jam and throw it out!

Offlinelizardking
journeyman
Re: canning jars in uk [Re: blackout]
    #871255 - 09/09/02 06:04 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

LOL blackout
yeah funny how the consumer gets ripped off... :ooo:
well anyways i guess ill have to find a suitable jar in tescos/safeway
assuming i can get brf in a health store or even a supermarket
shud be all good :smirk:
thanks guys
peace and love
lk 

--------------------
The future is uncertain
James Douglas Morrison.

OfflineErbaliza
Believer
Loc: UK...London(ish)
    #871300 - 09/09/02 07:20 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

I have been using the Bonne Manan jam jars(?1.19 in Sainsburys)They work perfect...Someone said that Habitat sells the same kind of jars for 50p,although they are a touch smaller.If anyones been to Habitat let us know....
      I tried a plastic Tupperware style container in the pc but it melted :tongue: It was a cheap container,i wanna try a proper microwaveable container to see what happens....
      I got my first print from FSRE(thanks Eric),I got my syringes from mushmush as well...At the mo' ive got the fridge full of GT and Mexican mycelium/honey water(i made way too many jars  :smile:  Just need a lot more CHEAP jars....Peace 

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
    #871552 - 09/09/02 10:09 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Do they have Ziplock disposable containers in the U.K.?
They work great!..No meltdown even thou they're plastic. :smile: :smile:

Invisiblematts
matts

[Re: Pinhead]
    #871560 - 09/09/02 10:12 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
Re: canning jars in uk [Re: matts]
    #871584 - 09/09/02 10:23 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Pictured are the 1 3/4 cup size which is a bit large,I use the 1 cup size.After 3-4 uses,the cover has to be taped on. New ones with tight fitting lids would probaly even work for agar. These DO NOT MELT in the pressure cooker,but after a few uses,the lid loosens up a bit.
Anno uses the pickle/mayo jars for spawn,not cakes (as far as I know). These Ziplocks work great for cakes.

Edited by Pinhead (09/09/02 10:29 AM)

OfflineErbaliza
Believer
Loc: UK...London(ish)
Re: canning jars in uk [Re: Pinhead]
    #871697 - 09/09/02 10:59 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

No Ziplock jars over here  :frown:  They dont really sell caning/mason jars either  as no one over here preserves their own stuff...
  I have seen a place that sells autoclavable straight sided pvc containers(for laboratory use)...I have mailed them to get a couple of samples and will give them a test in the pc.If they work out ok i'll let post up the results....Peace 

OfflinePurple_Voyage
Mind Explorer

Loc: UK
    #871769 - 09/09/02 06:24 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

They also sell the same jars in Asda. The jam is called "Continental" and I think it's slightly cheaper than Sainsburys.

--------------------

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: canning jars in uk [Re: Pinhead]
    #872162 - 09/09/02 09:31 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

In reply to:

These DO NOT MELT in the pressure cooker,but after a few uses,the lid loosens up a bit.

The bottoms are made of polypropelene which is safe for autoclave use. The lids are not and will deform under high heat.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: canning jars in uk [Re: Erbaliza]
    #880938 - 09/12/02 04:54 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

"They dont really sell caning/mason jars either as no one over here preserves their own stuff..."
same where i am. however i did get large 3 litre jars in a turkish shop selling pickled tomatoes in them. i got a 5 litre jar of pickles too. i am still eating the bastards and dont want to toss them out even though i cant wait to use the jar! try a cash and carry which will have large jars of tomato sauce etc for catering companies or go to a local restuarant and offer to buy their empty jars, tell them youll be back in a few weeks

OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

Re: canning jars in uk [Re: Erbaliza]
    #880945 - 09/12/02 05:11 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i'll be crusing by tottenham court road tomorrow and i'll check heals/habitat for any canning jars...

but yeah it is pretty difficult to find any type of unused jars. when i was growing, i just brought back with me a box of half pints from America...

but if your friend is right and they have some jars around tottenham court road for .50p then i'll surely update you guys :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale