Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshrums
Stranger
combating mold
    #8691773 - 07/28/08 10:05 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

ive been unsuccesfully trying to fruit mycelium for a few monthes now. seems i have a cobweb and trich problem. this next try im gonna be as clean as possible. my question is, i feel i have cobweb and mold spores in my house, i have a very damp, very old basement below me, and so i want to try and clear my room of mold spores. what can i do besides cleaning it very well and spraying lots of lysol? what can i do in the basement to maybe prevent more mold spores from entering upstairs?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepazzy
Always Hardcore

Re: combating mold [Re: shrums]
    #8693253 - 07/28/08 05:12 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

It would be easier to create a glove box instead of creating a sterile room.

--------------------
Are you happy for a miracle?

:yinyang2:

Absolutely no source checks/discussions.

Offlineshrums
Stranger
Re: combating mold [Re: pazzy]
    #8698137 - 07/29/08 03:33 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i should have clarified, i don't have mold problems from sterilization to inoculation, it's once i get them in the chambers i'm worried about. what can I do to protect them once they get to that point, with a moldy basement?

my idea thus far is to thuroughly clean the upstairs and the downstairs, spray liberally with lysol constantly, get a dehumidifier for the basement, get any fabric out of hte basement, mothball the house and the heating duct, and use a lysol sprayed towell in my hepa-filtration hub for my FAE... what else could i do?

Offlinekleaver
myco-clown

#8698402 - 07/29/08 04:33 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

first of all. dont overdo the lysol. it can burn your lung tissue if dont to heavily, plus most people do it more than necessary.  once you get into the FC, the mycelium is extremely resilient to contamination, you're problems will be water pooling on the cakes and not evaporating, and also if a cake is not fully colonized.  i'm writing this as if you're doing cakes, but it's pretty much the same for both, the colonized cake you crumble to spawn to the bulk sub will be about as resilient to contam as a fully colonized cake will be.

but anyways, sterility from that point on, assuming your cake/casing is as colonized and as "un-water-pooling-on-top-inviting-contam"-ized as everyone else's, your next step against yoru moldy basement is the type of FC you use adn where you keep it. you dont need to dunk everythign in yoru room in bleach. but rather you should keep yoru FC raised off the floor if possible. every bit helps, if you can even only get it up 4 inches.  the floor is most contaminated, and if your basement is source of mold spores, then they may be getting in yoru room through baseboards and moulding (spelling).  so you'll want cakes away from those sources... air vents too.

finally, you'll wanna jsut wash your hands with antibacterial, or, as i do, rub purell or something on them, let it dry all the way first so you dont burn a hole in your myc (haha) and then open yoru FC and do necessary adjustments and upkeep.

looks like you're going to run a HEPA into your FC for FAE.  try to wash all of the components first, with soap or whatever, then when you put together, cover the intake filter with tyvek or something, but dont stick a towel with lysol in there. that just introduces a new variable that may be more problematic than it seems, lysol or not.

tyvek really is a great think to cover intakes with, so you dont suck up any spores or contam.  if not, keeping the filter raised or in an open rubbermaid container or something has been done to allow the air to enter filter, but to keep it shielded on 5/6 sides from floating contam

hope at least one thing i said makes sense and helps. lol.  was your previous problem with contam during the fruiting stage??  if so you may want to revise yoru FC setup, or fan more often, fannign for like 30secs or so... a minute... incites evaporation, thus alleviating the problem of pooling water breeding contamination.

--------------------
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
-Albert Einstein

Offlineshrums
Stranger
Re: combating mold [Re: kleaver]
    #8699952 - 07/29/08 10:50 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

first of all, thank you so much for your response. that was the response i was hoping for.

I've been having problems with the incubation-inoculation stage untill recently, i've noticed cultivating any pc's seems to require a good deal of experience, and now i've got the incubation period down. Reading your response has shed some light on the problems i'm facing now with FC, and so i think I now know what needs to be changed. thanks for the advice on the height for my fc's, they are actually about 1 inch off the ground, i think that might be a prime contributor. i never thought of thinking of mold spores like that, it makes sense that they would settle into the carpet and get thrown into the air by impacts, and then resting back down, which is exactly why the height would help.

Well, I have another one for you, it is about 2 feet away (and blocked by a wall) from a airconditioner, could an airconditioner be a harbringer of mold? it sort of makes sense to me, being it sucks the humidity out of the air and pools it untill it naturaly drains off... could this cause mold and then blow mold spores into the room further?

My new FC setup will be close to the ceiling, i can do it easily and thought of it before, think that is a optimal place for it to be in this case?

again thanks

Edited by shrums (07/29/08 10:51 PM)

Offlinepazzy
Always Hardcore

#8700041 - 07/29/08 11:10 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

Try to keep your fruiting chamber 3 feet off of the ground. Colonized substrates are rather contaminant resistant though, and fruiting chambers usually aren't very sterile to begin with.

Are you using casings or cakes. Where do the contaminants appear? I have a feeling your mold problems are not being introduced from the spores in your basement but more details would help me help you.

--------------------

OfflineHauptperson69
Stranger

#8701419 - 07/30/08 09:52 AM (15 years, 7 months ago)

i have never been able to remov a mold i think all these ways to remove them are false

Offlinepazzy
Always Hardcore

Re: combating mold [Re: Hauptperson69]
    #8703027 - 07/30/08 03:55 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

We aren't helping him remove molds we are trying to help him prevent mold contaminations.

Shrums your grows really shouldn't be getting contaminated, if they are birthed fully colonized, until at least after the second flush.

--------------------

Offlinekleaver
myco-clown

#8708185 - 07/31/08 03:54 PM (15 years, 7 months ago)

my FC is right next to an AC unit. not in window but a stand up unit with a hose that goes to the window.  my FC is actually a rubbermaid shotgun tek inside of a bigger rubbermaid. it's propped up inside the bigger tub so that the holes on the bottom can drop otu CO2, as and let the FAE work the way the shotgun tek is designed for.  my idea behind this is to shield out accidental sunlight, unless im using direct sunlight for pining stimulation... i like to control most factors if i can, so the opaque rubbermaid tub shields it from accidental light, floating contams.....

bla bla bla....

other than that, it's not actually very sterile at all.  my perlite was bought and had dirt in it. i rinsed, but there are still some random woodchip materials in the perlite and such.  i also have handled myc with bare hands before... even without washing first by accident... with no problems... myc is very resistant to contam.  a lot of times there is a problem before it even hits the FC.

as to your idea abotu FC on the ceiling, idk how you'd get it up there or why you'd want it there, but easiest place is about table height. counter height. dresser height. bla bla bla

it's convenient and relatively isolated from floor contam.  worst case scenario is uncolonized parts of casing/cake... and pooling water on your myc... and it being close to the floor. HAHA

so just try to take care of each of those... and make sure you're not contaminated when you birth. if you put in a contam mycelium colony... then it's not the FC's fault

goodluck

--------------------
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
-Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds