Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewoodlover
Stranger
nutritional value of rye grain vs hay
    #8676257 - 07/24/08 12:49 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Which of this two ingredients have better nutrition value, hay or rye?
And for which stage of cultivation they are prefered.
For example is hay is good as a spawn (hay inoculated with spores), and is rye may be substituted with hay without loss of nutritions?
I mean same volumes, periods and passing over the structure and easiness of handling.
I heard that hay is less contam prone than rye, so it should contain less nutritions, but is that true? I read also that hay contain two times less proteins than rye, so its amount should be twice bigger than rye to provide same nutritional level, but it was on a site with horse feeding, and how it look for mushrooms, do they need proteins, or just simple sugars, cellulose and nitrogen?
Do you know some list or a chart with nutritions presence in each of this product?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline608Bill
Always hoping for the +4.
Male

Loc: Western MA.
Re: nutritional value of rye grain vs hay [Re: woodlover]
    #8676323 - 07/24/08 01:13 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I think the rye is more nutritional, but the hay gives better results because its easier for the mushroom to digest,hence better fruitings.
If you get the hay locally, try to buy what they call "1st cutting hay" its literally the 1st batch they cut and harvest at end of spring/beginning of summer and has the highest nutritional value for the year,also slightly higher price.

--------------------
"It's like an untamed wilditude of nature erupting in your brainspace."
E. Cuyler

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
Re: nutritional value of rye grain vs hay [Re: 608Bill]
    #8676477 - 07/24/08 02:00 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Do people use hay? I thought they mostly used straw?

OfflinePowerOfTheCoir
Newbie Sympathizer
Male User Gallery

Re: nutritional value of rye grain vs hay [Re: Mad River]
    #8677061 - 07/24/08 04:33 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quick terminology clarification:

Spawn - Material that is initially colonized and then broken up and mixed with a bulk substrate. It can also be used by itself. Cakes and grains (like rye) are the most common spawns used here.

Bulk Substrate - A nutritious material that colonized spawn is mixed with to create a much larger substrate than would be possible with the available spawn alone. The bulk substrate also creates a water reservoir which will greatly improve yields. Straw, manures, composts, and coco coir are the most common bulk substrates. Dozens of other materials are also often used and mixing several materials and other supplemental additives is also commonplace.

Example - "I took a jar of sterilized rye grain and injected it with spores. Once it fully colonized, I mixed these grains with pasteurized coco coir. I made this mixture in a small kitty litter tray, covered it with foil, poked a few holes, and waited until it completely colonized."
The spawn here is the rye grain and the bulk substrate is the coco coir.

Rye grains are excellent spawn material and are more nutritious than hay, straw, or any common bulk substrate (including manures). However, they do a lousy job holding moisture and are prone to contamination if hydrated byut not yet colonized. For those reasons, they are never used as bulk substrates. They are commonly used as spawn and then added to bulk substrates.

Hay is rarely used for anything. It often contains some seeds which are frequent sources of contamination. With that said, some people have used hay successfully, although it should be considered risky and experimental. Don't do it when you're new since using a PROVEN technique lets you know that problems are caused by your mistakes and you'll know where you can improve. With an experimental/risky technique, you can fail and not have any clue what went wrong. You'll also be likely to lose your motivation if you make several fruitless attempts before having some sort of a reward.

What you want is STRAW, and straw is a common bulk substrate, but is never used as spawn. Look in this site's articles section, specifically the bulk substrates section, for all the straw info you need. Then wear out the search function for a few days. If you want to get into growing, thorough research will be a necessity.

And don't get hung up on nutritional values. Mushrooms digest food totally differently from plants and animals. Nutritional values you find for livestock feed or gardening supplies will be for a whole different kingdom of organisms and give you little useful mushroom info. They will probably just give you a whole lot of confusing and irrelevant information.

--------------------
Check out my first ever TEK!
Shroom capsules with the Cap-M-Quik (pics)

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
Re: nutritional value of rye grain vs hay [Re: PowerOfTheCoir]
    #8677136 - 07/24/08 05:01 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Dude, you kill me. :rofl2:

I think the issue here may be one of both noobery and language. Do I detect an accent there, woodlover? :peace:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate