Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesomestupidnewbie
Stranger
 User Gallery

Shelf fungus on my mom's apple tree? (pics) (resolved)
    #8673715 - 07/23/08 09:07 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Habitat:
This fungi was found growing out of my mothers apple tree. She is concerned that it will spread out to other trees in the yard, and worried that it may poison her doggies.

Gills:
white/cream

Stem:
No real stem to speak of, the caps grow directly out of the wood. (see picture)

Cap:
flat semicircles growing directly out of the wood, anywhere from 2 inches in diameter up to around 8 inches in diameter (see picture)

Spore print color:
Very important!  Unfortunately my mother was not able to collect a spore print from the mushroom, and the day I came to visit, my dad had chopped the visible fruit bodies off the stump.

Bruising:
It stains a light brown that turns to a darker caramel color after a few minutes.

Other information:
When this first showed up a couple of years ago, my mom thought it was really kind of pretty, and took some pictures of it. Since then, it had completely taken over the tree, and my parents think that it caused the tree to die.  They recently chopped the tree down, and now this shit is growing on the stump, right where it is easy for the dogs to get at.  They have tried different types of fungicide, including bleach.  I told them they should try to drill down through the stump and put the fungicide in the hole.  We are hoping to get at least an identification (Ive tried web searches) and hopefully someone who is not a stupid newbie will be able to help us kill this.

Pictures:

--------------------

Edited by somestupidnewbie (07/27/08 03:19 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePaulrus
Man Simplified
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: What killed my mom's apple tree? (pics) [Re: somestupidnewbie]
    #8673737 - 07/23/08 09:13 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Settle down with the "stupid newbie" talk, you'll get an ID. Your pics didn't work.

Edited by Paulrus (07/23/08 09:14 PM)

Offlinesomestupidnewbie
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: What killed my mom's apple tree? (pics) [Re: Paulrus]
    #8673748 - 07/23/08 09:16 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'm the stupid newbie.  check the username.  It's a joke. get it? that's where you're supposed to laugh at me.

--------------------

OfflinePaulrus
Man Simplified
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #8673757 - 07/23/08 09:18 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

lol, ya, just saw that.

Looks to be a conk type mushroom, I'm not experienced with them enough to pin it down to species, but I'm pretty sure they aren't poisonous. If your dogs do eat them, they will probably just do it once then learn that they don't taste good and aren't worth eating. As for it killing your tree, it is possible, I don't think they usually grow on healthy living trees, so that is strange.

Edited by Paulrus (07/23/08 09:24 PM)

Invisible200proofhonky
bluethumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Timbucktoo
    #8673767 - 07/23/08 09:21 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

one word....roundup...actually,that may be two words but the product name is one word...anyways,you know what i mean.I had a shitload of pan subbs growing in my garden and i eventually had to get rid of some weeds,so i used roundup and now everywhere i sprayed it...all my precious subbs have quit growing.They are still growing elsewhere in the garden but not where i sprayed that shit.The guy that gave it to me warned me that it would kill everything i sprayed it on,and i guess he was right....now that theyve chopped the tree down im assuming it dosent matter,so spray the shit out of the stump with it and youll be good to go.

--------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They try to take away everything God gave us,yet...
our money still says "In God We Trust".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You take a mortal man and put him in control,
Watch him become a God,watch peoples heads a'roll.
If you kill a man then your a murderer,kill many an your a conqueror, kill them all and your a God.

Offlinesomestupidnewbie
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: What killed my mom's apple tree? (pics) [Re: Paulrus]
    #8673838 - 07/23/08 09:38 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Awesome, thanks mate.  I'll pass that info along.  I'll also refine my searches a bit and see if I can find out some more about conk mushrooms.

--------------------

Offlinesomestupidnewbie
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: What killed my mom's apple tree? (pics) [Re: 200proofhonky]
    #8673856 - 07/23/08 09:42 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'll let my dad know about the roundup, but I'm pretty sure he's tried it already.  It's the first thing he grabs when plant life pisses him off, now that I got him to quit spraying diesel fuel all over the place.

--------------------

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #8673925 - 07/23/08 09:55 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Looks like Daedaleopsis confragosa. I don't think this is a parasite of trees, but I think it does attack the heartwood of trees.

I wouldn't worry about it attacking other trees in the yard, unless they are injured in some way.

Invisible200proofhonky
bluethumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Timbucktoo
Re: What killed my mom's apple tree? (pics) [Re: falcon]
    #8674144 - 07/23/08 10:45 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

diesel fuel?ha,sounds like me and my neighbors.lol...i know the roundup wiped out my shrooms,but,im no expert,just a thought...goodluck

--------------------
They try to take away everything God gave us,yet...
our money still says "In God We Trust".
You take a mortal man and put him in control,
Watch him become a God,watch peoples heads a'roll.
If you kill a man then your a murderer,kill many an your a conqueror, kill them all and your a God.

Offlinetrikki
cant tame the wild Menace
Male

Re: What killed my mom's apple tree? (pics) [Re: 200proofhonky]
    #8674217 - 07/23/08 11:03 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

:nothingtoadd:

Offlinehideousbastard
Delusionist
Male

Loc: Wyoming
Re: What killed my mom's apple tree? (pics) [Re: trikki]
    #8674543 - 07/24/08 12:26 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Its funny that falcon mentioned Daedaleopsis confragosa,  cause I found several of what I believe to be those today up in the mountains:

They look a bit different than your species though..

Also found some of these:

Which have some of the same features but are obviously quite deformed.

--------------------

Offlinepsilophile82
stilltrillchillpill>realdeal
 User Gallery

Re: What killed my mom's apple tree? (pics) [Re: hideousbastard]
    #8675316 - 07/24/08 06:46 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Dont use roundup or any type of fuel/pesticide in your yard. Fungi grow in harmony with the trees and soil, being the natural decomposer. If this tree has a shelf fungi this large on it, it has been sick for a while. The fungi are not killing the tree, it is just the tree's time, and the mushroom is just playing it's natural part. You mentioned this being an apple tree, and your concern for the rest of the trees, well if you are concerned at all you would do the environmentally responsible thing and never use chemical fertilizers, or pesticides! Plus who wants to eat apple covered in carcinogenic poisonous  unstable organic compounds. Just enjoy the mushroom, and take good organic care of the rest of the yard!

--------------------
"chaos is the nature of order"

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: What killed my mom's apple tree? (pics) [Re: trikki]
    #8676619 - 07/24/08 02:42 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I wouldn't kill them. At the least they'll rot the stump eventually. Don't worry, it's not a poisonous species.

Offlinesomestupidnewbie
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: What killed my mom's apple tree? (pics) [Re: psilophile82]
    #8687121 - 07/27/08 03:16 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

psilophile82 said:
Dont use roundup or any type of fuel/pesticide in your yard. Fungi grow in harmony with the trees and soil, being the natural decomposer. If this tree has a shelf fungi this large on it, it has been sick for a while. The fungi are not killing the tree, it is just the tree's time, and the mushroom is just playing it's natural part. You mentioned this being an apple tree, and your concern for the rest of the trees, well if you are concerned at all you would do the environmentally responsible thing and never use chemical fertilizers, or pesticides! Plus who wants to eat apple covered in carcinogenic poisonous  unstable organic compounds. Just enjoy the mushroom, and take good organic care of the rest of the yard!

The tree is already dead and cut down, and nobody ate the apples in the first place.  It's not my yard, it's my parents' yard, so my input is limited here.  I think I convinced my dad to leave the fungus infused stump alone, since it's not hurting anything, but I'd get straight laughed at if I even pretended to give a shit about doing the "environmentally responsible thing."  Especially when it comes to killing off something.

--------------------

Offlinesomestupidnewbie
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: What killed my mom's apple tree? (pics) [Re: Hotnuts]
    #8687125 - 07/27/08 03:18 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Hotnuts said:
I wouldn't kill them. At the least they'll rot the stump eventually. Don't worry, it's not a poisonous species.

Yeah, I think I convinced him to leave it alone... it's not hurting anything, and didn't kill the tree so it's not a threat to the other trees. I will change the title of the thread to reflect this.

Thanks everyone for the input!

--------------------

Offlinepsilophile82
stilltrillchillpill>realdeal
 User Gallery

#8687369 - 07/27/08 06:45 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

somestupidnewbie said:
Quote:

psilophile82 said:

The tree is already dead and cut down, and nobody ate the apples in the first place.  It's not my yard, it's my parents' yard, so my input is limited here.  I think I convinced my dad to leave the fungus infused stump alone, since it's not hurting anything, but I'd get straight laughed at if I even pretended to give a shit about doing the "environmentally responsible thing."  Especially when it comes to killing off something.

What the fuck? Why? Who cares if you get laughed at...the people that aren't even born, that will get cancer, and not have safe water to drink won't be laughing. It's never to late to care about world around you! Explain to your parents why chemical pesticides/fertilizers are irresponsible, and show them the vast array of other options available at the same places they buy their stuff now that are non-pollutant. Maybe they'll listen...you'd be surprised.

--------------------
"chaos is the nature of order"

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #8687548 - 07/27/08 08:44 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I inoculated the remainder of a hardwood stump that was poorly ground down with a project I had that was contaminated with some kind of odd polypore and damned if the fungus didn't soften it up to the point it's nearly gone. That was 16 months ago and the stump is at the point where I can stomp chunks of it off at ground level. There's a little left, but it's a the point where grass has nearly covered the area and I don't hit it with the damn mower anymore.

Offlinesomestupidnewbie
Stranger
 User Gallery

#8690757 - 07/27/08 11:20 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

psilophile82 said:
Quote:

somestupidnewbie said:
Quote:

psilophile82 said:

What the fuck? Why? Who cares if you get laughed at...the people that aren't even born, that will get cancer, and not have safe water to drink won't be laughing. It's never to late to care about world around you! Explain to your parents why chemical pesticides/fertilizers are irresponsible, and show them the vast array of other options available at the same places they buy their stuff now that are non-pollutant. Maybe they'll listen...you'd be surprised.

I got him to quit spraying diesel fuel mixed with salt rock as a weed killer.  That's about as far as I care to push it.  I would go so far as to say the only reason I got him to use roundup instead is because it works better.  As far as pesticides... shit man this is southern New Mexico.  You kill the bugs, or they kill you.  All's fair in war.

--------------------

Offlinesomestupidnewbie
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: What killed my mom's apple tree? (pics) [Re: Hotnuts]
    #8690768 - 07/27/08 11:22 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Hotnuts said:
I inoculated the remainder of a hardwood stump that was poorly ground down with a project I had that was contaminated with some kind of odd polypore and damned if the fungus didn't soften it up to the point it's nearly gone. That was 16 months ago and the stump is at the point where I can stomp chunks of it off at ground level. There's a little left, but it's a the point where grass has nearly covered the area and I don't hit it with the damn mower anymore.

I think that's what he decided to do with the stump we are dealing with as well.  Why go through all the bother to fight off a fungus if it's not doing any harm?  Hell, it is doing him a favor in getting rid of the stump, so he's likely to just leave it be.

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #8691016 - 07/28/08 12:25 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

psilophile82 said:
Quote:

somestupidnewbie said:
Quote:

psilophile82 said:

newsflash:

glyphosphate is biodegradable and made of the same "chemicals" that are in you right now.

OMG!!!!11!1

Run!

Chill the fuck out.  You obviously know nothing about what you speak other than some vague distaste for "chemicals"

Glycine will not kill you.  Phosphomethyl glycine will not kill you.

For christ's sake, even the nutjobs at greenpeace approve of glyphosphate.

If you had anything useful to say that would be one thing, but to rail against a biodegradable herbicide is irresponsible,  let alone make claims of cancer and shit.

I realize your fucking petrified of glycine, but chill out, its not that bad...  It's one of the most prevalent residues in your body.

Quote:

Explain to your parents why chemical pesticides/fertilizers are irresponsible, and show them the vast array options available at the same places they buy their stuff now that are non-pollutant.

What are these, nothing?  Cuz that's the only thing that isn't made of chemicals.

Go read a book or something, then get back here with some useful input.

btw. roundup is neither a pesticide or fertilizer, and absolutly everything in the fucking universe is a chemical, so why don't you just burn some more incense and listen to phish, rather than talk about stuff you seem to have no conception of.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder