Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineJustice_Fish
Fustice_Jish
Male

Loc: CebèuQ
Best way to get a band together, get known, then have coked up sex?
    #8673419 - 07/23/08 07:48 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

But I won't because I don't do coke
Well not yet:naughty:
just kidding

I wanted to post this in Music & Art forum but told myself some late evening Pub lurkers could give me some advice

First, I gotta say, I'm not playing mainstream music
I can sound very bluesy in my rock playing (I play guitar and sing)
I sound like a drunk Hendrix playing Cream songs while listening to Jefferson Airplane, if that gives you an idea

But I don't want to play this on stage. Maybe a couple of songs but I don't want this to be what my band could play

But first let's talk about the band
What is the best way to start a band? Internet? Ads in Music Stores?
Like I said, I'm looking for people who don't want to play mainstream music
You know
People who really dig Psychedelic Rock
Because that's what I'd like to do!
Think early Pink Floyd smoking weed in an old 50's playground under a cloudy sky in the afternoon
I dig this

Then, part 2, how to get known? Should we hurry and release an album, or could this wait, or is this completly not worth it?

So many things to do

Need advice, please! :brushteeth:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

Re: Best way to get a band together, get known, then have coked up sex? [Re: Justice_Fish]
    #8673475 - 07/23/08 08:00 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

post some ads at local music shops, a la Guitar Center and other similar stores ... they usually have bulletin boards to put up flyers and stuff ...

start composing your own stuff, even before getting a band together!  this is how you get prospective musicians interested and let them know you're actually serious about it.  there are many good players but not many who actually spend the time getting their stuff together into marketable, complete songs ... but also, don't get too far ahead of yourself, and just enjoy the process of playing ... rushing an album out is a poor idea only because if your band gets big (and even if it doesn't), the first album will be known as the one that lacks ... no reason to have any that lack!

once you have a band together, start going to local clubs and other places where you can play, whether for free or otherwise ... if you have your own stuff composed, that would be ideal ... if not, starting by doing covers of other bands (related to the music you want to play) is not a bad idea, if you can make an original spin on them that really hits the mark, and when people start feeling your groove they'll start attending your shows regularly ...

don't get too much into promotional stuff, because I hate bands that play gigs and then have booths selling a ton of merch, it's really annoying and makes me feel like they're ONLY playing to make money ... which isn't a bad side benefit, but surely shouldn't be your number 1 goal.  well I guess that isn't really for me to say, I just don't like it.

and jamming with other kids is the best way to really know how not only to compose, but also how to play live, getting you more spontaneous and most importantly, getting you to LISTEN to the other players ... the best musicians are considered "in the pocket", meaning they play less than more, and know when to play ... when you're not playing alone, it's really important to get the overall sound, because unlike playing alone, you don't have to be playing the whole time, every beat, to entertain ...

anyway, a lot of words .. if you start getting stuff recorded, do post it up here!  it'd be great to hear what kind of stuff you play.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Best way to get a band together, get known, then have coked up sex? [Re: Justice_Fish]
    #8673486 - 07/23/08 08:02 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Justice_Fish said:
What is the best way to start a band?

Find people you connect with musically. Write music.

Quote:

Then, part 2, how to get known? Should we hurry and release an album, or could this wait, or is this completly not worth it?

You get known by writing good (usually..) music, and playing clubs. Get a fanbase. Generally... rushing to release an album is a bad idea, unless you are producing it yourself... who's going to buy your album if you don't have fans? Refine your material, work your ass off, play club after club for litle to nothing. 

The music industry is a beast and it's not easy to become famous. The most important thing is that you are persistent and dedicated to the music and work your ass off.

--------------------

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Loc: Ice patches that last for...
    #8673492 - 07/23/08 08:04 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

If you don't plan to go mainstream, it's all about just getting out there and being heard.

Be ready to put in quite a few years of pub and club crawling.  Staying in shitty hotels, playing in shitty venues with shitty crowds and shitty equipment.  Be ready for not making any money, yet if you work full time, not having the money to tour around as much as you need to to make it "big" to the point where you start having coked up sex. :wink:

It's not something that happens over night.

Do you play well with people?

I've been dreaming about it for years, willing to risk any resemblance of a life I have now, but I have 1 huge hangup...I just can't seem to jam with people.

If your really serious, definetely put an ad out in the newspaper and at the music stores.  Hit up some open mic nights if you live in a location with such things.

Once you hook up with a good set of people, practice, practice and more practice.  Making it a second job.  Regular practices.

Good luck :thumbup:

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Re: Best way to get a band together, get known, then have coked up sex? [Re: HB]
    #8673511 - 07/23/08 08:10 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

start composing your own stuff, even before getting a band together!  this is how you get prospective musicians interested and let them know you're actually serious about it. 

Do you think this is true?

I've been on an extreme nerd off with my music for years.  It's become such a personal hobby of mine.  Since 2004, I've made myself 2 albums, which I make cover art and the full nine yards for it. 

It's cool to know that maybe/possibly some people might really appreciate the amount of work I put into my second life.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Best way to get a band together, get known, then have coked up sex? [Re: Spooge]
    #8673519 - 07/23/08 08:12 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

^ what he said.

being a struggling musician is a full time job basically. And the pay is shit. Practice, practice, practice. Playing every gig and show you can get your hands on, just to be heard and get out there.

And I will say from experience if you are in it for fame, drugs and money you are in it for the wrong reasons and will not last. Only if you are fully dedicated to your music will you have the perseverance to do what it takes.

--------------------

OfflineJustice_Fish
Fustice_Jish
Male

Loc: CebèuQ
Re: Best way to get a band together, get known, then have coked up sex? [Re: Spooge]
    #8673520 - 07/23/08 08:12 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not the most social guy in town
But I play a rare genre
Because what I compose fits perfectly there
I'll start recording (not an album) soon
But I can't rely on friends to start a band
Thanks everyone
What I really need to improve is my jamming techniques
I jam like a retard :argh:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #8673532 - 07/23/08 08:15 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Practice, practice, practice.

--------------------

Offlinedoitagain
He-Bro
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Milk and Honey
    #8673533 - 07/23/08 08:16 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

dude just what you said.  get a band together, get popular and then the coked up sex will come.  it couldnt be easier.

--------------------
now i hear the police comin after me

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

#8673559 - 07/23/08 08:22 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ZoooftheMoon said:
Quote:

start composing your own stuff, even before getting a band together!  this is how you get prospective musicians interested and let them know you're actually serious about it. 

unquestionably.  as I said, I've known a whole list of really brilliant instrumentalists, but none of them are ever down when I call and want to jam or get some stuff recorded, especially on a regular basis.  they want all the benefits with none of the work, and that's lame.  most of them smoke too much pot and never get around to doing anything ... I got over it, and am myself looking for serious musicians to play with me ... so I've started composing, knowing that I will be the front-man and need to put in the most effort ...

a band I've always loved, the Mars Volta, basically is a band of multiple musicians, but there is only one guy writing all the music ... and they get to give their input and compose a little too, from what I know, but he's really the driving force of the band, and the other musicians are there just to propel his vision.  it could be considered selfish, but it's actually just like any business, with a CEO directing a whole list of employees under him.  [at least] one person should be keeping the vision consistent, although input from the other musicians is necessary to keep them from getting bored or jealous, and to also make the music less "stale".

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Re: Best way to get a band together, get known, then have coked up sex? [Re: Shroomism]
    #8673572 - 07/23/08 08:25 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I have some friends I graduated with in highschool who are just on the verge of possibly making it somewhere.

We graduated in 2002 and they immediately moved down to Vancouver.  They had to because there is no way of being serious about it in a small town.

They have been ridiculously dedicated and persevering for years.

They just put out there first official album and had an amateur non-official one before it.  For 6 years they have been grinding it out in small pubs and clubs in the Vancouver area.  They've all been living in a house together, working when they can, not making much money.

After 6 years, it's finally starting to pay off.  And they realize even more then they did yesterday that it's about getting heard.  Getting some play on some major stations was a huge thing.  Now they are touring western canada with plans to tour part of the states.  There's also plans of playing a few festivals in europe.

Quote:

Playing every gig and show you can get your hands on

So right.  Just an example...these guys I'm talking about, which is really heavy thrash type metal, just came to there home town(where I live) and played our big arena(not big my most standards, but it's where all our major concerts are).  They opened for hedley. :smirk:  I felt so sorry for them.  Not the crowd for there music.  All 10-12 year old girls.  They kept trying to get people out of there seats and jumping off the floor below, trying to get people to mosh, and it was just painful to watch.

BUT, I was in the stands and next to me was probably a 15 year old kid and his friend...they both really liked it and I could overhear them talking about buying a cd.

And that's why you play any show you can get your hands on when your starting out.

And even though things are looking up for them and they have GREAT potential(and I personally think they will make it big) it might never happen.  I mean what if it reaches 10 years without making really any money, while your watching all your other friends already owning houses, cars, you name it

like shroomism said, you have to have major perseverance

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

#8673579 - 07/23/08 08:28 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ZoooftheMoon said:
... trying to get people to mosh ...

this is one thing I hate about going to shows.  I'm holding a fucking drink in my hand and listening to music, and some teenage dumbasses start jumping around and hitting me and never looking back, so I spill and waste my drink, and just get pissed off.

if anyone moshes at my gigs, I'll walk off stage.  I really despise it.

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Re: Best way to get a band together, get known, then have coked up sex? [Re: HB]
    #8673597 - 07/23/08 08:34 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

HB said:
Quote:

ZoooftheMoon said:
Quote:

unquestionably.  as I said, I've known a whole list of really brilliant instrumentalists, but none of them are ever down when I call and want to jam or get some stuff recorded, especially on a regular basis.  they want all the benefits with none of the work, and that's lame.  most of them smoke too much pot and never get around to doing anything ... I got over it, and am myself looking for serious musicians to play with me ... so I've started composing, knowing that I will be the front-man and need to put in the most effort ...

a band I've always loved, the Mars Volta, basically is a band of multiple musicians, but there is only one guy writing all the music ... and they get to give their input and compose a little too, from what I know, but he's really the driving force of the band, and the other musicians are there just to propel his vision.  it could be considered selfish, but it's actually just like any business, with a CEO directing a whole list of employees under him.  [at least] one person should be keeping the vision consistent, although input from the other musicians is necessary to keep them from getting bored or jealous, and to also make the music less "stale".

I totally feel where you coming from in a lot of ways.

I think I would have to be the driving force.  I have the o.c.d to make sure things get done and get done right. 

I have a problem jamming with people.  Ive heard this practice, practice, practice pep talk lots and believe me, ive put in my fair share, I just cant seem to ever click with a group of people.  I still keep trying though

I honestly would give anything to jam like i see my friends jam.  To find a person that I could make music with...man, I think about it so much.

Lately, after much usual introspective thinking, I think I might be to selfish with music.  Like I can never get in someone elses groove and jam.  I have to make it up how I want it to sound and hope someone can play along with me and make something sweet.

And thats not how jamming should be.

Its very discouraging.  I really want to find a music "shaman" to really work with and help guide me slowly into jamming with another human being :tongue:

I would pay for that kind of service if it was sucessful. haha

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
    #8673601 - 07/23/08 08:36 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

HB said:
Quote:

ZoooftheMoon said:
... trying to get people to mosh ...

this is one thing I hate about going to shows.  I'm holding a fucking drink in my hand and listening to music, and some teenage dumbasses start jumping around and hitting me and never looking back, so I spill and waste my drink, and just get pissed off.

if anyone moshes at my gigs, I'll walk off stage.  I really despise it.

I agree 100%.  But with a pantera style sound, it's about working the crowd.  The metal scene will always have moshing unfortunetly haha

The bad, well good in this case, thing is that I've never been to a venue in my small town where you're allowed liqour on the floor

OfflineHB
Male User Gallery

#8673619 - 07/23/08 08:43 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ZoooftheMoon said:
Lately, after much usual introspective thinking, I think I might be to selfish with music.  Like I can never get in someone elses groove and jam.  I have to make it up how I want it to sound and hope someone can play along with me and make something sweet.

it's interesting you say that.  I personally find that I am not the best composer, per se, but rather I do best when jamming on and embellishing something that somebody has already put down, as a jam or a composition ... I play mostly lead guitar with rhythm tied in, much like the way hendrix would, and have a great understanding of details and embellishment, but sometimes miss the "overall picture" due to this.  it sounds like we'd be a great match, except that you live thousands of miles from me ...

also, it's a good idea to find a bassist and drummer who are really solid and work well together ... they're the real backbone of a band, the guitarists and singers are just icing on the cake ... but with no cake, the icing is just a sugary treat, lacking in depth and solidity.

in any case, jamming requires listening to everybody and willing to fuck up since it's nothing serious yet ... whenever I play a note that doesn't fit a jam, I try to remember that the note is not one to play again and from there I can easily tell where a more fitting note might be, either up or down the fretboard, it's usually only one or two frets from the "bad" note ... and then I remember where the good notes are, so it just gets easier and easier with every unfitting note I play ...

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
    #8673658 - 07/23/08 08:53 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Very good advice.  Yeah, it sounds like we could make some cool sounding stuff. Ah well, we'll both find others eventuall. I have tons of recordings posted in my journal if you ever want to hear what I make up here in this computer/music room.

I agree with you 100% on the drummer and bassist.

I know the most craziest talented drummer and bassist and they are brothers.  That's a winning combo right there.

There guitarist is basically gone, pursuing his career as a helicopter pilot and they have repeatedly expressed an interest in me coming to jam.

over the years, I have tried so many times that I can't even count them anymore, to jam with them and I just can't seem to even play 1 4 bar beat with them.  Like, nothing comes out.

It also might be a discouragement, in the back of my mind, that I've seen how there previous arrangement with my friend(the guitarist was).  Sean, the bassist, is extremely musically talented(been playing piano since 4...has music theory knowledge up the ass).  He is/was the driving force of the band.  He is very creative as well.  Yet, he has this vision, or did anyway, of a rush type thing, where the bass is the predominant instrument.  He was always drowning out the guitar.  And when my other friend tried to turn up, he would turn up louder.  I don't really dig not being able to hear the guitar as well as I'd like to.

He's so talented though.  And his brother isn't far off.  His brother has invited me to come by, knowing my problems with jamming with them or anyone, and for him to just drum with me and my tunes.

I can see that possibly working and slowly the bassist would start joining in.

It makes me want to call them and set something up.  If I called right now, they would try to plan something immediately.

OfflineDarkMoon21
Child In Time
Male

Loc: Vancouver, BC
    #8673900 - 07/23/08 09:50 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ZoooftheMoon said:
I have some friends I graduated with in highschool who are just on the verge of possibly making it somewhere.

We graduated in 2002 and they immediately moved down to Vancouver.  They had to because there is no way of being serious about it in a small town.

They have been ridiculously dedicated and persevering for years.

They just put out there first official album and had an amateur non-official one before it.  For 6 years they have been grinding it out in small pubs and clubs in the Vancouver area.  They've all been living in a house together, working when they can, not making much money.

After 6 years, it's finally starting to pay off.  And they realize even more then they did yesterday that it's about getting heard.  Getting some play on some major stations was a huge thing.  Now they are touring western canada with plans to tour part of the states.  There's also plans of playing a few festivals in europe.

Quote:

Playing every gig and show you can get your hands on

So right.  Just an example...these guys I'm talking about, which is really heavy thrash type metal, just came to there home town(where I live) and played our big arena(not big my most standards, but it's where all our major concerts are).  They opened for hedley. :smirk:  I felt so sorry for them.  Not the crowd for there music.  All 10-12 year old girls.  They kept trying to get people out of there seats and jumping off the floor below, trying to get people to mosh, and it was just painful to watch.

BUT, I was in the stands and next to me was probably a 15 year old kid and his friend...they both really liked it and I could overhear them talking about buying a cd.

And that's why you play any show you can get your hands on when your starting out.

And even though things are looking up for them and they have GREAT potential(and I personally think they will make it big) it might never happen.  I mean what if it reaches 10 years without making really any money, while your watching all your other friends already owning houses, cars, you name it

like shroomism said, you have to have major perseverance

What's the band called Zoof? My band's currently rockin' the Vancouver metal pub scene, we might know them, or even played with them...:shrug:

--------------------
-=-Never Sigh For Better World
It's Already Composed
Played And Told-=-

Science gives a consistent how with an incomplete why.
Faith gives an inconsistent how with a complete why.

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
    #8673913 - 07/23/08 09:52 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ZoooftheMoon said:
I have 1 huge hangup...I just can't seem to jam with people...

...Ive heard this practice, practice, practice pep talk lots and believe me, ive put in my fair share, I just cant seem to ever click with a group of people...

...I can never get in someone elses groove and jam...

...over the years, I have tried so many times that I can't even count them anymore, to jam with them and I just can't seem to even play 1 4 bar beat with them.  Like, nothing comes out...

How long have you been playing?  Sounds like you just need more practice jamming.  I learned to jam by playing along with CDs or MP3s of live shows with plenty of room for improvisation.

Thats a pretty big problem.  Being able to play and connect with other musicians is what makes a musician.  Ya gotta really feel the groove before you can start throwing in some noodles and eventually take the jam in some direction.

Maybe your theory is limited and thus limiting you. By theory I just mean knowing what notes will sound good, create tension or bring relief over any given chord in a progression.  You should be very aware of what you're playing and aware of potential options for the next thing you'll be playing.  You should know what tone will come from any fret you're going to play.  There should be no guesswork.  No guesswork. 

In jams with just one chord you can keep things interesting basing your licks around the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th.  I also use flatted 7ths and 9ths.  Don't get me wrong, while I'm playing I'm not thinking in numbers like that.  My ear leads me through melodic improvisations and these notes come up a lot.  I was using them long before I learned their names.  In order to jam you have to be able to play a lick or melody that you have in your mind's ear on the spot. As you improvise you come up with (stumble across) a theme (something you repeat), make variations on the theme and develop it.  Most folks jam totally by ear and by feel but there are strategies for constructing effective improvisation jams.

Running your scales, modes, arpeggios to a metronome will help you out a lot if timing trips you up when you try to jam with other musicians.

If you have a good working knowledge of theory..If you have chords, scales, modes and arpeggios burned into muscle memory..If you have good technique, good tone and good time and you still can't jam.. Then its simple. You have no ear, sorry.  You're like a fully trained bomb sniffing dog with no nose.

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Re: Best way to get a band together, get known, then have coked up sex? [Re: BoneMan]
    #8673958 - 07/23/08 10:01 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

You lost me at

Quote:

In jams with just one chord you can keep things interesting basing your licks around the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th.  I also use flatted 7ths and 9ths.  Don't get me wrong, while I'm playing I'm not thinking in numbers like that.  My ear leads me through melodic improvisations and these notes come up a lot.  I was using them long before I learned their names.  In order to jam you have to be able to play a lick or melody that you have in your mind's ear on the spot. As you improvise you come up with (stumble across) a theme (something you repeat), make variations on the theme and develop it.  Most folks jam totally by ear and by feel but there are strategies for constructing effective improvisation jams.

yea no theory from me.  But I learned how to play from jamming out to old school records and tapes.

dark moon:  you know over the coals?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies