Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineADamnedMan
Stranger
 User Gallery
Grow already!
    #8669892 - 07/22/08 11:41 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

1st post btw. :smile:

After lurking forever, reading, researching, etc., I inoculated my first jars tonight after HOURS of sterilization. I didnt have a pressure cooker, and read that I should boil for an hour, let cool an hour (to let dormant bacteria/other nasties activate) and boiled another hour to (muhahahah! die!) erm, ensure sterility. Halfway into it, I broke down and went to Walmart to buy one, otherwise I'd still be at it. (24 jars in total.)

Ive got them in my pantry, which also, strangely enough, houses my hot water heater. The jars are hanging right around 89 degrees, which I know is a little warm, but cant for the life of me find anywhere else in this apartment thats warmer than the rest (consistantly). The space above my fridge is just 1 deg higher than ambient (75 deg), so thats not really going to help much.

In any case, I really, really want them to burst out of their jars with 1/2 ton fruits so I can enjoy them already. :P

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineharikata
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Re: Grow already! [Re: ADamnedMan]
    #8669907 - 07/22/08 11:43 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ADamnedMan said:
1st post btw. :smile:

After lurking forever, reading, researching, etc., I inoculated my first jars tonight after HOURS of sterilization. I didnt have a pressure cooker, and read that I should boil for an hour, let cool an hour (to let dormant bacteria/other nasties activate) and boiled another hour to (muhahahah! die!) erm, ensure sterility. Halfway into it, I broke down and went to Walmart to buy one, otherwise I'd still be at it. (24 jars in total.)

Ive got them in my pantry, which also, strangely enough, houses my hot water heater. The jars are hanging right around 89 degrees, which I know is a little warm, but cant for the life of me find anywhere else in this apartment thats warmer than the rest (consistantly). The space above my fridge is just 1 deg higher than ambient (75 deg), so thats not really going to help much.

In any case, I really, really want them to burst out of their jars with 1/2 ton fruits so I can enjoy them already. :P

Get them out of the hot closet.  89 degrees will not only hinder mycelium growth but help contams grow quicker.  Room temperature is fine.  Remember, it's always a few degrees warmer inside the jars.

Offlinejohnny.fairplay
StrangerThanFishin
 User Gallery

#8669910 - 07/22/08 11:43 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Slow down, patience.  75 Degrees is fine if your not sure about how warm the closet gets, if you get too warm contams grow faster than the mycelium.

--------------------
My trade thread

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
    #8669913 - 07/22/08 11:44 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Well congratulations on your first attempt, i hope it's fruitful for you!

The closet is just warm enough to cause myc to grow, but contams to grow faster, so either move it closer to the door and away from the water heater, or use the above the fridge dealy, coz 75*F will work, but it may take longer.

Just please be patient and don't give up, from spore you may be waiting about 5 days before you see ANY growth, after that, it shouldn't take more then 9 or 10 days to completely cover the jar, but even then, you should wait another week, see how patience plays a big part?

keep at it and soon enough you'll be asking questions on bulk processes!!!

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: Grow already! [Re: jeetered]
    #8669935 - 07/22/08 11:49 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Temperature will not necessarily slow your colonization time, but it will certainly fuel contaminates.

As said above room temperature is fine, and in most peoples perspective the best way. I like 76-80, but no higher than 80. Thats just me, and I guess its cause my place I incubate in usually stays around there. Rarely have a contaminated jar, and its usually my fault.

Welcome to the shroomery! Stick around! :yesnod:

--------------------

OfflineADamnedMan
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Grow already! [Re: MHbound]
    #8669975 - 07/22/08 11:59 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Cool, stuck them over the fridge...

I got a grab bag from Sporeworks... got here faster than I had time to gather materials. (Vermiculite is not exactly easy to find. None of the big stores had it, and had to go through 3 nurseries to find some.)

B+, Berma, Golden Teacher, Hawiian... I know that B+ and Berma is good from personal experience. Heard good things about the other two.

Hopefully, I can get this plastic crate converted into a proper terrarium. I'm gone often during the week for days, so I'm going to have to drill holes, possibly rig a computer fan on a timer or something.

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
    #8670010 - 07/23/08 12:08 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ADamnedMan said:
Cool, stuck them over the fridge...

I got a grab bag from Sporeworks... got here faster than I had time to gather materials. (Vermiculite is not exactly easy to find. None of the big stores had it, and had to go through 3 nurseries to find some.)

B+, Berma, Golden Teacher, Hawiian... I know that B+ and Berma is good from personal experience. Heard good things about the other two.

Hopefully, I can get this plastic crate converted into a proper terrarium. I'm gone often during the week for days, so I'm going to have to drill holes, possibly rig a computer fan on a timer or something.

i am doing some bulk hawaiians right now, on manure, on coir, on straw, etc, some from isolate as well, no matter what I do, the potency is way way way below average, i honestly would not suggest going with that strain first,
seriously though, it takes like 5 mins for them to stain light green, my palenques i have going, and the tasmanians, same substrate, and method of growing, you touch them with a glove on barely to harvest them, and they stain dark ass blue in less then a nanosecond.. so I am thinking that hawaiians are just not very potent, this is the 3rd syringe of them i've used over the last year, and each time it's been the same story, i thought maybe i just got shit genetics, but after 3 times, and isolating some wicked rhizo, there should be no reason the potency should be this lacking, so UNLESS YOU WANT nothing but a body buzz, ditch the hawaiian, trade it for something else.

OfflineADamnedMan
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Grow already! [Re: jeetered]
    #8670054 - 07/23/08 12:20 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Eh, sometimes I might get a wild hair and NOT want to watch my wall melt for 3 hours. :P

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

#8670088 - 07/23/08 12:32 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Over the fridge actually creates heat so watch it, but it should be fine. I know people who do that actually. Good luck, and keep us updated.

--------------------

OfflineADamnedMan
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #8672036 - 07/23/08 02:07 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

So my handy dandy thermometer says that above the fridge has been anywhere from 75 to 84, but I'm more inclined to believe that it's 75 to 80 because I put it up there when my kitchen was still a little warm from the sterilizing a few hour prior.

Right now it's at 78 degrees, so they should be alright I guess.

Also, I'm curious about 'dunking'... I've read elsewhere that direct water contact is bad for mycelium? Or is it 'prolonged' direct contact? Such as spraying in a terrarium where the RH is 100% and the water sprayed onto the mycelium never evaporates.

Should I dunk before I put them in the terrarium? Or is that something to do after the first flush?

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
    #8672090 - 07/23/08 02:20 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

After your jars are 100% colonized, wait one more week. I know it's hard.

Then, dunk them in as deep a pot as you've got, held down by plates or whatever will hold them down. Of course don't squish them. Do this in cold water at room temperature, or in your fridge as a lot of people do. It doesn't matter.

Then take them out and rinse them off. While they are still wet as you can have them, roll them in dry verm like you are breading fish to fry. If they are not completely coated, that's okay, don't keep trying to make verm stick you'll just lose more. Stick them in your FC, wait a half hour or so, then mist the shit out of them til they are soaked. Try to put them in so they are upside down (in relation to when they were in the jar). The bottom side (now on top) will have an indent, and you can put a little more verm on top if you want. This just holds in more water. Soak that shit. Do lots of misting and fanning, and in 7 days you'll have a pinstravaganza. 

:partykid:
Mad River

Offlineharikata
Stranger
Female User Gallery

#8672094 - 07/23/08 02:21 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

78 degrees is perfectly fine.  Dunk for 12-24 hours before putting them in the terrarium, and after each flush.  It won't hurt the mycelium, just don't let dunk for more than 24 hours or they will drown.  Make sure to roll them in vermiculite too.

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Re: Grow already! [Re: harikata]
    #8672099 - 07/23/08 02:22 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

They won't drown. You can dunk them for weeks and they'll be fine. I dunked for like three days once. No problem.

Offlineharikata
Stranger
Female User Gallery

Re: Grow already! [Re: Mad River]
    #8672125 - 07/23/08 02:30 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Weeks?  Wow.  I'd be afraid to.  I might take your advice though and dunk one of my cakes for a few days extra and compare.

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Re: Grow already! [Re: harikata]
    #8672175 - 07/23/08 02:41 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know if there's a good reason to do it, I just know it won't kill the mycelium.

OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Re: Grow already! [Re: Mad River]
    #8672868 - 07/23/08 05:34 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

You cannot dunk them for weeks. Try it, you won't like the outcome. You will have a big ball of mush. I guess if thats what you want go for it.

--------------------

Offlinekiyote
Apprentice Grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: Near Chicago
    #8672911 - 07/23/08 05:49 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

(Vermiculite is not exactly easy to find. None of the big stores had it, and had to go through 3 nurseries to find some.)

I know where you're coming from.  My first bag of vermiculite took forever to find; I ended up having to drive ten miles to a nursery that carried it.  Then a week after I bought it, I found out that a hardware store down the street carried it even though they told me they didn't.  It was a few bucks more but with gas prices what they are... :shrug:

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
    #8673380 - 07/23/08 07:36 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ADamnedMan said:
So my handy dandy thermometer says that above the fridge has been anywhere from 75 to 84, but I'm more inclined to believe that it's 75 to 80 because I put it up there when my kitchen was still a little warm from the sterilizing a few hour prior.

Right now it's at 78 degrees, so they should be alright I guess.

Also, I'm curious about 'dunking'... I've read elsewhere that direct water contact is bad for mycelium? Or is it 'prolonged' direct contact? Such as spraying in a terrarium where the RH is 100% and the water sprayed onto the mycelium never evaporates.

Should I dunk before I put them in the terrarium? Or is that something to do after the first flush?

Between 76 and 81 is prime for colonization. You should dunk 12-24 hours before first flush and every other one. Also roll them, then mist after 3 hours to dampen the verm. It gives better fruits, shrooms love water.

--------------------

OfflineADamnedMan
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Grow already! [Re: ray40cal]
    #8714023 - 08/01/08 08:54 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

So I get back from being out of town a week. (Probably good because I quit looking at my jars every freaking day and left the things alone.)

Maybe I fail at inoculation, but in some, I see no mycelium at all, not even tiny spots! This is 8 days now. For some reason when I'm away, my *not* opening and closing the doors, windows, etc, causes my apartement to get warmer. The thermometer read a high of 84 degrees.

Also, I may have a contamination, but only one. The entire half of one of my jars is (on the inside) covered in what I can only describe as doughnut glaze. My camera is dead, so I can't post pics right now. It's clearish, but definately doesn't look like mycelium. It really sucks because there's some wicked looking rhezo on the other side of the jar. :frown: Any thoughts on what that might be?

Edited by ADamnedMan (08/01/08 08:59 PM)

Offlinelittlediddy2001
Strange
Male

Loc: Diddyland
    #8714290 - 08/01/08 10:26 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

If I recall correctly, RR advocates 75 degrees because the inside of the jars will always be a little warmer.

--------------------
"The last time I saw a chick that hot an omelette was burning!"

1st Monotub Project

Summer 2008 Outdoor Project

Mini-Monotub Project

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate