Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Organ
Is one bottle of V8 each day good enough for vegetable intake?
    #8656892 - 07/19/08 10:11 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

usually i eat a great deal of fresh vegetables each day.  i get tomatoes, heavy cucumbers, heavy green peppers, heavy onions, heavy bell peppers, heavy carrots, and jalapenos on my subway sandwich, and i eat a full bag of spinach(2 servings).

but today i only drank a full bottle of spicy V8 vegetable juice.  it says on the bottle that there are 6 servings per container.

V8 provides vegetable juices from the Red Group, Orange Group, and Green Group.

what if i did this more often, is that enough vegetables?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Is one bottle of V8 each day good enough for vegetable intake? [Re: LayYouIn]
    #8657607 - 07/20/08 03:10 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

No.... at least that's what I'm gonna say.

Eating the actual vegetable is going to be healthier than drinking a processed vegetable juice.. all the time.

Although I guess drinking V8 is better than not eating vegetables at all :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Is one bottle of V8 each day good enough for vegetable intake? [Re: LayYouIn]
    #8657610 - 07/20/08 03:14 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

It's pretty good, but it's got a ton of salt in it too.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Is one bottle of V8 each day good enough for vegetable intake? [Re: Le_Canard]
    #8657876 - 07/20/08 06:54 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

V8 has so much salt that it is not good for you at all.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Is one bottle of V8 each day good enough for vegetable intake? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #8657975 - 07/20/08 08:07 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

The juice is cooked and so many nutrients gone , plus most the fiber is gone. Plus it tastes like shit.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Is one bottle of V8 each day good enough for vegetable intake? [Re: Icelander]
    #8658079 - 07/20/08 09:03 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, it is just processed garbage...nothing more.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #8658092 - 07/20/08 09:11 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

You'd be better off skipping the V-8 and taking vitamins instead.  Without the fiber, enzymes & antioxidants present in fresh whole veggies, there's not much going on.  As already mentioned, V-8 is VERY high in sodium.  The Spicy V-8 you consumed has 710 mg of sodium per 8 oz. serving!  :eek:    We need approx. 1500 mg per day, but should not exceed 2300 mg per day.  If you drank 6 servings, you obtained 4260 mg.  Even if you did not get sodium from anything else you ate that day (very unlikely), you still almost doubled the maximum recommended intake.

Fresh whole veggies, FTW!  :smile:

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Is one bottle of V8 each day good enough for vegetable intake? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #8658100 - 07/20/08 09:14 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

So what type of "processing" goes into V8 and how does it change the content of the veggie juice?  Isn't it supposedly "100% vegetable juice?"

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Is one bottle of V8 each day good enough for vegetable intake? [Re: badchad]
    #8658164 - 07/20/08 09:33 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Well, juicing vegetables is processing, as it removes the beneficial fiber.  Then V-8 is pasteurized, which kills all enzymatic activity & destroys heat-sensitive vitamins.  After this, it goes through the canning/bottling process, which exposes the juice to both air AND heat, further degrading the vitamin content.  Then it is shipped across the country in unrefrigerated trucks & placed on the shelf in the store.

If you wanted to consume juice which still has the original nutritional value, you would have to drink it immediately upon juicing.  This juice blend would NOT taste like V-8, and it would have the drawback of containing little fiber, but it would be close to the nutrition of the whole veggies.

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Is one bottle of V8 each day good enough for vegetable intake? [Re: Veritas]
    #8658692 - 07/20/08 12:23 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I was wondering what you healthy folk would think of this.

Isn't juicing your own veges very expensive?

I am not talking about it as a replacement for vegetables like the original poster, but isn't it pretty good as far as processed foods go? It is processed vegetables after all, I don't think they have a hole lot of crap in it, besides the sodium, which you do need a certain quantity of daily. They make a lower sodium drink which is what I drink occasionally. Any reason outside of the sodium that would make this - try to level with me here - a bad thing?

Been meaning to ask this myself

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Is one bottle of V8 each day good enough for vegetable intake? [Re: Veritas]
    #8658844 - 07/20/08 12:59 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Holy crapballs that's a lot of freaking salt.

Daytripper.. juicing your own vegetables is not expensive at all.. as long as you have a juicer. Usually the only thing you'll lose from juicing your own veggies is some fiber, depending on the type of juicer you have. Some filter out most or all of it, others may let most of it come through.

Or are you asking about V8.. I'm confused. I think Veritas covered it pretty well.. the juicing removes the fiber, the pasteurization process kills off most of the beneficial enzymes and phytonutrients, and destroys most heat sensitive vitamins.. so what you are left with is a stripped down version of veggy juice that is lacking almost all the life-giving properties of the original plant and is loaded with sodium. Yeah you do need a certain amount of sodium daily.. but it's not very much.. and you can very easily meet sodium requirements just by eating normal natural healthy foods... most people get WAY too much sodium as it is, especially if they eat the average unhealthy american diet.

So bottom line is the whole, raw vegetables have everything you need.. the fiber, all the nutrients and enzymes that are sensitive and break down under heat or cooking. Juicing your own vegetables is fine, I would recommend it. But like Veritas said, you would have to drink it immeditately, as it wont last long without pasteurization and presevatives. Many vitamins begin to degrade as soon as they come into contact with air.

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Re: Is one bottle of V8 each day good enough for vegetable intake? [Re: Shroomism]
    #8658869 - 07/20/08 01:07 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Have any good vege-smoothie recipes?

Were about to re-up on groceries.

Tomato as base is key I would guess, but from there, Id probably to just try to imitate V8.:lol:

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Re: Is one bottle of V8 each day good enough for vegetable intake? [Re: daytripper23]
    #8659262 - 07/20/08 02:51 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Look, if the nutrients are gone because they boiled the piss out of it, and preservatives (read chemicals) are added, why waste time and money drinking it? Drink something else nutritious, and eat vegetables. About all it's got is lycopene and vitamin A. Ketchup has that...just eat some ketchup...lol.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #8659530 - 07/20/08 03:47 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I don't think V-8 has any preservatives...the salt and pasteurization are adequate to keep it "shelf stable" for years.  :tongue:

daytripper:  any "smoothie" prepared with fresh vegetables & left uncooked and unsalted will taste nothing like V-8.  V-8 has more in common with canned tomato soup than it does with fresh juice, so it is impossible to imitate it without resorting to the same nutrient-stripping methodology.  :shrug:

Edited by Veritas (07/20/08 03:55 PM)

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#8659696 - 07/20/08 04:34 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

It has citric acid added as a preservative. That is a chemical...so is salt. Beer is probably more healthy. I tell myself that anyway...

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

#8659864 - 07/20/08 05:18 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

About all it's got is lycopene and vitamin A. Ketchup has that...just eat some ketchup...lol.

heh that made me chuckle.

you guys get me wrong, Im not really going for the V-8. Otherwise id just buy a v-8 right? Its just the whole idea of vege smoothies is weird at the moment, and i wouldn't know whether to put pumpkins or pineapple in it.

Eh, no more speculation, Ill just go for it.

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Re: Is one bottle of V8 each day good enough for vegetable intake? [Re: daytripper23]
    #8659889 - 07/20/08 05:23 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Hey what do you guys think of V8-fusion? Ive had this, and it tastes incredible. Its 100 percent vegetable and fruit juice too.

Really expensive though.

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #8660031 - 07/20/08 05:57 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Same as V-8, but without the excess sodium.  Highly-processed, stale, pasteurized juice is little better than sugar water, IMO.

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

#8660123 - 07/20/08 06:20 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

So what, you personally juice all your juices too?

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #8660155 - 07/20/08 06:31 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I drink a glass of Frank's Red Hot every morning.

What is 'sodium'?

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates