Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
Pop Physics Questions
    #8648081 - 07/17/08 05:27 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I've been reading A Brief History of Time lately, I understand most of it but I do have a few questions, and if any of you physics geniuses feel like answering em that would be cool.  I'm probably just missing something entirely, so in all probability the problem will be with my questions more than anything else, but wutevah...

1.  When talking about black holes, Hawking talks about how all light rays at the event horizon must be parallel to each other by definition.  From this we can see that the area must never decrease.  But later, when he talks about Hawking radiation, he says that  black holes will eventually "evaporate" due to the radiation of particles and the negative mass that enters the black hole. So my questions about this are:
    a) I thought that the area of a black hole was  directly related to it's mass, i.e. black holes of the same mass will always have the same area.  But if black holes can lose mass but not area, doesn't this contradict?
    b) If the black hole does eventually completely evaporate, then it has NO area, and either way that violates what Hawking says about light rays. So what's up with that?

2.  When he talks about the modern inflationary model, where certain spin 0 fields in early regions of the universe cause it to inflate.  One of these regions would be the observable universe.  Is he just using Occam's Razor and disregarding the parts of the universe we can't observe, or is he still somehow inferring that inflation applies to the entire universe?

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Pop Physics Questions [Re: g00ru]
    #8650747 - 07/18/08 11:47 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Well, Im no expert in cosmology or black holes... but this seems funky to me...
Hawking talks about how all light rays at the event horizon must be parallel to each other by definition.

Really?  hmmmm

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Pop Physics Questions [Re: DieCommie]
    #8651823 - 07/18/08 04:10 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

It's all just theory, don't take it too seriously. Black holes don't really have any area or volume, according to some thoeries. They are just points in space where matter has collapsed on itself.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
Re: Pop Physics Questions [Re: DieCommie]
    #8652120 - 07/18/08 05:37 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
Well, Im no expert in cosmology or black holes... but this seems funky to me...
Hawking talks about how all light rays at the event horizon must be parallel to each other by definition.

Really?  hmmmm

If they weren't parallel they would interfere with each other and fall into the black hole.  The analogy used is that two people running away from the cops run into each other, and they are both caught.  Idk if it's true or not but he never recants it.

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom