Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

If absolutely no one in the US casts a vote in the presidential election
    #8636342 - 07/15/08 03:52 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

who would win?

I understand the electoral college and blah blah blah..so if absolutely no one voted who do you think would win?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCoaster
BaĘżal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: If absolutely no one in the US casts a vote in the presidential election [Re: Stein]
    #8636344 - 07/15/08 03:53 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

obama will have his homies take out mccizane

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: If absolutely no one in the US casts a vote in the presidential election [Re: Stein]
    #8636418 - 07/15/08 04:42 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Stein said:
who would win?

I understand the electoral college and blah blah blah..so if absolutely no one voted who do you think would win?

So your not asking about the mechanics or legalities, just who the electors would choose?

Hopefully someone that wouldn't have won....

They should elect Thomas jefferson or some old-school liberty minded person (preferably dead).

InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: If absolutely no one in the US casts a vote in the presidential election [Re: johnm214]
    #8636424 - 07/15/08 04:45 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Quote:

Stein said:
who would win?

So your not asking about the mechanics or legalities, just who the electors would choose?

yep

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#8637083 - 07/15/08 09:51 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Stein said:
who would win?

I believe it would go to the Congress (or perhaps just the Senate). While your scenario has obviously never occurred before, nor will it anytime soon, you may want to look into the 1800 presidential race (between Jefferson and Burr, primarily) as an example of interesting contingencies. There was another such example in the 1870s, I believe, but it eludes me at the moment.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: If absolutely no one in the US casts a vote in the presidential election [Re: Ancalagon]
    #8637108 - 07/15/08 10:02 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I would imagine the currently elected party would win by default... Or at least it could be argued that way.

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
Re: If absolutely no one in the US casts a vote in the presidential election [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #8637386 - 07/15/08 11:37 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I would imagine the currently elected party would win by default... Or at least it could be argued that way.

I agree if you meant the currently elected majority party in the Congress.  I'd guess the SCOTUS would rubber stamp that decision..  or, not.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

InvisibleMinstrel
Man of Science
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hogtown
Re: If absolutely no one in the US casts a vote in the presidential election [Re: thedefone]
    #8637966 - 07/15/08 01:39 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

The monster needs to be fed.  One must be selected from amongst the people as the sacrifice.  For 8 years they endure their torment, with hope of being spared after 4.  His soul will be consumed.  The will of the people demands it.  Without the sacrifice, the beast may die.  It will hunger.  The people must decide their president.

--------------------

Edited by Minstrel (07/15/08 01:40 PM)

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: If absolutely no one in the US casts a vote in the presidential election [Re: thedefone]
    #8639769 - 07/15/08 08:35 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

thedefone said:
Quote:

I agree if you meant the currently elected majority party in the Congress.  I'd guess the SCOTUS would rubber stamp that decision..  or, not.

read article II

The electoral college decides.

What does that have to do with the Supreme Court?

The supreme court cannot and shouldn't declare winners of elections.

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Re: If absolutely no one in the US casts a vote in the presidential election [Re: johnm214]
    #8640022 - 07/15/08 09:28 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

How does the electoral college decide when there was no election?

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #8640093 - 07/15/08 09:43 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Why is everyone getting all revved up over something that will never ever happen?

There's not enough actual controversial things associated with this election to keep everybody happy? We've gotta start considering impossible stuff now?

Phred

--------------------

OfflineMushmonkey
shiftlesslayabout
 User Gallery

#8640103 - 07/15/08 09:46 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

there was an election, if nobody voted how the college would vote would vary from state to state
some states they're required to vote how the state voted, some states it's proportional, some states they vote how the state votes BY TRADITION but not by law and are in fact actually legally able to vote however they want; the vote you stick in a box is just a suggestion for them, basically, yeah.  or some shit.

so i'm guessing the electoral college from few states would determine the president

OR

i think it's safe to assume that AT LEAST the candidates themselves would vote, for themself, so if they were the only vote in their home state and no other states had any votes and no electoral college put any votes in or anything..  whichever candidate was from the larger state would win.  hah.

--------------------
i finally got around to making a sig
revel in its glory and quake in fear at its might
grar.

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Re: If absolutely no one in the US casts a vote in the presidential election [Re: Mushmonkey]
    #8640281 - 07/15/08 10:21 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

i think it's safe to assume that AT LEAST the candidates themselves would vote, for themself, so if they were the only vote in their home state and no other states had any votes and no electoral college put any votes in or anything..  whichever candidate was from the larger state would win.  hah.

Winner.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder