Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefoliocb
always running
Male

My First Shroomery... guide me please!
    #8632283 - 07/14/08 03:01 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Hello everyone! This is my first week of growing shrooms, I decided to grow my own because after having a life altering fun trip with shrooms... I wanted more... however no one sells shrooms where i live now days.. I live in Hawaii.

I was about to order some spore syringes, when a friend of mine told me that she has a syringe of spores... and said she would give it to me if i would give her some of the final product.. which i agreed gladly.

it ended up being 8 syringes... for free! after i got these syringes... i bought all of the other items, i watched a few videos and took lots of notes, more particularly the pf tek method video on youtube.com

I got very finely grated vermiculite from a hardware store... i hope it works because it looks different from most vermiculite pictures i see... and i got some brown rice flour from a health food store.

so i have inocculated 24 jars and have quite a few questions.. if you can answer ANY of them i would really appreciated it! thanks!

-I have very fine, grated vermiculite... will it be the same as the more chunky vermiculite most of you seem to be using? Keep in mind... I live in Hawaii and do not have access to much selections as the rest of you!

-The syringes i got are several months old. have never been used... will they be fine?

-I used a regular pot and steamed my jars clean... as mentioned in the youtube pf tek method video... they claimed that it would be just fine compares to a pressure cooker... i couldnt find a pressure cooker on my island for under $100... will a regular large pot work fine? I elevated my jars several inches from the boiling water... and basically steamed my jars for about 90 minutes, then let them sit for about 3-4 hours before inoculating them.

-For my first 12 jars... I covered the four inoculating holes with micropore tape after injecting spores quickly,... then storing them above in the cabinet above my fridge... its been 3 days and I havent seen any germination yet. I removed the tape from the jars today... is it normal to not see any germination after 3 days?

-Hawaii is VERY humid... so for my terrarium i basically have a large sized, clear plastic bin with several holes drilled in them... I plan to fill it with moist perlite when it is time to fruit my cakes.. then spray some water on my terrarium once in awhile, and fanning my terrarium twice a day.. will this be ideal for fruiting? humidity will not be a factor in my case I think... its usually 80% humidity here in hawaii.

-What would happen if I cut a cake in half after it colonized, and place the 2 pieces in my terrarium... will  I yield more shrooms?

-What exactly is a flush? Just a batch of shrooms? Is there any way I can re use a cake after I have harvested my batch of shrooms out of them?

-Are aborted shrooms just as potent as regular mushrooms?

-If i took a scoop of my colonized jar, and placed it another sterile jar with substrate... and shake the jar... will it produce another colonized jar?

-I am a little confused about casing methods... as far as I can tell... is a casing basically several cakes in a baking pan... or some sort... filled with peat moss? I am kind of curious about casing methods, but do not know where to get crushed oysters... or calcium... I have peat moss... but dont know the exact method for making a proper casing... could anyone clarify?

As you can see... i have alot of unanswered questions! if you can clarify any of them for me... it would enhance my knowledge even more... thanks!

--------------------
^v^

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerev 766
gum flappin' scallywag
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: $tate of Inebriation, Pat...
Re: My First Shroomery... guide me please! [Re: foliocb]
    #8632341 - 07/14/08 03:37 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

damn, that's alot of questions.

try the search the site, and search the forums buttons at the top. if you click on them you can do an advanced search.
usually if i'm reading alot of search results that contradict each other, i do the search for posts by roger rabbit, roadkill, agar...if you look around the site for a few weeks you'll know who to listen to.

i will tell you as i was skimming over your questions i noticed the one about cutting a cake in half. this will not yield more shrooms. perhaps more, but the weight cannot exceed what it's growing out of.

as for the rest, i'm getting ready to go to bed, but really, the search function is your best friend. learn to use it quick, because most people are less tolerant of these posts like yours since there are about 10000000 of these "multiple questions with easily found answers" posts a day.

tah

--------------------
praise "Bob"
did you mean shmooed-R.I.P.

"drought besets the mind, decay besets the man"-me

OfflineMYSTIQUE
Say Hi to the elves for me.
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #8632489 - 07/14/08 06:11 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Hello everyone! This is my first week of growing shrooms,
I decided to grow my own because after having a life altering fun trip with shrooms... I wanted more... however no one sells shrooms where i live now days.. I live in Hawaii.

I was about to order some spore syringes, when a friend of mine told me that she has a syringe of spores... and said she would give it to me if i would give her some of the final product.. which i agreed gladly.

it ended up being 8 syringes... for free! after i got these syringes... i bought all of the other items, i watched a few videos and took lots of notes, more particularly the pf tek method video on youtube.com

I got very finely grated vermiculite from a hardware store... i hope it works because it looks different from most vermiculite pictures i see... and i got some brown rice flour from a health food store.

so i have inocculated 24 jars and have quite a few questions.. if you can answer ANY of them i would really appreciated it! thanks!

-I have very fine, grated vermiculite... will it be the same as the more chunky vermiculite most of you seem to be using? Keep in mind... I live in Hawaii and do not have access to much selections as the rest of you!

I find it harder to get it to feild consitancy with fine verm it ends up to wet and needs alot of squeezing from my experience also hard to get it to fluff nice

-The syringes i got are several months old. have never been used... will they be fine?

They will be fine if she didnt have them in her drawer or car or something getting really hot

-I used a regular pot and steamed my jars clean... as mentioned in the youtube pf tek method video... they claimed that it would be just fine compares to a pressure cooker... i couldnt find a pressure cooker on my island for under $100... will a regular large pot work fine? I elevated my jars several inches from the boiling water... and basically steamed my jars for about 90 minutes, then let them sit for about 3-4 hours before inoculating them.

Ya for P.F. tek you can get away with just a nornal pot but any other sub like grain you will need a P.c.

-For my first 12 jars... I covered the four inoculating holes with micropore tape after injecting spores quickly,... then storing them above in the cabinet above my fridge... its been 3 days and I havent seen any germination yet. I removed the tape from the jars today... is it normal to not see any germination after 3 days?
ya its fine give it up to a week

-Hawaii is VERY humid... so for my terrarium i basically have a large sized, clear plastic bin with several holes drilled in them... I plan to fill it with moist perlite when it is time to fruit my cakes.. then spray some water on my terrarium once in awhile, and fanning my terrarium twice a day.. will this be ideal for fruiting? humidity will not be a factor in my case I think... its usually 80% humidity here in hawaii.

80 is nice but you will want it at 99% but what you are saying is fine to do but you might want more then a few holes

-What would happen if I cut a cake in half after it colonized, and place the 2 pieces in my terrarium... will  I yield more shrooms?
it will waste energy repairing the part you cut cakes do best as whole cakes

-What exactly is a flush? Just a batch of shrooms? Is there any way I can re use a cake after I have harvested my batch of shrooms out of them?

A flush is like a crop but with mushrooms the crop comes in three times or more sometimes. Once you pick all your mushrooms in a day or two you will notice more poping up.
Use the search to find second flush tek. But mostly you will want to run water over it after to picked it clean to clean it off a bit the you will soak it in clean distilled water over night rinse it off again and let it drip off the extra water then put them back in the f.c.

-Are aborted shrooms just as potent as regular mushrooms?

Some say more some say same but they are so little it dont really matter off a few cakes

-If i took a scoop of my colonized jar, and placed it another sterile jar with substrate... and shake the jar... will it produce another colonized jar?

That dont really work with pf tek

-I am a little confused about casing methods... as far as I can tell... is a casing basically several cakes in a baking pan... or some sort... filled with peat moss? I am kind of curious about casing methods, but do not know where to get crushed oysters... or calcium... I have peat moss... but dont know the exact method for making a proper casing... could anyone clarify?

Case is for bulk sub you are doing P.f. Tek so dont worry about a caseing you are going to dunk and roll its easy to find so go search it

As you can see... i have alot of unanswered questions! if you can clarify any of them for me... it would enhance my knowledge even more... thanks!

--------------------
Dont know what the fuck I just said? READ THIS
http://www.shroomery.org/5122/The-Shroomery-Mushroom-Glossary
I ain't a hippy but I'm covered in dirt                         
Sippin lots of mushroom tea in a tye-dye shirt
Chasin' the Grateful Dead, no shoes on my feet
Beggin' in the parking lot for something to eat,

:onfire:DO NOT USE FIRE IN YOUR GLOVE BOX!!!!!!!:onfire:

OfflinePowerOfTheCoir
Newbie Sympathizer
Male User Gallery

Re: My First Shroomery... guide me please! [Re: MYSTIQUE]
    #8632691 - 07/14/08 08:12 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Your fine vermiculite will work, ummm, fine. Many pictures in teks used very coarse verm simply to make things easier to see in the jar.

Your steaming technique was correct - people still sometimes get a contam or two, but that's tough to avoid. If you steam too long, you'll lose too much moisture, so 90 minutes is generally a good number. You also said you let them cool for 3-4 hours before inoculation. If they were all the way cool then that was fine, but I usually let them sit overnight. The internal temperature of a jar takes longer to go down than the outside of the glass, so if a cake is still warm, it can injure or kill the spores.

3 days is nothing. Your spores may be a touch slow due to their slight oldness (but they're still not problematically old) but 3 days is nothing. It can take a week or longer to see growth from spores.

For your terrarium, watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGQok-UnyJE
That's the ideal basic terrarium. The hundreds of holes are very beneficial since FAE (fresh air exchange AKA oxygen supply) is a huge factor in your performance. Fanning twice a day helps, but unless you want to fan a lot more than that, you'll need extra holes. BTW, you'll hear the term "Shotgun Tub" frequently on this board. It refers to the tub from that video and it is generally considered to be the best option for a perlite humidified plastic tub. Hawaii's humidity sounds great, but don't let that stop you from using the 5 inches of wet perlite  recommended in that video. Mushrooms, especially when using cakes, love humidity and 100% is perfect. You can't OVERhumidify unless you are using an actual humidifier.

If you cut a cake in half, you might get shrooms faster, but you can never increase the total eventual yield past that allowed by the amount of BRF in the jar. The faster production would come from the increased surface area of the 2 half-cakes which may give you more shrooms per flush. The problems with cutting them in half are: a slightly increased vulnerability to contamination right at the cut, and you would need double the growing space since each half-cake will have the same footprint as a full cake. I'd save the half cake idea for a later grow just to be on the safe side. If you get anything weird during the grow, like small shrooms, it will be difficult to diagnose the problem with an unorthodox method in there.

Mystique gave a great definition of a flush. I'll just want to add that it is very normal for the first flush to be the largest and for per flush yields to drop down as more flushes happen. You can get much better flushes by using the "second flush tek" that Mystique also mentioned. This is also commonly referred to as dunking. I'd recommend a different way of doing it though. This way is often called the "Dunk and Roll."

Right after birthing, rinse each cake and submerge them in the deepest pot of water that will fit in the fridge. You'll need to weight them down since cakes float. Most people just lace a heavy plate over them. Keep them on the bottom of the pot and fill it to the top since the extra water pressure from the depth will help force more water into the cells. Put the in the fridge for 24 hours then remove, rinse again, and roll in vermiculite. Place the in the terrarium and mist the vermiculite generously. You wan to hydrate it but not wash it off. Do the same dunk after every flush, but if the verm layer still looks good, you can omit the roll after post-flush dunks. Search for "dunk and roll" to learn more.

Dunking gets more water into the cakes. Water supply is often a major limiter of fruit size, so extra hydration is hugely beneficial. Many people are hesitant to dunk, but I have never seen anyone go back to not dunking after ding a batch of dunked and non-dunked cakes side-by-side. The difference is pretty much always VERY obvious, plus it's safe and easy.

Aborts are far more potent than mature mushrooms by weight, but are extremely small and have less potency per fruit. So..... 1g of aborts > 1g of mature  and  1 abort < 1 mature. Oh yeah, and during each flush, some mushrooms may grow at different rates. It's common to see some tiny ones when the first few mature. They aren't aborts until the caps start turning black. Small fruits will always be a darker red than anything more mature, but aborts will turn an actual black. Since you won't get many aborts from cakes (hopefully), I'd just throw them in with the rest of your harvest.

Like Mystique said, the tossing in a colonized piece and shaking idea won't work with the PF Tek. You can't shake a BRF jar, and if you did, you would mess up the verm layer. You can, however search around in the syringes section of the article library and find a way turn a piece of a colonized jar into a great live tissue inoculant for injecting into your next batch of jars. You can also use a piece of cake to inoculate a GRAIN jar by dropping it in and shaking.

Don't worry about casings for your first grow. Do some more reading - casings are heavily discussed.

One suggestion - wait 1 week after the jars are 100% colonized before you birth them. They will spend a week digesting their food no matter what - it may as well be in the perfectly sterile jars.

One more suggestion - Get god light. All the teks say "just enough to read by so they know what way is up." That's wrong, you want light in the 6500K spectrum (many "daylight" florescents). Brighter is better too. Run the light 12 hours a day. You'll end up with better pinsets and, in my experiences, bigger caps and shrooms in general. I like this light:

Incandescents are the worst light for shrooms. Research for more info on lighting.

--------------------
Check out my first ever TEK!
Shroom capsules with the Cap-M-Quik (pics)

InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

Re: My First Shroomery... guide me please! [Re: PowerOfTheCoir]
    #8632845 - 07/14/08 09:37 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I CANNOT believe you cannot get mushies out there.. I was in Kapaa on kuai, and I went and bought some (for 25 bucks for an eighth.. what a rip off).. but the rest of time we were there, we just picked them.. many cow pastures out there.. especially in and around princeville... shrooming in the jungle, chasing chickens.. and yes.. in hawaii, there are many a chicken out there.. at least on kuai...

have you ever looked through any pastures? hunting is very fun.. lol

Offlinefoliocb
always running
Male

Re: My First Shroomery... guide me please! [Re: DJYoshaBYD]
    #8633368 - 07/14/08 12:59 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

i live on maui... where everyone just smokes weed & meth unfortunately... and there appears to be a recent lsd fad going around... but no shrooms. i heard mountain shrooms aren't as visual... so i really havent gone picking. i know the spots, but theres barely any rain this summer.

edit: day 4 and now germination yet :frown: i just ordered 5 fresh syringes in case the ones i recieved for free were bunked.

Edited by foliocb (07/14/08 12:59 PM)

InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

#8633405 - 07/14/08 01:08 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

yea.. I ran into alot of tweaker.. some native guy at the skatepark in kapaa tried to pick a fight with me because I was from the mainland (kuai is very small, and not exactly a busy tour spot).. he didnt know Im a kung fu/kenpo practitioner.. yeah.. he will think twice next time.. lol

really, go out and try them.. you wont know about the potency till you eat them..

IF YOU ARE REALLY INTO HALLUCINOGENS, YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT YOU CAN STILL BE FFFUUUCCCKKKKEEEDDD UP, AND NOT HAVE LIFE CHANGING VISUALS.. haha

if you want visuals, eat some mescaline.. lol..

Im have no problem eating mushies, and not seeing very much.. I love the mental high, and the body fry.. visuals are a nice perk, but dont stay away from them "because they dont give good visuals.."

Offlinefoliocb
always running
Male

Re: My First Shroomery... guide me please! [Re: DJYoshaBYD]
    #8635190 - 07/14/08 08:32 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

lol true... anyway

after my first harvest... must i dunk overnight in distilled water, or will regular water work fine? also.. must i refridgerate them overnight, or not? hehe let me know

Offlinerobanero
β Lib
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in Tx
    #8635285 - 07/14/08 08:55 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Welcome to The Shroomery. I only use tap water. RogerRabbit says not to frig them, just soak at room temp and wash them under slow running water. I like the fine verm for my cakes so if thats readily available thats gonna work. MYSTIQUE and PowerOfTheCoir have you covered on the rest looks like. Take lots of pix and keep us posted.
Happy growing.

--------------------

310 open cap Hawaiians grown a 1 pint WBSF cake.

SPAWN RATIO CALCULATOR

My Little Hawaiians

Spawn Bag Tek

Offlinefoliocb
always running
Male

Re: My First Shroomery... guide me please! [Re: robanero]
    #8635314 - 07/14/08 09:00 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

ill take pics later tonight. it's basically going on day 4 now... and no signs of germination yet! is this normal? i left the tape on for a day or two, but took it off once i heard it was a bad idea. i basically have all of my jars in the cabinet above my fridge, always closed so its just darkness. is this a good idea... or should i just put it on my shelf in my room?

i just hope i waited long enough after steaming the jars... i let it cool for about 5 hours... lol i hope that was enough. the jars werent warm or anything when i inoculated them.

then again... the spores could be bunk, i really have no idea how old they are or where they were stored... all i know is that they haven't been used yet.

however, i just ordered about 8 syringes for $60... so if there is no germination by the time i receive my new syringes... should i just dump my jars, steralize them, then try again?

Offlinerobanero
β Lib
Male User Gallery

#8635353 - 07/14/08 09:10 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I use tyvek under the lids noc the the tyvek and don't cover the holes with anything else. I would give them 2 wks and then decide after that. How many holes per lid do you have? If you just used 1 in the middle it could take a couple of weeks to see any growth.

--------------------

SPAWN RATIO CALCULATOR

My Little Hawaiians

Spawn Bag Tek

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
mycologically driven individual
Male User Gallery

#8635408 - 07/14/08 09:19 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

jesus, robanero, who is that in that picture?  those knocks are awesomely huge without being funny shaped... amazing tits!

--------------------
[url=http:

Offlinefoliocb
always running
Male

#8635426 - 07/14/08 09:22 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

4 holes per jar. should i expose them to light, and just keep them perched on my shelf, or keep them in the dark cabinet above fridge?

Offlinerobanero
β Lib
Male User Gallery

#8635512 - 07/14/08 09:41 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Jen. 5 ft tall 105lbs. They are nice, but she turned out to be a freak, not in a good way either.

Keep them in the dark at 70 to 80 F. Myc is shy and doesn't like the light when its colonizing. Like I said I'd give them 2 wks and then decide from there, but you should see growth before then.

--------------------

SPAWN RATIO CALCULATOR

My Little Hawaiians

Spawn Bag Tek

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
Male User Gallery

#8635870 - 07/14/08 11:26 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

damn dude, that was your girlfriend?  she's hot as hell, those ones always turn out to be nuts though.... my last girlfriend was a fox, but she was out of her mind... and 105?  how much of that weight is in those tits, my god...

--------------------
[url=http:

Offlinerobanero
β Lib
Male User Gallery

Re: My First Shroomery... guide me please! [Re: SuchSmartMonkeys]
    #8637086 - 07/15/08 09:51 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

About a 90lbs. LOL They are heeeeaavy with little hard nipples. This may need to go in the Porn Forum. I may need to go to the PF if I keep thinking about her.LOL

--------------------

SPAWN RATIO CALCULATOR

My Little Hawaiians

Spawn Bag Tek

OfflineSuchSmartMonkeys
Male User Gallery

#8637532 - 07/15/08 12:06 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

what?! there's a porn forum on the shroomery here? post the pics without the hands, i know there's at least one! hehehehe

--------------------
[url=http:

Offlinefoliocb
always running
Male

Re: My First Shroomery... guide me please! [Re: SuchSmartMonkeys]
    #8637615 - 07/15/08 12:31 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

day 5, no germination :frown:

Offlinerobanero
β Lib
Male User Gallery

#8637627 - 07/15/08 12:34 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Thats all I have left. I took pix with a 35mm and she took the rest when I kicked her out. Had to scan that one.

--------------------

SPAWN RATIO CALCULATOR

My Little Hawaiians

Spawn Bag Tek

InvisibleLedd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Innerspace Flag
    #8637722 - 07/15/08 12:55 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

My Pesa jars took 10 days to show any sign. Evevn then, they were slooooow. Now, day 17 and they are flying, almost half done. 1- 10 nothing. 11 - 17 Flying through BRF. Patience is huge in this hobby.

--------------------
We mean nothing we do not mean to do.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale