Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Graduating pot sizes?
    #8618076 - 07/10/08 04:07 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I'm about to start growing some assorted enthos indoors in a kitchen that gets a lot of light. I'll be starting from seed. Mostly just tobacco and such.

I was wondering if there is any point in graduating pot sizes as the plant gets older? I plan to start these guys in those expanding peat tablets/pots. Then I plan to transplant the healthy ones to fairly large pots so the plant can mature to full size. Would graduating pot sizes some how help the plant?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Graduating pot sizes? [Re: Gumby]
    #8618160 - 07/10/08 04:29 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, as the plant grows they need more rootspace.
Big roots = big plant.

FH

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Re: Graduating pot sizes? [Re: felixhigh]
    #8618209 - 07/10/08 04:38 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Well yeah, I know that, but is there any reason to plant it in a small pot, wait till it out grows the pot, plant in a larger pot, etc.?

OfflineSpiderbaby
?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ireland Flag
    #8618396 - 07/10/08 05:12 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

some plants wont grow much on the surface but instead will devote most of their energy and nutrients to growing roots if they have space before growing leaves, stems and flowers. so the plant will appear to be growing slowly or look stunted.

so if you only slowly increase the pot size in graduations the plant will only grow a small amount of extra root and then make the most of the new soil by growing more leaves and flowers,

house plants dont need to be let develop massive deep root systems since they never experience drought and are given nutrients and such

oh and a pot thats far bigger than the plants old pot will increase the risk of water logging. there will be more soil gettin wet when you water but in the beginning there will be no roots to absorb the moisture.

and watering soil that doesnt have roots in it yet isnt good, at best it does nothing, at worst it leaches nutrients away, and waterlogs the soil which may promote fungal or algae growth

sorry if thats hard to follow, it makes sense to me but we tested the homemade cider earlier, im sure someone else will phrase it better,

Edited by Spiderbaby (07/10/08 05:31 PM)

Invisiblefushock
 User Gallery
    #8618473 - 07/10/08 05:31 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Pot size is kind of complicated, in my opinion. You probably don't want to go from small pot to large pot as this creates the right conditions for root rot. But you don't want to keep the plant small by confining its roots.

Id say, graduate pot sizes but don't go nuts with it. If you have terracotta pots, you can have a little larger that necessary pots without as great of a fear of root rot as with plastic. Also, if you water with a wick, that'll give you a little more room to work.

OfflineZinglons Acolyte
Wizard Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: Andromeda Galaxy
    #8618492 - 07/10/08 05:36 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

start them in small pots then when theyre well established, transplant them into permenant pots

--------------------
And they wandered off.. nine ways till bedfast.
-----
"And lets pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'cause theres bugger-all down here on earth!"  -Monty Python's "The Universe Song" from The Meaning of Life
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely considered as a bad move."  -Douglas Adams "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"
"If the words 'life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on." -Terence McKenna

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies