Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Your ideas on my ideas on terrarium setup
    #860775 - 09/03/02 04:24 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

Howdy,

I'm trying to work the kinks out of my terrarium setup, and i need your help. Here's the setup:

1) The grow chamber is a 50 gallon Sterilite container ($10, Walmart). I have fitted the lid with plexiglass and placed a small aquarium light attached to a timer on the plexiglass for use during the fruiting phase.  My growing containers are three smaller Sterilite containers with lids fitted with filter patches. the lids will be removed during fruiting, naturally.

2) In the upper right side of the tub i have siliconed a small 12volt fan (ripped from an old computer power supply) which i have spliced to a 12volt AC/DC transformer. (like the one you use to plug in yr CD player or phone base). the fan will blow air out of the chamber and it is fitted with a filter patch to prevent contams from entering during idle periods.  In the upper left side of the tub i have siliconed a piece of plastic tubing (Home Depot) connected to an ultrasonic humidifier which i will fill with an H2O2/H2O solution. (will the H2O2 adversely affect my growth?) Both of these will be setup on a simultanous timing cycle.  The idea is that the humidifier will pump moist air into the chamber and the fan will evacuate that same air.  The only problems i can foresee is water condensing on fan mechanism or filter patch, and i'm not sure how the humidity will maintain.

3) For heat i have a 100 watt submersible fish tank heater.  I'm not sure how i'm going to use it.  If i put it in the bottom of the tub, fill the tub with water and h202 and place the trays on bricks i may get contams or too high humidity. i have considered placing it in a quart jar inside the chamber. i have considered placing it in the humidifier somehow. i also have a heating pad...

suggestions?  :grin:

- Herbert Laplace, Holland

Edited by vaporbrains (09/03/02 07:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: ]
    #861065 - 09/03/02 06:42 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

Anonymous

Re: You ideas on my ideas on terrarium setup [Re: Macey Howard]
    #861107 - 09/03/02 07:02 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for that insightful quip, moe. you now have 9914 posts!

Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: Your ideas on my ideas on terrarium setup [Re: ]
    #861165 - 09/03/02 07:34 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

First, I don't really feel this is an advanced cultivation post, but I digress...

Concerning your terrarium, it sounds as if it will work fine. I think you should eliminate the fan. With a humidifier, a fan would be superfluous. Also, using the aquarium heater in a jar would be preferred. This way it will be easier to remove when you want to reduce temps for fruiting, and you won't have all of that standing water to worry about.

Peace

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

OfflineDinoMyc
Ipsa scientiapotestas est
Re: Your ideas on my ideas on terrarium setup [Re: mickey_rourke]
    #861330 - 09/03/02 09:35 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

i agree.
post is being moved.
----------
1) Sounds good; casing assumed.
2) a) Exhaust fan should be near bottom of terrarium.
__b) Is the fan rated for humid environments?
__c) What size tubing?
3) what brand of heater? some are excellent and will hold pirfect temp. In a jar or, better yet, in an otherwise sealed container at the bottom of the terrarium, is ok.

--------------------
If I made affront, I apologize.
If I made affirmation, I apologize.
I merely came to listen, came to say.

InvisibleShaw

Re: You ideas on my ideas on terrarium setup [Re: ]
    #861588 - 09/03/02 11:32 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

definatly keep the fan. It's on a timer right? you only want it on for short intervels. Stammats recommends 3 complete air exchanges per hour. i think this is excessive considering your large terrarium. I would have it evacuate air only a few times a day. similar deal with the humidifier.

--------------------

InvisibleShaw

#861601 - 09/03/02 11:37 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

a few more things. Depending on the type of filter patch it likely isn't designed for that amount of flow. If you want to use a heater, i prefer to put it on a 1/2 gallon canning jar. Somebody used to put perilite and a bubbler with h2o2 in there too, but the humidifyer should have this covered.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Your ideas on my ideas on terrarium setup [Re: Shaw]
    #861630 - 09/03/02 11:51 AM (21 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for your ideas and suggestions.  i think i'm just going to make an incubator for the casings and use the 50 gallon container for a fruiting chamber. less hassle. i have decided to keep it simple, stupid.

DinoMyc: the heater is a 100 watt one from walmart. it looks submersible. i will find out soon enough as i have submersed it already. : )  i am considering taking it back to walmart (they'll take anything back, i've already returned two burned out ultrasonics) and getting a trionic 150 watt.

mickey: regarding the advanced / not advanced ..i am sometimes confused as to what qualifies as "advanced." obviously discussions on tryptamine additives or experimental beer soaked cardboard agar substitutes are for the advanced forum. i hardly ever use the regular forum as i have always thought of it as a place for newbies to learn the basic PF tek and related things. i figured any post pertaining to experimental terrarium construction would belong in the advanced forum. guess not. oh well...no hard feelings.  :grin:

Edited by vaporbrains (09/03/02 11:55 AM)

Offlineseattlekid
Stranger

#862112 - 09/03/02 04:15 PM (21 years, 6 months ago)

sounds good the only thing i could think of is switching to a cool mist humidifier and losing the fan. Put the humidifier on a timer and it should take care of air exchange and humidity. i have a friend who hasn't had a whole lot of luck with an ultrasonic but maybe he just gave up to easily. Seems like it would take a fair amount of experimenting to find the optimal time setting for both the computer fan and the ultrasonic. When you use the cool mist humidifier you only have to worry about one variable. But im sure you idea would work great too...it just depends on what you want to do. Hope this helps some
Oh yeah and are you using the plexiglass as a lid on the top? If you are, my friend found that by putting a ring of weather striping (the kind used for doors...found at home depot) around the top for the plexiglass to sit on made a much better seal which really helped for maintaining temp and humidity.

--------------------
Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck