Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Prescription Drug Addiction Reaching Alarming Levels, Says DEA
    #8607125 - 07/08/08 05:45 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

link

If you know 10 teenagers -- or have seen 10 different teens at the mall or anywhere else in America -- chances are that one of them is abusing the dangerously addictive painkiller OxyContin or either of the amphetamines Ritalin or Adderall, and two of these kids are getting high on the addictive painkiller Vicodin. Dependence can start at any age, but the recent increase in prescription drug addiction among teens and young adults is nothing short of “alarming”, according to a Drug Enforcement Agency report released last Friday.

The most recent statistics from the Department of Health and Human Services reveal that 6.7 million people aged 12 and over, that’s nearly 3 percent of Americans, were current non-medical abusers of psychotherapeutic drugs -- pain relievers, anti-anxiety medications, stimulants and sedatives. In the two years since that survey, other surveys indicate that these numbers are continuing to rise, and that prescription drug addiction is beginning to eclipse addiction to the traditional illicit “street drugs”.

Results of a separate study of seventh through twelfth grade students from the Partnership for a Drug-Free America showed for the first time in its 17-year history that teenagers are more likely to have abused a prescription pain medication to get high than illicit drugs like Ecstasy, cocaine, crack and LSD.

In fact, the numbers of people falling prey to prescription drug addiction, particularly young people, may be rising even faster than the numbers of people who just try prescription drugs for the first time -- a grim testament to the awesome power of psychoactive prescription drugs to swiftly create a prescription drug addiction.

Estimates based on the 2006 survey showed that 5.2 million people 12 and older used pain relievers, 1.8 million used tranquilizers, 1.2 million used stimulants, and 0.4 million used sedatives -- just to try to get high. Except for tranquilizers, these estimates are all increases from the corresponding estimates for 2005. Vicodin and OxyContin, two of the most addictive opioid painkillers, continued to be abused in record numbers.

Most people are concerned about prescription drug addiction. But if you’re an American adult, you’re also concerned about the high cost of medical care and with the rising number of emergency ward closures across the country due to those costs. Consider this: in 2005, the most recent year for which figures are available, 66 percent, or two-thirds, of the 599,000 emergency room visits involving the nonmedical use of drugs of any kind, were caused by controlled substances -- 172,000 involved benzodiazepines, 196,000 involved opiates, and the rest a mix of other prescription drugs. Many of these drugs can lead to prescription drug addiction.

If you, a member of your family, or a friend of any age appears to be at risk of prescription drug addiction, don’t hesitate to recommend that they seek help immediately at a medical drug detox center.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCoaster
Baʿal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Valley
Re: Prescription Drug Addiction Reaching Alarming Levels, Says DEA [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #8607128 - 07/08/08 05:46 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

get them addicted to weed instead
:potleaf:

--------------------

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Prescription Drug Addiction Reaching Alarming Levels, Says DEA [Re: Coaster]
    #8607234 - 07/08/08 06:40 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

oxycodone is my prescription drug of choice, but i would rather smoke weed anyday

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

Offlinedill705
Amazed
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Cat's Cradle
Re: Prescription Drug Addiction Reaching Alarming Levels, Says DEA [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #8607446 - 07/08/08 08:52 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

In fact, the numbers of people falling prey to prescription drug addiction, particularly young people, may be rising even faster than the numbers of people who just try prescription drugs for the first time -- a grim testament to the awesome power of psychoactive prescription drugs to swiftly create a prescription drug addiction.

Wow, I wonder if that's true? I know I was honest when I took those things, but I don't think most of my other friends that were using, but actually cared about their image to the school administrators, were telling the truth.

I mean, there would be nights this 16 year old girl would show up at my buddies apartment with handfuls of mostly addies, but sometimes a couple healthy doses :puke: of  vicodin. We'd tell her we wouldn't open the door until she brought us some pills, sometimes she'd actually run home to get them instead of saying no. :shrug:

Once someone would get the pills, we'd make her leave because she was underage. But she would still try to get in, like twice a week for awhile, and we just kept having these awesome parties were everyone would just stay up and rail addies and play beerpong. I held up the weed supply, and brought extra goodies, mushies, rolls (that first summer with rolls:hippie::tongue2:), etc.

Man, those were the days... Then life went suddenly down hill, we started hangin' at a new place, ungodly cheap oxy hit specifically my hands, I ended up doing half of all that went through me for about three months.

I stopped when he dried up, but I had developed a stomach ulcer, and had severe pain. Opiates are always my drug of "choice", but I'd rather take OC's than smack cuz you always know your dose. Oxy just feels cleaner, too.

I don't think even a full third of the people involved in any of it past weed told the truth on those surveys.

I just wonder how accurate they really are???

--------------------
My advice is to find those things that give pleasure and do them often without too much attachment and relax and wait for the show to end.

-Icelander-

I like free markets and all. Truly I do, at least in general, but there needs to be some kind of oversight in recognition of sustainability. Life works the same way, on a bunch of sustainable systems. Why not honor what made us what we are and take some lessons? Nature FTW!

~dill705~

Invisibledumbfounded1600
Stranger

Re: Prescription Drug Addiction Reaching Alarming Levels, Says DEA [Re: dill705]
    #8607548 - 07/08/08 09:32 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Hmmm. I wonder why? Probably because IT'S THE SAME EXACT THING? Dumb fucking idiots. They'll always blame it on the people though.

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
Re: Prescription Drug Addiction Reaching Alarming Levels, Says DEA [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #26834744 - 07/20/20 06:24 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:
oxycodone is my prescription drug of choice, but i would rather smoke weed anyday

Ah HA! This where it started going down, eh?

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoReactive
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cocalero
Re: Prescription Drug Addiction Reaching Alarming Levels, Says DEA [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #26835380 - 07/21/20 02:32 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I hear laxatives are all the rage for oxycodone lovers. :douchewink:

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Prescription Drug Addiction Reaching Alarming Levels, Says DEA [Re: tyrannicalrex]
    #26858273 - 08/02/20 07:26 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

tyrannicalrex said:
Quote:

Cognitive_Shift said:

Ah HA! This where it started going down, eh?

Yeah I started with Oxycodone.  In college I was able to get the 80mg little green OxyContin pills.  Which led to Heroin shortly after, which led to injecting heroin directly into the bloodstream, which led to a decade long heroin addiction.  I have no more veins left.  Before I got clean I used up the last of my neck and my chest.  Other then my penis, my head/face and under the tongue I have no veins anywhere I can hit even if I wanted to relapse.  I shot dope in my arms, my hands, my fingers, my legs, my feet, my ankle, my hips, my chest and my neck.  Not because I wanted to hit in all of those places but because those were the only places I could find a vein.  All of them are collapsed.  It's amazing I made it out of that lifestyle alive and healthy.

InvisiblefeeversM
Male

Loc: Flag
    #26859533 - 08/02/20 06:57 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Ah, old thread. I was wondering how people would still be getting their hands on prescription meds. I know people with debilitating pain that can barely even get tramadol or neurontin these days

Invisibletyrannicalrex
Strange R
Male User Gallery

Loc: subtropics
    #26860311 - 08/03/20 08:55 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

So happy you made it out of that man! That is the MOST addictive thing I have ever seen. I was an IV drug user, but it was coke and speed, sometimes mixed!:eek: Haven't done IV since 1998 maybe 1997. I have no desire to either.:thumbup::heart::thumbup: It's kind of ironic as I'm a nurse now and there's all these fresh clean needles and sterile solution to do it with. My ex GF was diabetic when I was doing it so I never shared needles and always had fresh.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom