Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

Loc: Dirdy SOUF Flag
the concept of 'stress' wasn't developed until the 1950's
    #8599955 - 07/06/08 06:32 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_%28biological%29

Quote:

History and Usage
The term "stress" had none of its current general senses before the 1950s. As a semi-psychological term referring to hardship or coercion, it dated from the 14th century. It is a form of the Middle English destresse, derived via Old French from the Latin stringere – to draw tight. [14] It had long been in use in physics to refer to the internal distribution of a force exerted on a material body, resulting in strain.

In the 1920s and 30s, the term was occasionally being used in psychological circles to refer to a mental strain or unwelcome happening, and by advocates of holistic medicine to refer to a harmful environmental agent that could cause illness. Walter Cannon used it in 1934 to refer to external factors that disrupted what he called "homeostasis". But a new scientific usage developed out of Hans Seyle's reports of his laboratory experiments in the 1930s. Selye started to use the term to refer not just to the agent but to the state of the organism as it responded and adapted to the environment. His theories of a universal non-specific stress response attracted great interest and contention in academic physiology and he undertook extensive research programmes and publication efforts.[15]

However, while the work attracted continued support from advocates of psychosomatic medicine, many in experimental physiology concluded that his concepts were too vague and unmeasurable. During the 1950s Selye turned away from the laboratory to promote his concept through popular books and lectures tours. The US military became a key center of stress research, attempting to understand and reduce combat neurosis and psychiatric casualties. Seyle wrote for both non-academic physicians and, in an international bestseller titled "Stress of Life", for the general public. A broad biopsychosocial concept of stress and adaptation offered the promise of helping everyone achieve health and happiness by successfully responding to changing global challenges and the problems of modern civilisation. He coined the term "eustress" for positive stress, by constrast to distress. He argued that all people have a natural urge and need to work for their own benefit, a message that found favor with industrialists and governments.[15] He also coined the term "stressor" to refer to the causative event or stimulus, as opposed to the resulting state of stress.

From the late 1960s, Selye's concept started to be taken up by academic psychologists, who sought to quantify "life stress" by scoring "significant life events", and a large amount of research was undertaken to examine links between stress and disease of all kinds. By the late 1970s stress had become the medical area of greatest concern to the general population, and more basic research was called for to better address the issue. There was renewed laboratory research into the neuroendocrine, molecular and immunological bases of stress, conceived as a useful heuristic not necessarily tied to Selye's original hypotheses. By the 1990s, "stress" had become an integral part of modern scientific understanding in all areas of physiology and human functioning, and one of the great metaphors of Western life.[15] Focus grew on stress in certain settings, such as workplace stress. Stress management techniques were developed.

I invite any discussion on how the way we think about psychological strains affects our overall well-being.

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:
You constantly make posts thatr fling middle school insults at people you don't like mixed in with maladjusted psychopathic comments about wanting to beat up the other poster with a crowbar.

You know how shit you are, you just don't give a fuck for precisely that reason.

I disendorse you.[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewhattheheck
Chief Love Lover
Male

Loc: Denver Colorado
Re: the concept of 'stress' wasn't developed until the 1950's [Re: TheFakeSunRa]
    #8601596 - 07/06/08 05:43 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

The people that I have known that work the hardest and keep the best attitudes basically don't buy into the belief of stress. I know this is far from a scientific study on my part, but it's interesting how "stress" is introduced into our society as "normal".

Great post, and I hope it gets rolling, it could be a cool discussion.

--------------------
A society whose whole idea is to eliminate suffering and bring it's members the greatest amount of comfort and pleasure is doomed to be destroyed -Thomas Merton

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

Re: the concept of 'stress' wasn't developed until the 1950's [Re: whattheheck]
    #8603226 - 07/07/08 06:00 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I think maybe not thinking of it as stress but as something more specific may be beneficial. Like, instead of just thinking, "Fuck! I'm stressed!" if you think, "Goddamn! I'm worried I might lose my job." then you have something specific to deal with. But on the other hand, just thinking about stress in general and doing things to help you with 'stress management', like exercising, might be smart as well.

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:
You constantly make posts thatr fling middle school insults at people you don't like mixed in with maladjusted psychopathic comments about wanting to beat up the other poster with a crowbar.

You know how shit you are, you just don't give a fuck for precisely that reason.

InvisibleChronic7

Re: the concept of 'stress' wasn't developed until the 1950's [Re: TheFakeSunRa]
    #8604487 - 07/07/08 03:08 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

concepts & stress go together so well, one always brings the other.

concept free = stress free

--------------------

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

Re: the concept of 'stress' wasn't developed until the 1950's [Re: Chronic7]
    #8607411 - 07/08/08 08:32 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Chronic777 said:
concepts & stress go together so well, one always brings the other.

concept free = stress free

Is that a Buddhist perspective?

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
    #8607631 - 07/08/08 10:13 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Society wants us to accept stress as normal, because the way our society functions is totally abnormal.

In traditional hunter gatherer societies it was very rare to spend more than 6 hours working on anything. Those 6 hours a day by everyone would cover all the needs of the tribe.
When I was working at my old(horrible) job I had bosses keep me around for 10-17 hours a day sometimes.
My only spare time was the time I spent at home. However a lot of that time I spent cooking, cleaning and doing other tasks that would have been included in my 6 hours of personal work.

So where does all our extra energy go?
To the bankers.

The federal reserve charges interest on all American money. So essentially America has just spent the last 80-100 years maxing out a big invisible credit card.
The richest people in the world are pocketing the interest, and making ridiculous things for themselves.

Meanwhile we all get stressed out after a 12 hour day at work, and wonder why. I think it's because the amount of work we do doesn't have a real correlation in our life to how happy/successful we are. It's easy to think working harder will improve your life, but I don't think it will. I think working for yourself will improve your life.

--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

Re: the concept of 'stress' wasn't developed until the 1950's [Re: Heffy]
    #8608171 - 07/08/08 01:14 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Well said Heffy

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains