Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShadowxel
Stranger
 User Gallery
New to the community, Seeking some knowledge.
    #8595110 - 07/04/08 02:27 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Greetings all, Im new to the community and new to growing and I had some questions. Ive been lurking for a few days and reading up on as much material as I can. My bit of backdrop is that Im looking into growing for a hobbie and I had a few questions that I couldnt answer by lurking.
Here is the situation, Ive ordered a Syringe of B+ and Ive decided to go all in on this. The guide Im following is the simple mans guide.

http://www.shroomery.org/8410/Simple-Cubensis-Growing-Technique#TheDogg

Ive gotten my materials set up, now Im waiting on spores. Here is my small list of questions, Im hoping someones will know.

#1. Was B+ the right strand for me? I was told from a friend that it would be a wise move to go with B+ as its a fairly easy strand. Should I have aimed for something else? Im working with BRF and Verm and I wanted to be sure it would yield well enough.

#2. If I have chosen a good strand that will work with my materials, How big of a yield am I expecting? I know its very hard to determine at this point, as nothing is ever in stone, but I wasnt sure how big this could get. Am I to expect pounds? or much much less? Im sorry if this is a bad question to ask, but I figured someone with experience might have an answer or 2.

#3. Dunking. Ive read on it and I know now how to do it. But I was curious if someone with experience with B+ had some advice about it. Also, how many "grows" will I get? (lost the term) Is there a method in specific for different strands? Or is it all universal for different strands.

I would like to thank anyone who answers my post, as I know you must get a whole lot of nubs here, and I feel like a fool for posting. But I figure Im better off asking and getting rejected rather then not asking at all.

Thanks for your time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewickedsick
<(^.^<)<(^.^)>(>^.^)>
 User Gallery

Re: New to the community, Seeking some knowledge. [Re: Shadowxel]
    #8595284 - 07/04/08 03:22 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

i would say just follow the brf tek in rr's video / or use the 'mushroom growing made easy' video(i perfer this tek)... pounds? you need to start small [my opinion] then slowly move to bigger grows :tongue::thumbup: you need patience in this hobby.....

--------------------
enjoy your seizure
"Ninja Jar ©"Tek
Mycelium Water TEK

[quote]RogerRabbit said:
You don't need to drill a lot of holes.  Some growers choose to fan several times per day instead.
RR [/quote]

OfflineShadowxel
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: New to the community, Seeking some knowledge. [Re: wickedsick]
    #8595314 - 07/04/08 03:33 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Aye I figured as such. I'm going into this without fully knowing what I'm getting out of it. Thus the question :smile: Thanks for the response though.

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #8595484 - 07/04/08 04:26 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

1.) strain selection doesn't matter, they will all grow under the same parameters
2.) using the PF method expect between 3-5 grams dry per cake.  It's possible to yield more, but those are the average dry weights.
3.) Again, strain doesn't matter, you'd dunk your B+ cake like you would dunk any other cube strain.  It's hard to say how many flushes you will get, there's too many variables to consider.  You might get one flush and have the cake catch a contam, you may get seven flushes before that happens.  You should get at least two flushes out of your cakes though.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
Re: New to the community, Seeking some knowledge. [Re: coda]
    #8595530 - 07/04/08 04:45 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

1. The strain doesn't matter, you chose the right species, ps.cubensis, any "strain" will grow in the same parameters.
2. NEVER expect lbs from cakes. You'll want to look into bulk methods for that kind of yield, i would suggest searching for "ohmatic's monotubs" and "Hydr0420's Simple Invitro poobags". You can use your brf cakes to "spawn" to these bulk products.
3. You should always dunk, and do so under running water, not sitting still in non moving water in a tupperware dish in the fridge. why? because running water will wash away any contams that might have settled onto the cake. there real is no need in coldshocking on subsequent flushes. Some say it helps, others say it's useless practice, I don't do it because I always spawn my jars to a bulk substrate. so yes, dunk, but there really is no way to tell you how many flushes you wll get, dunking will get you a ew, and don't pull off any pins that haven't developed when you dunk, leave those on there, i don't give a shit what pftek says, leave them, they turn into giant shrooms.

Offlinerobanero
β Lib
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in Tx
Re: New to the community, Seeking some knowledge. [Re: jeetered]
    #8596825 - 07/05/08 09:17 AM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Welcome to The Shroomery. Keep us posted on your grow and post lots of pix for us we like them a lot. Happy growing.

--------------------

310 open cap Hawaiians grown a 1 pint WBSF cake.

SPAWN RATIO CALCULATOR

My Little Hawaiians

Spawn Bag Tek

Offlinenumonkei
Back! From thedigestive tractof dave theiguana!

Loc: A Tree
Re: New to the community, Seeking some knowledge. [Re: robanero]
    #8597273 - 07/05/08 12:25 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Dunking works well by sitting it in the fridge for ~24hrs in the same jar it was birthed from. Just rinse the cake, rub excess off the inside of the jar, fill the jar ~.5 up with water, drop in the cake, apply lid.

Easy as pie! The cold helps stall any contams that may find their way into the water, and 24 hrs. is plenty, (be careful going over 24 hrs.), and it's really fucking convenient.

:shrug:

~Monk

Edited by numonkei (07/05/08 12:52 PM)

OfflinePowerOfTheCoir
Newbie Sympathizer
Male User Gallery

Re: New to the community, Seeking some knowledge. [Re: numonkei]
    #8597302 - 07/05/08 12:33 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

When you dunk, try to used the deepest container you can. Put the cakes on the bottom. They'll float, so hold them there with a heavy plate (and stack heavy things like mugs on the plate if necessary). Fill the container with as much water as you can. The more water is above the cakes, the greater the pressure will be on them. Higher pressure is believed to help "push" the water into the cells.

--------------------
Check out my first ever TEK!
Shroom capsules with the Cap-M-Quik (pics)

Invisiblethemange
Senior Citizen
Male

Re: New to the community, Seeking some knowledge. [Re: PowerOfTheCoir]
    #8597507 - 07/05/08 01:53 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

1. B+ works well, but most strains do. the thing about ps.cubensis is that they are all basically the same..with very minor variants. the only problem ive had with B+ before was that it stalled on me a couple times..randomly. (thus causing me a pain when i had to spawn/case/fruit at different intervals)

2. cakes just don't produce that much(5-10g dry total off a cake is expected..although people have definitely show that you can get more..its not really feasible)

3. you're reffering to "flushes" and if you dunk and roll between each one, and no greens or blues or pinks..etc. decide to appear and smite you, then you could easily get 4 or 5 flushes. each one more than likely yielding fewer,but larger fruits.

GOOD LUCK! :tongue2:

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
Re: New to the community, Seeking some knowledge. [Re: themange]
    #8597559 - 07/05/08 02:16 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Well cakes are really simple. I never used anything but 1/4 pints but avg between 2.5-3 grams dry on first flush. Make sure you dunk and roll prior to every flush. Putting some damp verm in a lid and putting the cake in the lid while it fruits seems to help me get fatter fruits. After the cakes are ready to go into the FC, the main thing you gotta focus on for healthy shrooms is keeping the fruiting chamber humid yet also applying enough fresh air exchange. B+ is good I don't know why people call it a newb strain. Check out my avatar thats a B+ that grew off popcorn, came in the 2nd flush of the casing. 21 grams fresh.

--------------------

InvisibleDJYoshaBYD
Male

Re: New to the community, Seeking some knowledge. [Re: ray40cal]
    #8597738 - 07/05/08 03:19 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

strain doesnt matter. SUB strain does.. dont worry about that.. just do some jars with a syringe, and read read read read read read read... the more you read, the more you will learn.. different teks, methods of preparation, and plans for building fruiting chamber are allllll over this site, right at you fingertips..

start on the cultivation page
http://www.shroomery.org/4/Grow-Mushrooms

and then use the search function to research things that you find confusing or interesting.. everything has been discussed millions of times, and there are plenty of threads that will provide maximum salvation...

welcome aboard

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
Re: New to the community, Seeking some knowledge. [Re: DJYoshaBYD]
    #8598233 - 07/05/08 06:33 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

I wish there was an easy way to convince you that building all those fruiting chambers and doing pftek was really a good way to learn, but not the most efficient way to grow, the bulk teks really are good easy teks also. Grain isn't as hard as it sounds, so don't forget to think about trying a bulk tek out also. Like, u can spawn straw balls with pftek cakes :P

OfflineShadowxel
Stranger
 User Gallery

#8600702 - 07/06/08 12:54 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you everyone for your comments and support. I've finished getting all my materials now, just waiting on spores. As soon as there is a sign of visuals I'll start putting pictures of the batch up. I'm really excited, this should be an amazing experience. I was able to get all the materials together in the last 2 days, so once the spores are here I'm going to bottle them that very day.

Once again, thanks for your support. I'm praying for a good first batch.

Offlinenonlinear
armour plated farmer
Male

#8600830 - 07/06/08 01:34 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

jeetered said:
I wish there was an easy way to convince you that building all those fruiting chambers and doing pftek was really a good way to learn, but not the most efficient way to grow, the bulk teks really are good easy teks also. Grain isn't as hard as it sounds, so don't forget to think about trying a bulk tek out also. Like, u can spawn straw balls with pftek cakes :P

yea, if i were to start out noob again, i would definately jump into wbs grains and skip cakes all together.  cakes are quicker and less messy to prepare, but the yields suck and having to inject into all those tiny jars is a waste of spores for a beginner who is ordering them.  the yield_mass:prep_time is WAY higher for grains than cakes.

--------------------

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #8601095 - 07/06/08 03:10 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Welcome O person who is newer than I. At least now I can get a return on all those spore prints I've sent out! (No-one probably mentioned this to you yet.) All the really new guys have to send one spore print to whoever mentions it first every day for the first two weeks of noobieness. I'm guessing I'm the first one today?

LOL, just saying hello.

Try here for a convenient jumping off start to the reams of reading you will do;

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/1910621#1910621

Welcome and good luck!    :rockon:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Offlineray40cal
omnitrippint
Male User Gallery

Loc: midwest side
Re: New to the community, Seeking some knowledge. [Re: nonlinear]
    #8601432 - 07/06/08 05:05 PM (15 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

nonlinear said:
Quote:

jeetered said:

yea, if i were to start out noob again, i would definately jump into wbs grains and skip cakes all together.  cakes are quicker and less messy to prepare, but the yields suck and having to inject into all those tiny jars is a waste of spores for a beginner who is ordering them.  the yield_mass:prep_time is WAY higher for grains than cakes.

Word. I hate waiting on cakes to colonize, except now that i have a dozen in circulation plus some casings so there's always some fruits growing. It's so much easier to prep grain than cakes once you know how to do it. I just like the way cakes look and haven't had one contam yet.

BTW when winter comes along, I can not find vermiculite anywhere, except the web. I tried last year to no avail. Christmas tis the season for rye and jiffy mix.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate