Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Sacrifice
    #8594522 - 07/04/08 11:06 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Why is personal sacrifice viewed by society as a good thing? The giving of something one values greatly for something not valued as highly seems like the undermining of one's integrity to me.

Why is the man who dies saving a stranger viewed more heroically than someone who lives his life to completion, making the most success out of his potential?

In my opinion, the latter man is much more of a hero because he values his life more than anything in the world, while the former values the life of a stranger that he has never met more than his own.

What has created this view in society that one's life should not be the most important thing to a human being?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebackfromthedead
Activated

Re: Sacrifice [Re: Redstorm]
    #8594602 - 07/04/08 11:39 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

What has created this view in society that one's life should not be the most important thing to a human being?

A better place...??

Science is like...  Where??  It goes in all directions for a long time.  Heaven??  Where??  We got telescopes, spacecraft, and most likely technologies yet to be revealed.

Heaven??  Where??

Show me.

:I will not do that so that I know for myself, heavens no!!:mushroom2:

--------------------

Offlinebackfromthedead
Activated

Re: Sacrifice [Re: backfromthedead]
    #8594605 - 07/04/08 11:40 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Besides...  Then one might want to live forever...??  That's a bad idea...:shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleChronic7

#8594608 - 07/04/08 11:42 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I dont agree, your basically saying a selfish ego is "better" than living for others?

Correct me if im wrong...  :shrug:

And imo society values selfish people more than it does selfless people, just take a look around, we worship self obsessed celebrities not saints & sages.

--------------------

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #8594623 - 07/04/08 11:48 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Look at this way:  if you were in mortal peril, would you rather have "tribe" members who would risk their lives to save you, or who would stand idly by as you perished?  It's a selfish POV, and a selfish preference.  We each want to survive, yet we want others around us who would put our life ahead of their own.  The inner battle is between the need to belong (which was intimately tied to survival during most of our existence) and the need to survive. 

Society exalts those who "sacrifice" themselves because we all selfishly want others to put us first.  :shrug:

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sacrifice [Re: Veritas]
    #8594633 - 07/04/08 11:52 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Veritas said:
Quote:

Look at this way:  if you were in mortal peril, would you rather have "tribe" members who would risk their lives to save you, or who would stand idly by as you perished?  It's a selfish POV, and a selfish preference.  We each want to survive, yet we want others around us who would put our life ahead of their own.  The inner battle is between the need to belong (which was intimately tied to survival during most of our existence) and the need to survive. 

Society exalts those who "sacrifice" themselves because we all selfishly want others to put us first.  :shrug:

That does make sense.

While you may hope one would sacrifice themselves to save your life, should you rationally expect one to do so? I certainly would not.

I believe many people believe they are entitled to be saved, whether it is having their lives saved, being saved from poverty, or being saved from personal responsibility. These are all leading to the decay of society (especially the latter).

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sacrifice [Re: Chronic7]
    #8594640 - 07/04/08 11:56 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

your basically saying a selfish ego is "better" than living for others?

Yes, much, much so. Every human's moral prerogative is to first live for themselves. Only by living for yourself can you possibly hope to do anyone else any good.

Why live for others? Your life is your own to live and no one is entitled to share any of your success or failure. If you feel like sharing, that is one thing. But to be expected to share or, even worse, coerced to share is nothing less than tyranny.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #8596303 - 07/04/08 11:55 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Why is personal sacrifice viewed by society as a good thing? The giving of something one values greatly for something not valued as highly seems like the undermining of one's integrity to me.

I think the greatest human quality is compassion; the ability to recognize another human as being not fundamentally different from oneself, and therefore not worth more than oneself.  Most people recognize the logic of this and we revere those who sacrifice something of their own to act upon that understanding.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#8596313 - 07/05/08 12:00 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
coerced to share is nothing less than tyranny.

Whose doing this?

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sacrifice [Re: TheCow]
    #8596372 - 07/05/08 12:33 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Government through law and society through the defining of acceptable norms.

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sacrifice [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #8596379 - 07/05/08 12:36 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

WhiskeyClone said:
Quote:

Redstorm said:

I think the greatest human quality is compassion; the ability to recognize another human as being not fundamentally different from oneself, and therefore not worth more than oneself.  Most people recognize the logic of this and we revere those who sacrifice something of their own to act upon that understanding.

The thing is, we are different in that your life is yours and my life is mine.

I can not possibly see how you can value a stranger's life equally as yours. Can you honestly say that my life is just as important to you as your own? If only one of use could live, would you give up your own life for mine or any other stranger's? I know I wouldn't.

Invisiblethedefone
deus ex machina

Loc: Gondwana
    #8596421 - 07/05/08 12:55 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Why is the man who dies saving a stranger viewed more heroically than someone who lives his life to completion, making the most success out of his potential?

Quote:

Society exalts those who "sacrifice" themselves because we all selfishly want others to put us first.

Risk.  Those who risk everything they have to save that same thing for another are placed in a higher regard due to the risk for a higher ideal.  Anyone and everyone will obey instinct and avoid the hurtling bus; only those who are willing to step into the bus' path to safeguard an ideal are worthy of the higher regard.   

And/Or...

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Quote:

your basically saying a selfish ego is "better" than living for others?

Yes, much, much so. Every human's moral prerogative is to first live for themselves. Only by living for yourself can you possibly hope to do anyone else any good.

To say so is to deny evolution.  Man is not a solitary creature.  It is a pack mentality.  Is your brother a stronger hunter, or better provider?  Are you stronger in numbers, and the risk of the loss of one is worth the possible loss of two?  Also, associating morality into a question of survival is ill-advised, as such things are not moral in nature, but instinctual.

--------------------

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Sacrifice [Re: thedefone]
    #8596441 - 07/05/08 01:17 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

because it confirms your ties to society, that you are inside it instead of being an outsider. by sacrificing you are investing in society, thus you wouldn't want to change/destroy it because you've given to it so much. i think. did i miss the point completely?

--------------------

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#8596477 - 07/05/08 01:41 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Government through law and society through the defining of acceptable norms.

Care to shed light on where they define this as an acceptable norm?

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#8596483 - 07/05/08 01:46 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:

Sacrifice

It's heroic of firefighters to risk their lives to help other people.  It is not heroic for Bill Gates to have strongarmed the competition in the early 90's to secure his subpar OS as the de facto standard. 

he·ro    Audio Help  /ˈhɪəroʊ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[heer-oh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -roes; for 5 also -ros.
1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal: He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.
3. the principal male character in a story, play, film, etc.
4. Classical Mythology.
a. a being of godlike prowess and beneficence who often came to be honored as a divinity.
b. (in the Homeric period) a warrior-chieftain of special strength, courage, or ability.
c. (in later antiquity) an immortal being; demigod.

maybe you misunderstand what the definition of a hero is?  Personally if I wasn't such a huge worthless human being Id aspire to live my life helping people.

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Sacrifice [Re: TheCow]
    #8596609 - 07/05/08 04:57 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

In my opinion, the latter man is much more of a hero because he values his life more than anything in the world, while the former values the life of a stranger that he has never met more than his own.

Because somehow, the two dominant philosophies of America, Christianity and Capitalism, somehow came together. The interplay of these two philosophies is sublime. Capitalism is fierce individualism, while Christianity... What is Christianity? You look at the supposed ideal of Christianity, the Christ figure, and it would seem to be the exact opposite of this, selflessness. But its a bit more complicated, because generally Christians do not practice what they preach.

How exactly do these contradicting philosophies come together like this? The only way is a corruption of one ideal or the other, and it seems that Christianity, being corrupt already for thousands of years is the best choice.

Although this doesn't exactly answer the question of how these philosophies come together, it is interesting to note that Christianity actually has somewhat of a capitalistic quality in itself. Anyone at all versed in Christianity is well aware of the inquisition of Christianity. Is this anything other than the self interest of Christianity as a whole? This same way of functioning can be seen in other ways too, I think Veritas was pretty specific to describe this...

Quote:

Society exalts those who "sacrifice" themselves because we all selfishly want others to put us first.

I don't know if this is the only version of sacrifice, but there isn't any doubt in my mind that it is the dominant version.

This wouldn't be a problem if we were genuine about it.

But it seems like politicians shift from one "ideal" to the other, often specifically capitalism and Christian morals, but what they are really doing is shifting from true philosophical opposites Form and Chaos. This gap is as wide as it gets, and because somehow we have fully embraced both these discordant ones over all other philosophies,(and repressed the sublime dissonance that arises) politicians are allowed to play this entire spectrum. Until this issue is explicitly addressed, politics will be philosophically meaningless.

Perhaps I could be more politically savy myself, I admit that much of what I say is not interesting or convincing. But you have to admit that its damned confounding how these two philosophies were both embraced by the same kind of people.

Nietzsche had alot to say about exactly this, maybe ill come back and drop some quotes.

Edited by daytripper23 (07/05/08 05:21 AM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #8600967 - 07/06/08 02:30 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
Why is personal sacrifice viewed by society as a good thing?

Couldn't answer; I have no clue how society "views" things. :shrug:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinedrok
carpetbagger
Male User Gallery

Loc: on my high horse
Re: Sacrifice [Re: fireworks_god]
    #8611079 - 07/09/08 01:32 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

it all breaks down to, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" Im sure most of us here like it when people do things for us tho nobody "likes" sacrificing when its happening, but its a wonderful feeling when its all over with, at least in my experience

--------------------
CLICK HERE FOR GOOD MUSIC

CLICK HERE FOR GOOD MUSIC

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

Re: Sacrifice [Re: thedefone]
    #8611345 - 07/09/08 02:50 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

thedefone said:
To say so is to deny evolution.  Man is not a solitary creature.  It is a pack mentality.  Is your brother a stronger hunter, or better provider?  Are you stronger in numbers, and the risk of the loss of one is worth the possible loss of two?  Also, associating morality into a question of survival is ill-advised, as such things are not moral in nature, but instinctual.

Pack mentality ruled...in the past.  That doesn't mean humans have to stay that way.  How is it denying evolution, to see the human race change how they operate?

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Sacrifice [Re: Sleepwalker]
    #8611937 - 07/09/08 07:27 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

We still operate from a pack mentality and there is no evidence of any change in that. Not very likely.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order