Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTheEyeIsWatching
Stranger

My college major ... do I take the risk?
    #8592112 - 07/03/08 04:03 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

So, I am in need of some advise. I will be on my third year of college (shooting for a B.A.) come this fall, and I have chosen to 'individualize' my major ... this means that I can take courses from different disciplines and mix them into my own creation. I have chosen film studies ... I am really interested in film and have been ever since I was young.

I have high hopes of working with the film media in some way in my future ... whether it be writing, directing, filming, or shooting documentaries.

Now the past couple of days I have been very insecure about my decision and have been debating on whether I should change this major to Psychology (which also interests me greatly). Our individualized majors don't seem to be as cemented as the 'official' strict majors, so I am a bit nervous about how regarded my degree would be when I graduate.

I enjoy Psychology a lot, but I am more of an expressive person.  I love film and everything about it, but is it too big of a risk? Wouldn't I be better off majoring in Psychology now and possibly saving money to pursue film in my future?

Age old question ...
Do I take the risk?

Thanks guys :smile:.

Edited by TheEyeIsWatching (07/03/08 04:21 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineimagine
Psychic
Male

Loc: CA
Re: My college major ... do I take the risk? [Re: TheEyeIsWatching]
    #8592417 - 07/03/08 05:15 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I enjoy Psychology a lot, but I am more of an expressive person.  I love film and everything about it, but is it too big of a risk? Wouldn't I be better off majoring in Psychology now and possibly saving money to pursue film in my future?

that's what i would go for. i'm seeking a career in psychology as well. isn't psychology a way of expressing yourself as well? i mean, you DO listen to others and help them seek answers for their problems but, at the same time you learn about yourself and how the mind works which also helps your expressive self. you can always do the film thing on the side or after you have the psychology career down pat.

Offlinesunflower
We're here....
Female User Gallery

Re: My college major ... do I take the risk? [Re: imagine]
    #8592667 - 07/03/08 06:33 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

You have the chance now.  Do it.  Go for what you love.:heart:

--------------------

Invisibleelbisivni
    #8593003 - 07/03/08 08:44 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I think, if you're really interested in these creative oriented subjects, then you don't NEED classes for them.  Taking some classes to gain technical skill and learn jargon could help, but ultimately your talent is what will make you a success in such fields.

A degree in psychology could provide a good "fall-back", or steady job outside of your creative endeavors.  I took the creative route, and although I enjoy what I'm doing and am quickly learning more about it, my creative skills have become more focused towards job oriented projects and less on my own personal work.

Also, if it turns out you really don't have anything unique to offer, or you don't have great luck in the business, then those creative degrees don't help much.

I have two very close friends who choose to drop their BS majors and go for BA's.  Both are extremely talented and intelligent.  One landed a dream-job and the other has been struggling for quite a while just to get on his feet.

In the end, you'll probably do what feels right.  Just make sure you throw some critical thinking in there too.  Good luck!

:rockman:

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

#8593637 - 07/04/08 12:21 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Do what you love. Shit, there are millions of jobs in the film industry and if you really love it you'll be passionate enough to succeed.

Offlinejomama
Loc: pasadena, ca
Re: My college major ... do I take the risk? [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #8593880 - 07/04/08 02:40 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Dear TheEyeIsWatching,

I'd suggest talking to your college adviser.  If your university offers an open liberal arts degree (or something to that effect) where you can build your own major, perhaps you can do both.  I think this could be especially applicable considering you're interested in documentary film. 

Again, I'd suggest you discuss this with your adviser, and members of the faculty in  both fields of study.  Honestly, I think they'd be interested and supportive.  Their job as educators is not only to teach, but to help foster your curiosity and make you want to learn. .. I went to a hippy liberal arts school tho.

Personally,  I majored in psych :wink: but that's just me.  Also, I understand how you can agonize about this decision, but as far as once you hit, "the real world", I believe your specific college major won't make as big a difference as you think.  I have friends getting their MA in Psych with degrees in philosophy.  My sister works in documentary film and she studied sociology and history.  I teach.

So basically, i think life and work and careers is a little more flexible, and maybe this is not as big a risk as you think. :wink:

but back to the point!  try talking to some people and I think they can make both work for you.

--------------------

OfflineTheEyeIsWatching
Stranger

Re: My college major ... do I take the risk? [Re: jomama]
    #8593947 - 07/04/08 03:24 AM (15 years, 8 months ago)

I really appreciate all of the responses. :smile:.

My biggest problem right now is that I will be going abroad this coming semester and will only be earning some of my general credits. Earlier on in my college career I made plenty of poor class choices because I wasn't sure about what I wanted to do.

I am very limited in what I can do if I want to graduate while I am still eligible for aid. I have three semesters left after I return from abroad and have to use all of those credits towards a major in either Psych. or film. I really wish I could do both, but my college has this thing where it requires that at least half of the courses in your major are upper level ... I can't successfully do that and attempt to have two majors.

jomama,
I will definitely be planning on talking with professors and my adviser before I make any decisions, but I have changed my mind so many times that I think they are sick of me :p. Hopefully I can work something out though.

Anymore input would be greatly appreciated :smile:.

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
    #8594947 - 07/04/08 01:32 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Go for film. Its obviously what you love and what you will enjoy doing.

While you work your way into the film business you can still save up some cash on the side and maybe later get your degree in psychology.

elbisivni, thats not a great idea. Regardless of whether you take a creative major or not school will definitely help. It helps you to understand the business side of the industry, how people interact, industry etiquette, and for people looking to hire you (its much easier to get hired with a degree, otherwise youre stuck with indie projects).

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

Invisibleelbisivni
Re: My college major ... do I take the risk? [Re: eligal]
    #8597487 - 07/05/08 01:44 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

Sure, I agree with you to an extent.  I never said it would be a waste of time.  But becoming successful in film does not require a degree, which is not the case for psychology.  One of the people who works in my unit does not have a degree, and has the same job as me.  I get paid a little more, but what I was saying is that it's not necessary.

The people I've graduated with who majored in filmography have all been having very difficult times finding decent work.  I think getting the science degree is the most prudent choice in a real world, young adult foundation building experience.  While working that as his intro career he could go ahead and take film classes with the money he makes.  But there's the reverse chance that an arts degree won't be reliable and he'll get stuck.

As I said, it's totally up to him and either way I'm sure things will turn out well.  Just try a little deductive reasoning with some probability thrown in, and you'll see where I'm coming from.

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #8597807 - 07/05/08 03:40 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

yes, take risks, win or lose you will be living.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleUrbanFungi
Stranger
Re: My college major ... do I take the risk? [Re: Icelander]
    #8600673 - 07/06/08 12:46 PM (15 years, 8 months ago)

At my college, there was an option called "Liberal Studies".  You could pick two minors or build your own curriculum from 70% Liberal Arts subjects.  I picked German and Mathematics minors because I jumped from major to major, I was always enrolled in German or Math.

Now that I am applying for jobs, I get the feeling interviewers are looking at "Liberal Studies" and tossing my app without looking at what I studied.  Just something to consider.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom